E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Valet Key and Comfort Access

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 07:04 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got out of the car yesterday and left the key fob on the floor, driver's side. Touched the handle and the door locked.
I didnt know it at the time but when I came back to the car I could not unlock it.
Looking through the window I could see the key on the floor looking right back at me

Long story short I went and got my spare to open the car.

Although comfort access has prevented this in the past, either the key fob was in a perfect dead zone and/or the timing was perfect as I shut the door
and touched the handle to lock it.

I tried to lock the car with the key fob in the same place afterwards but could not. I tried different variations of key positions. Fluke?
Maybe I'll try later to see if I can lock the key in the trunk, the trunk usually re-opens itself if you accidentally do this.

Reminder:Carry plastic valet key (in glove comparment) even if you have comfort access.
Old 11-02-2007, 07:09 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Thanks for the warning -- for me though, I don't see why I'd even bother to put the key on the floor or in the trunk. It's always in my pocket -- that's the whole point of CA, isn't it?
Old 11-02-2007, 07:13 AM
Members

My Ride: 2007 530i SMG Jet Black/Beige Sport/Prem/Cold, comfort, split, shades.

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='489000' date='Nov 2 2007, 11:09 AM
Thanks for the warning -- for me though, I don't see why I'd even bother to put the key on the floor or in the trunk. It's always in my pocket -- that's the whole point of CA, isn't it?
I stopped at the dealer and left the car running and closed the door. After about 10 minutes I realized that I left the key fob on the passenger seat, the doors were locked with the engine running! I had the valet key in my wallet and opened the door. My service advisor was extremely puzzled and said that should never have happened...no clue.
Old 11-02-2007, 07:18 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Originally Posted by akirax' post='488999' date='Nov 2 2007, 10:04 AM
Reminder:Carry plastic valet key (in glove comparment) even if you have comfort access.
Just to clarify, as Chappy points out, carry the valet key in your wallet and DON'T leave it in the glove box. This is this first place thieves look, knowing many folks leave these keys there. Makes it easy to steal the car...
Old 11-02-2007, 07:21 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

On my old car, I had a situation one time where my car ended up locked with the key in the ignition and the engine running. Not sure how it happened but thankfully it was in my own driveway so I just went inside and got the spare key.

From that point on, I disabled the automatic re-locking if no door is opened setting in iDrive just to be safe...
Old 11-02-2007, 07:26 AM
Members

My Ride: 2007 530i SMG Jet Black/Beige Sport/Prem/Cold, comfort, split, shades.

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='489010' date='Nov 2 2007, 11:21 AM
On my old car, I had a situation one time where my car ended up locked with the key in the ignition and the engine running. Not sure how it happened but thankfully it was in my own driveway so I just went inside and got the spare key.

From that point on, I disabled the automatic re-locking if no door is opened setting in iDrive just to be safe...
...Ayrton Senna is also one of my favorite F1 pilots.
Old 11-02-2007, 07:31 AM
Senior Members

Of course now BMW Assist can remotely unlock the car if this happens but I have ALWAYS carried the spare plastic key on my person.
Old 11-02-2007, 08:22 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='489000' date='Nov 2 2007, 11:09 AM
The time i left it in the trunk was on accident, I had the key in one hand after I opened the trunk(as opposed to just touching the trunk to open it with key in pocket) and after shuffling some contents in the back I apparently put the key down and forgot I did this but each time I closed the trunk it re-opened and after realizing I left the key in the trunk I was like kewl!!

When I left the key on the floor it was by accident, I thought it was in my pocket. When I got and locked the car with the secret C/A touch , I just knew it was in my pocket, but it wasnt.
Old 11-02-2007, 08:25 AM
Members

Originally Posted by JSpira' post='489017' date='Nov 2 2007, 11:31 AM
Of course now BMW Assist can remotely unlock the car if this happens but I have ALWAYS carried the spare plastic key on my person.
also, Called BMW Assist (Option 5)and they said it was not available on my model/build.
Old 11-02-2007, 09:46 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

Interesting. I tried leaving the key for on the drivers seat and I couldn't get the door to lock with the engine off. I'll play around with it some more over the weekend.

Quick Reply: Valet Key and Comfort Access