E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Is valet key available on E60?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2005, 08:06 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I noticed that the E60 comes with two master keys and one wallet key. Since the wallet key is not supposed to be used on a regular basis, does BMW offer a permanent valet key as they did in the past? I'd like to be able to leave my car with a valet attendant but not have my laptop stolen out of the trunk, if possible.

Thanks!
Old 02-21-2005, 08:37 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

That gray plastic wallet key is the valet key. Use your master key to manually lock the trunk and the valet key won't open it. You can lock valuables in there while someone else parks the car. Same applies to the glove box I believe, lock w/ the master key and the wallet/valet key won't unlock it.
Old 02-21-2005, 08:43 AM
Members

I think what Genoindc meant was that he wanted a more permanent valet key because he would be using it on a daily basis. I think he was asking if they make a non-plastic wallet/valet key- I don't know the answer, but just wanted to clarify the question.
Old 02-21-2005, 11:12 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

I don't think there's a metal valet key but either way, when using valet keys and valuables are in the trunk, be sure to factor in the following little "bug" in the car's design...

If you have a ski bag behind the rear seat armrest, the entire cassette can be removed from inside the cabin. From there, you can reach inside the trunk and possibly pull things out through the hole. In addition, if you have fold-down rear seats and the valet/thief is slightly knowledgeable about the car, he can reach in and pull the release of the fold-down seats which will give him access to everything.

I don't know about cars with no ski bag. Does the hole still exist? Maybe there's a "blank" cassette that can still be pulled out?
Old 02-21-2005, 11:53 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by Rudy' date='Feb 21 2005, 09:12 PM
I don't think there's a metal valet key but either way, when using valet keys and valuables are in the trunk, be sure to factor in the following little "bug" in the car's design...

If you have a ski bag behind the rear seat armrest, the entire cassette can be removed from inside the cabin.? From there, you can reach inside the trunk and possibly pull things out through the hole.? In addition, if you have fold-down rear seats and the valet/thief is slightly knowledgeable about the car, he can reach in and pull the release of the fold-down seats which will give him access to everything.
[snapback]92883[/snapback]
But you can leave stuff in a bag that you have locked, and it's safe.
You only need to be aware of this design "problem".
Old 02-21-2005, 12:06 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Iceman' date='Feb 21 2005, 03:53 PM
But you can leave stuff in a bag that you have locked, and it's safe.
You only need to be aware of this design "problem".
[snapback]92913[/snapback]
It's not safe if you can flip down the seats and grab it. (Unless you mean lock the bag to the car...if so, then why bother with the valet key at all?)

At least on the E39, you could lock the fold-down seats with a key and the ski bag door had to be opened from inside the trunk...
Old 02-21-2005, 01:28 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Rudy' date='Feb 21 2005, 04:12 PM

If you have a ski bag behind the rear seat armrest, the entire cassette can be removed from inside the cabin.? From there, you can reach inside the trunk and possibly pull things out through the hole.? In addition, if you have fold-down rear seats and the valet/thief is slightly knowledgeable about the car, he can reach in and pull the release of the fold-down seats which will give him access to everything.

I don't know about cars with no ski bag.? Does the hole still exist?? Maybe there's a "blank" cassette that can still be pulled out?
[snapback]92883[/snapback]
Security exists as a deterrent. It can only delay the theft of your secured assets. Putting your stuff in a locked trunk is a better deterrent than putting your stuff in a trunk that the valet has access to open with your key.

On a side note, there are welll-known attacks on the security of even modern cars - a car's bus is like an unsecured network with no crypto or passwords - one can jack into the bus from an exterior rearview mirror and unlock the doors, start the car, etc. if you have the right knowledge.
Old 02-21-2005, 01:41 PM
Super Moderator

Tha's why the modern car thief carries a laptop...
Old 02-21-2005, 01:49 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by GenoInDC' date='Feb 21 2005, 05:28 PM
Security exists as a deterrent.? It can only delay the theft of your secured assets.? Putting your stuff in a locked trunk is a better deterrent than putting your stuff in a trunk that the valet has access to open with your key.

On a side note, there are welll-known attacks on the security of even modern cars - a car's bus is like an unsecured network with no crypto or passwords - one can jack into the bus from an exterior rearview mirror and unlock the doors, start the car, etc. if you have the right knowledge.
[snapback]92957[/snapback]
Obviously nothing is 100% secure but there's a huge difference in how they implemented the valet security in the E39 (which had no real security flaws) and the E60 (a fairly big flaw that allows quick, easy, no tools required, access to a supposedly secured area.)

I guarantee you that there are rings of thieves (with ties to valets at parking garages, etc.) that will eventually gain this knowledge and target cars like ours once they have a chance to "spread the word" about this flaw. I'd be pretty nervous in a place like an NYC hotel where my car might be valet parked for days at a time. Wasn't nervous at all with my E39...
Old 02-21-2005, 01:51 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Rudy' date='Feb 21 2005, 11:49 PM
I guarantee you that there are rings of thieves (with ties to valets at parking garages, etc.) that will eventually gain this knowledge and target cars like ours once they have a chance to "spread the word" about this flaw.
[snapback]92967[/snapback]
They allready know, Rudy. And they use it.
That's one of the reasons my E60 has a tracking device. It would even have it, if my BMW Assist would do the same. Just because they don't know about it, and even if, they don't know where it is and how it looks.

Quick Reply: Is valet key available on E60?