E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Vacuum pump small hose routing?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2017, 08:11 AM
New Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2005 545i
Default Vacuum pump small hose routing?

Hi, I'm the midst of my valve and timing cover gaskets job and after reconnecting the vacuum pump, noticed the other end of the small tube (near the bottom) was torn off.

I have about two feet of tubing now attached to the vacuum pump and cannot find the other end for the life of me.
Does anyone know the route this hose takes through the engine bay?

I've read it goes under the intake and others have said it goes across the front of the engine and then the left side of the engine bay.
Some people say to just cap it off.
I would like to reconnect the hose to the end from which it tore.

Thanks for any help!
Old 05-30-2017, 08:25 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
My Ride: e60 530i e21 320i
Model Year: 2005 1981
Engine: M54 M10

What model and year e60?
Old 05-30-2017, 08:27 AM
New Members

2005 545i. Thanks!
Old 05-31-2017, 05:47 PM
New Members

Default Figured out where the small vacuum hose went.

In case anyone comes across this post: Apparently whoever worked on the vehicle previously left the end of the small vacuum hose from the front of vacuum pump severed and it just laid across the front of the engine.
This vacuum line is supposed to be connected to the tailpipe flap at the end of the right muffler pipe. It comes through the left side of the engine bay, (through the fire wall by the brake booster) across the front of the engine and attaches to the front of the vacuum pump. This vacuum line did come through the firewall on my car, but someone connected it to the nipple on top of the air intake pipe (just in front of the throttle body).
The vacuum hose for the nipple on top of the air intake pipe can either be capped or on some cars is attached to a T connector and then goes to the 2 pressure release valves that sit on top of my valve covers. Apparently, if the diaphragms in those pressure release valves fail, the gasses go into the air intake tube rather than the environment.

So, I am buying vacuum tube and a T connector and getting this sorted out. This being just one of the puzzles as I changed out the cylinder head gaskets, upper timing gaskets and related seals.
Thanks. Go Sox!