E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

E60 550i clutch upgrade: NEED HELP

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2020, 09:41 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2007 550i 6 speed, sport package
Default E60 550i clutch upgrade: NEED HELP

Hello, I am aware of the clutch options out there for the n62. Oem, luk, oem + from Sachs, Sachs stage 2 4 puck, and then spec stage 2+.... basically I want to upgrade my clutch and flywheel if possible.

The spec stage 2+ Clutch is not compatible with stock flywheel. It says it needs to be installed with the “spec lightweight aluminum flywheel”... DOES ANYONE KNOW WHERE TO PURCHASE THE SPEC LIGHTWEIGHT FLYWHEEL!?! That’s my current dilemma.

or if someone is aware of a performance clutch and flywheel and could direct me in the right direction that would be great.
Old 12-17-2020, 05:41 PM
New Members

My Ride: E60 550i

Originally Posted by zackmetz
Hello, I am aware of the clutch options out there for the n62. Oem, luk, oem + from Sachs, Sachs stage 2 4 puck, and then spec stage 2+.... basically I want to upgrade my clutch and flywheel if possible.

The spec stage 2+ Clutch is not compatible with stock flywheel. It says it needs to be installed with the “spec lightweight aluminum flywheel”... DOES ANYONE KNOW WHERE TO PURCHASE THE SPEC LIGHTWEIGHT FLYWHEEL!?! That’s my current dilemma.

or if someone is aware of a performance clutch and flywheel and could direct me in the right direction that would be great.
did you ever found out about the flywheel? Do you have the factory one for sale.
Old 08-04-2021, 10:13 PM
New Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same issue. The rep from spec said the clutch should be compatible with any 550i flywheel. However, I turned mine in to them as a sample, and they're designing an aluminum one right now. He said once they're finished that it will be an available product.
Old 11-15-2022, 12:39 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2009 BMW 550i 6MT

Originally Posted by Gsholbert
I had the same issue. The rep from spec said the clutch should be compatible with any 550i flywheel. However, I turned mine in to them as a sample, and they're designing an aluminum one right now. He said once they're finished that it will be an available product.
Sorry for digging up an old thread, but did you ever get this flywheel installed? If so what clutch did you use? How do you like it? I will be needing a clutch soon and am thinking about upgrading to a lightweight flywheel. I had an E39 M5 with a single mass aluminum flywheel and it was my favorite mod.
Old 11-15-2022, 05:01 AM
New Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tallfreak
Sorry for digging up an old thread, but did you ever get this flywheel installed? If so what clutch did you use? How do you like it? I will be needing a clutch soon and am thinking about upgrading to a lightweight flywheel. I had an E39 M5 with a single mass aluminum flywheel and it was my favorite mod.
I ended up going with the spec stage 2+. There were a lot of issues with getting the flywheel designed, mostly due to a single engineer at spec. Not 100 percent sure of it ever became a full product or not. The mod itself was great, car drove like a bat out of hell. Don't take my experience as the only truth, because I'm pretty sure there were even more issues with the installation, and I'm still dealing with everything at the moment, but there was always a good bit of chatter on the clutch, and now after less than 7k miles, it's slipping. I'll try to remember to update this response when I get an answer from them. But first I have to deliver my car there so they can look at it.
Old 11-15-2022, 02:18 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2009 BMW 550i 6MT

Originally Posted by Gsholbert
I ended up going with the spec stage 2+. There were a lot of issues with getting the flywheel designed, mostly due to a single engineer at spec. Not 100 percent sure of it ever became a full product or not. The mod itself was great, car drove like a bat out of hell. Don't take my experience as the only truth, because I'm pretty sure there were even more issues with the installation, and I'm still dealing with everything at the moment, but there was always a good bit of chatter on the clutch, and now after less than 7k miles, it's slipping. I'll try to remember to update this response when I get an answer from them. But first I have to deliver my car there so they can look at it.
I had their stage 2+ on my M5 and it chattered. They have a flywheel now for $800. I can't remember how much it weighs off the top of my head but I think its around 18 lbs.

I contacted clutchmasters and they will make a flywheel, but I'll probably go with the spec flywheel and clutch masters clutch. I want a higher clamping pressure plate and they have one on their fx250 clutch that is supposed to have good street manners.