E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Used 535i buyback is tempting me

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 07:54 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK. This topic has obviously been covered quite a bit.

I am currently home on FMLA and I have been searching for a vehicle that will fit 2 kid seats in relative comfort, and still allow me to recline the drivers seat as needed so I can fit too (6'5", 272). I currently drive a Infiniti G35 that comes off lease in 2 months.

The G is approximately the same size as a 3 series, so I know I definitely need something larger than that. I drove a Passat CC but the anemic power (to me) and front wheel drive just don't do it for me. I have decided that the 5 series, specifically the 535i has everything that I would want in a commuter (power, style, looks, handling, space).

Of course the main issue is the HPFP. I originally found it hard to believe that BMW has not yet resolved this issue. They resolved the Alusil/Nikasil engine issue, as well as the s54 bearing issue relatively quickly in the past, so I expected a clear solution or fix for this already. The fix may be the rebuilt 933, but I cannot find any evidence of this anywhere. I am also quite surprised that the media has not BLASTED them about this issue.

Here's the million dollar question. The price on a '08 535i is right where I would need to be on a new vehicle. I can get a nicely optioned one for a great price, but many have been buy-backs that were sold at auction.

Should I not be detered by the fuel pump issue due to a solution being on the horizon, or do I change direction and get a slightly older/higher mileage 550i/545i or newer/lower mile 530i? Is the HPFP issue bad enough that I should stay far away for fear of being stuck with a lemon?

Thanks for your help. FYI, I have owned several E36 M3's and a '01 530i sport. I have done most repairs (headgaskets, suspension, exhaust, cams, and cooling systems) myself so I am not scared of repairs. What I do not want is to be on I-285 in Atlanta where I live with my wife and 2 boys in the back seat and lose power in the vehicle traveling @ 75 MPH due to a failed or failing HPFP.

Mike
Old 06-11-2010, 03:49 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 550i Black Saphire/Black Dakota Leather- Loaded- M5 Appearance Package, Sport Package, Pro logic 7 Premium Sound, Navigation, Cold Weather Package, Comfort Package, Heads-up Display, park Distance Control, Bluetooth, Active Steering, Electric Rear Sunshade, Rear Folding Seats, Front/Rear Heated Seats, Xenon lights, Satelite Radio- Extended Maintenance, CPO (Considering Tire/Wheel Insurance)

Good question. I would vote for a used 550i that is in great shape and all. I have been thinking about selling my car on and off, but figured I would keep it cause nothing else compares and I am not in a position to shell out $72k for a new one.

So, get a 2006/2007 550i and you will not regret it. I actually know someone trading in a 550i 2008 w/16k miles. Buy back is around 44k CPOed too! GREAT CAR!
Old 06-11-2010, 04:02 AM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

Originally Posted by gregg2gs
Good question. I would vote for a used 550i that is in great shape and all. I have been thinking about selling my car on and off, but figured I would keep it cause nothing else compares and I am not in a position to shell out $72k for a new one.

So, get a 2006/2007 550i and you will not regret it. I actually know someone trading in a 550i 2008 w/16k miles. Buy back is around 44k CPOed too! GREAT CAR!
+1

550 is a great car.
Old 06-11-2010, 04:12 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd be leary on the buy back no matter what. Cali has one of the easiest lemon laws to collect on. So if it came from there I'd at least consider it. Just remember that the buyback on the title will have an effect on you when you try selling it or trading it in. If it came from Cali and I plan on keeping the car 7 to 8 years I would seriously consider it. Otherwise I won't touch it.

Have you got in a 5 series yet? Because being 6' 5" and putting the seat all the way back your not leaving a whole lot of room in the rear seat. I'm 6' and with where I have the seat its fine for kids but teenagers(depending on size) will begin to feel a little cramp but not to bad.

I also agree with everyone else just look for a 550i. You can get some great deals on them. If you go the CPO route BMW has some very cheap interest rates(almost free money). Which should allow you to spend a couple extra K and still be at a comfortable payment compared to your local bank rate.

If the 5 size doesn't work try a 7. Some good deals out there on them also.
Old 06-11-2010, 07:10 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2010 VW Passat Wagon 2.0l Tsi Grey/Grey Budapest 18" Lost to HPFP issues: 08 535i sport pkg Lost to Dreaded E61 Sun roof leaks: 07 E61 530Xi

Just say no to a 535I HPFP buyback... 3+ Hpfp failures in a Year!
550I is the way to go...
Also Buybacks can't be CPO'ed
Old 06-11-2010, 07:11 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by skylolow
I'd be leary on the buy back no matter what. Cali has one of the easiest lemon laws to collect on. So if it came from there I'd at least consider it. Just remember that the buyback on the title will have an effect on you when you try selling it or trading it in. If it came from Cali and I plan on keeping the car 7 to 8 years I would seriously consider it. Otherwise I won't touch it.

Have you got in a 5 series yet? Because being 6' 5" and putting the seat all the way back your not leaving a whole lot of room in the rear seat. I'm 6' and with where I have the seat its fine for kids but teenagers(depending on size) will begin to feel a little cramp but not to bad.

I also agree with everyone else just look for a 550i. You can get some great deals on them. If you go the CPO route BMW has some very cheap interest rates(almost free money). Which should allow you to spend a couple extra K and still be at a comfortable payment compared to your local bank rate.

If the 5 size doesn't work try a 7. Some good deals out there on them also.
I'm 6 foot also, and I concur that 5 series would be a tight fit for you.
Old 06-11-2010, 07:27 AM
Members

My Ride: 535
Model Year: 2008

Wouldn't a buyback show up on Carfax? If Carfax shows clean service history and a lack of fuel pump running issues, I would be tempted with the 535. It's not as though every X35 vehicle has pump issues. I understand that BMW dealers buy their vehicles coming off lease at auctions. That's what I was told anyway.