E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

USB port?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2005, 01:46 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Rides: 1992 525i (Sold), 2000 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (Sold), Everett-Morrison Cobra - built 1998, 2005 Nissan Frontier Pick Up (daily driver)

Originally Posted by AC_S5' date='Sep 30 2005, 06:03 AM
Yeah with the rate of today's technology, virus will soon travel through airwaves and into your brain.
[snapback]177237[/snapback]
I can see you standing at the corporate HQ giving the briefing of your life and someone sends a command to your brain "I feel diarrhea coming"... so sorry floks.. gotta go..
Old 09-30-2005, 02:18 AM
Contributors

My Ride: In a place where the Mercedes density is the highest in the world (no. of MB per square kilometer) I choose a Bimmer, why? because of one thing "The Ultimate Driving Experience" My Ride: 523i Steptronic, Silver Grey Exterior, Black Interior with Black Dakota Leather and Maple Wood Trim. Chrome Grill, Style 123 rim, Airbags everywhere, PDC, Rain sensor, Auto lights, Moveable front armrest, Advance Climate Control, Glass Sunroof, Auto dimming interior and exterior mirror with foldable functions, Extended Lights package, 6 CD changer in glove box, Power seats with memory, Power adjustable steering wheel, Power rear sunblinds. Add ons: 123 wheels, chrome grill, K&N Hi flow filter, Eibach Pro Kit, e60.net decal and 24,000km Past rides: 2001 Nissan Xterra SE 1999 E39 523i 1999 E46 323i 1996 Acura Integra LS

Originally Posted by santiago fonseca' date='Sep 30 2005, 05:46 PM
[quote name='AC_S5' date='Sep 30 2005, 06:03 AM']Yeah with the rate of today's technology, virus will soon travel through airwaves and into your brain.
[snapback]177237[/snapback]
I can see you standing at the corporate HQ giving the briefing of your life and someone sends a command to your brain "I feel diarrhea coming"... so sorry floks.. gotta go..
[snapback]177327[/snapback]
[/quote]

you got it man
Old 09-30-2005, 05:22 AM
das
Site Founders

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2021 F93 M8 Competition

Wireless, including Bluetooth and 802.11, doesn't have to be insecure. Or, more specifically, the data traveling over them doesn't have to be insecure. Perfectly secure communications can occur with encryption. People get all hung up on things like "omg, if my phone/car/whatever has Bluetooth, that means somebody can hack into it!!!" No. If the vendor has a really, really poor implementation, maybe. But it's all about the end-to-end security of the application, not the protocol. Bluetooth and 802.11 can be totally open, but as long as the data going over the channel is secure, as long as there is authentication and authorization that happens end-to-end, then it's not a problem. With 802.11, we have that level of control as an end user. With Bluetooth, we don't quite yet. There are also some steps the users can take. E.g., with Bluetooth, things like not leaving your devices discoverable, and that sort of thing.

Unfortunately, some manufacturers' implementations have left, er, something to be desired. Like any technology, it must be implemented properly. But it's not a foregone conclusion that just because something has Bluetooth automatically means it's hackable. And for instances like banks, etc., not using wireless technologies, it's not because they're "insecure", it's because the CAN be insecure, and instead of devoting resources to ensuring wireless security, they do things like ban all use of 802.11 and Bluetooth in the corporate setting. It's no indication about whether or not those technologies can be used securely; they can be. It's about limiting your exposure and allocating resources, so don't read anything into that, either...

For some basic background on the current security concerns surrounding Bluetooth, see:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bluetoo...urity_concerns

For 802.11, see:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WiFi#Security
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/802.11#Security
Old 09-30-2005, 09:45 AM
New Members

My Ride: Rides: 1992 525i (Sold), 2000 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (Sold), Everett-Morrison Cobra - built 1998, 2005 Nissan Frontier Pick Up (daily driver)

Originally Posted by das' date='Sep 30 2005, 03:22 PM
Wireless, including Bluetooth and 802.11, doesn't have to be insecure. Or, more specifically, the data traveling over them doesn't have to be insecure. Perfectly secure communications can occur with encryption. People get all hung up on things like "omg, if my phone/car/whatever has Bluetooth, that means somebody can hack into it!!!" No. If the vendor has a really, really poor implementation, maybe. But it's all about the end-to-end security of the application, not the protocol. Bluetooth and 802.11 can be totally open, but as long as the data going over the channel is secure, as long as there is authentication and authorization that happens end-to-end, then it's not a problem. With 802.11, we have that level of control as an end user. With Bluetooth, we don't quite yet. There are also some steps the users can take. E.g., with Bluetooth, things like not leaving your devices discoverable, and that sort of thing.

Unfotunately, some manufacturers' implementations have left, er, something to be desired. Like any technology, it must be implemented properly. But it's not a foregone conclusion that just because something has Bluetooth automatically means it's hackable. And for instances like banks, etc., not using wireless technologies, it's not because they're "insecure", it's because the CAN be insecure, and instead of devoting resources to ensuring wireless security, they do things like ban all use of 802.11 and Bluetooth in the corporate setting. It's no indication about whether or not those technologies can be used securely; they can be. It's about limiting your exposure and allocating resources, so don't read anything into that, either...

For some basic background on the current security concerns surrounding Bluetooth, see:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bluetoo...urity_concerns

For 802.11, see:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WiFi#Security
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/802.11#Security
[snapback]177365[/snapback]

DAS, you are speaking as if you have a bucket of technology knowledge on the subject and we all (I'm sure) appreciate your insight on this. You're are probably 100% correct in your assessment of the technology and in a perfect world, you'd be 100% correct on the security issue, but this is not a perfect world. Companies put out software and wireless access devices to "get them out there" before all the ramifications and security concerns are addressed. Look at Microsoft - they're still being hacked and they should know better than to put out stuff with holes in it. They (all vendors) just want to sell the stuff to make money and be the first to offer something, and people just got to have the latest gadget. If people knew the dangers, and like you, they knew the technolgy and perils, they'd look for the companies that have done their homework.

To quote you from above "Unfotunately, some manufacturers' implementations have left, er, something to be desired. Like any technology, it must be implemented properly." Right on brother, and probably 90% of the buying public will just buy new stuff just 'cause it's out there and that's the audience the hackers are looking for - it's - in military terminology - a target-rich environment.

Thanks for the links and the lesson.

Regards,

Santiago <_<
Old 10-06-2005, 12:42 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by evil96' date='Sep 29 2005, 02:09 PM
I never realized it before, but the BMW key does look a bit like the key used in cryptographic devices...? Maybe a BMW/NSA conspiracy?
And I would personally prefer a Firewire port to a USB port - just my preference... Or maybe 802.11G wireless...?
[snapback]177026[/snapback]
802.11B/G would be great in conjunction with an mp3 jukebox in the car - transfer your albums while the car sits on the drive!

Other applications could be neat - maybe get the car to email you if it's being tampered with, or browse the web from your i-drive