E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

USB port?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2005, 03:36 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What I don't understand is why BMW doesn't include a USB port in the dash and just let owners "download" and "upload" the software patches as they are released. It's much more convenient that way since everytime I bring the car in it takes more than a day (and not to mention the travel to and from). Maybe they're afraid of viruses attacking the car's system....hehe.
Old 09-29-2005, 03:46 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 BMW 530I steptronic, Orient Blue, Dakota Black Leather, Finishers Aluminium with Wave Cutting interior, NAVIgation, Radio PROFESSIONAL, CD in-dash, Hi-Fi extended sound system, PDC system, Bi-Xenons lights with washers, cruise-control, heated seats, Extended AC, auto"shade" mirrors, auto lights sensors, rain/wiper sensor, M-tech leather multifunction steering wheel, side airbags rearseats, sliding armrest, smoker's package (I don't smoke!), velour floor mats, spare wheel and jack, 122 style rims winter setup, M135 style rims summer setup [color=red]Mods:[/color] [color=blue]M tech sport steering wheel with M5 SMG paddles working retrofit done ! Trunk lid opening button retrofit done.[/color] [color=blue]3M window 35% tint done Chrome grilles E60.net Clings [/color]

it is much more complex just then upload and download....
that is also why on every 5th car they upload the processor is burned and they have to exchange it

Also if they would make the update do it yourself job, they would have no work to do in servise and charge
Old 09-29-2005, 05:59 AM
New Members

My Ride: Rides: 1992 525i (Sold), 2000 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (Sold), Everett-Morrison Cobra - built 1998, 2005 Nissan Frontier Pick Up (daily driver)

Originally Posted by Bunbun' date='Sep 29 2005, 01:36 PM
What I don't understand is why BMW doesn't include a USB port in the dash and just let owners "download" and "upload" the software patches as they are released. It's much more convenient that way since everytime I bring the car in it takes more than a day (and not to mention the travel to and from).? Maybe they're afraid of viruses attacking the car's system....hehe.??
[snapback]176871[/snapback]
Don't laugh Bunbun - sooner, rather than later we're going to see viruses migrating to cars. I'm sure there are people just salivating at the possibilities to make your doors/trunk spring open, or your lights cut out or whatever while you're driving. There'll be a disgruntled a**hole at BMW that could just as well put some bad code on an upgrade upload so it misses all the QC. I don't even want to think about it...

What they should have is the ability for the GPS receiver (through the iDrive) to save data to forward to BMW. How many times have you driven down a new road that doesn't exist on the current map, but the GPS is tracking you going across the field and cursing you to "get back on the road, please..." If that segment were to be captured and forwarded to BMW by owners all over, the road network would be updated much more often than it is now.

L8R!
Old 09-29-2005, 07:28 AM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Originally Posted by santiago fonseca' date='Sep 29 2005, 09:59 AM
[quote name='Bunbun' date='Sep 29 2005, 01:36 PM']What I don't understand is why BMW doesn't include a USB port in the dash and just let owners "download" and "upload" the software patches as they are released. It's much more convenient that way since everytime I bring the car in it takes more than a day (and not to mention the travel to and from).? Maybe they're afraid of viruses attacking the car's system....hehe.??
Don't laugh Bunbun - sooner, rather than later we're going to see viruses migrating to cars. I'm sure there are people just salivating at the possibilities to make your doors/trunk spring open, or your lights cut out or whatever while you're driving. There'll be a disgruntled a**hole at BMW that could just as well put some bad code on an upgrade upload so it misses all the QC. I don't even want to think about it...

What they should have is the ability for the GPS receiver (through the iDrive) to save data to forward to BMW. How many times have you driven down a new road that doesn't exist on the current map, but the GPS is tracking you going across the field and cursing you to "get back on the road, please..." If that segment were to be captured and forwarded to BMW by owners all over, the road network would be updated much more often than it is now.

L8R!
[snapback]176915[/snapback]
[/quote]
That's what good encryption keys are for. We can send TS keymat over the comm paths, we could do the same for CIPs, NAV map updates and the like.
Old 09-29-2005, 08:22 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i, Silver Grey, Sport Package, R. Shades, Cold Pkg, Sat. Rad., Prem. Sound.

Originally Posted by santiago fonseca' date='Sep 29 2005, 08:59 AM
[quote name='Bunbun' date='Sep 29 2005, 01:36 PM']What I don't understand is why BMW doesn't include a USB port in the dash and just let owners "download" and "upload" the software patches as they are released. It's much more convenient that way since everytime I bring the car in it takes more than a day (and not to mention the travel to and from).? Maybe they're afraid of viruses attacking the car's system....hehe.??

L8R!
[/quote]

The Difference between a virus and a bug:

Virus: Intentional malicious programs aimed at wrecking havoc.
Bug: Unintentional programming not aimed at wrecking havoc.
Result: Both virus and bugs wreck havoc. Take your pick/frustration.
Old 09-29-2005, 10:01 AM
New Members

My Ride: Rides: 1992 525i (Sold), 2000 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (Sold), Everett-Morrison Cobra - built 1998, 2005 Nissan Frontier Pick Up (daily driver)

Originally Posted by Bimmer32' date='Sep 29 2005, 06:22 PM
[quote name='santiago fonseca' date='Sep 29 2005, 08:59 AM'][quote name='Bunbun' date='Sep 29 2005, 01:36 PM']What I don't understand is why BMW doesn't include a USB port in the dash and just let owners "download" and "upload" the software patches as they are released. It's much more convenient that way since everytime I bring the car in it takes more than a day (and not to mention the travel to and from).? Maybe they're afraid of viruses attacking the car's system....hehe.?

L8R!
[/quote]

The Difference between a virus and a bug:

Virus: Intentional malicious programs aimed at wrecking havoc.
Bug: Unintentional programming not aimed at wrecking havoc.
Result: Both virus and bugs wreck havoc. Take your pick/frustration.
[snapback]176976[/snapback]
[/quote]

That's what I'm saying - a bug is just bad programming. Poor or not widely/thoroughly tested code. A virus comes from some jerk who wants to "wreck havoc". Bad code is fixable - read about all the "...and they re-loaded the software" messages, albeit a pain in the ass. A virus could kill you depending on what it attacks in a car - especially at speed.

Regards.
Old 09-29-2005, 10:09 AM
Members

I never realized it before, but the BMW key does look a bit like the key used in cryptographic devices... Maybe a BMW/NSA conspiracy?
And I would personally prefer a Firewire port to a USB port - just my preference... Or maybe 802.11G wireless...
Old 09-29-2005, 02:52 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 520d GT, Blue, Beige Dakota Leather, Pro Sat Nav, Interior Lights Pack, Adaptive Lights, Advanced Aircon

I've heard viruses may be able to gain access via bluetooth. Bluetooth hackers are already out there.............. Friend of mine works for a bank on computer security -- went on a course about bluetooth hacking - demonstrators managed to hack into an unknowing participants phone Take care - its only a matter of time
Old 09-29-2005, 08:03 PM
Contributors

My Ride: In a place where the Mercedes density is the highest in the world (no. of MB per square kilometer) I choose a Bimmer, why? because of one thing "The Ultimate Driving Experience" My Ride: 523i Steptronic, Silver Grey Exterior, Black Interior with Black Dakota Leather and Maple Wood Trim. Chrome Grill, Style 123 rim, Airbags everywhere, PDC, Rain sensor, Auto lights, Moveable front armrest, Advance Climate Control, Glass Sunroof, Auto dimming interior and exterior mirror with foldable functions, Extended Lights package, 6 CD changer in glove box, Power seats with memory, Power adjustable steering wheel, Power rear sunblinds. Add ons: 123 wheels, chrome grill, K&N Hi flow filter, Eibach Pro Kit, e60.net decal and 24,000km Past rides: 2001 Nissan Xterra SE 1999 E39 523i 1999 E46 323i 1996 Acura Integra LS

Yeah with the rate of today's technology, virus will soon travel through airwaves and into your brain.
Old 09-30-2005, 01:44 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by GB525dTour' date='Sep 30 2005, 12:52 AM
I've heard viruses may be able to gain access via bluetooth. Bluetooth hackers are already out there.............. Friend of mine works for a bank on computer security -- went on a course about bluetooth hacking - demonstrators managed to hack into an unknowing participants phone? ? Take care - its only a matter of time
[snapback]177152[/snapback]
YEAH! You are SO right!! I'd forgotten to comment on that.. I'd read that a bluetooth-enabled phone can be accessed by anyone with the technology to send you unwanted messages, advertisements, etc. You could be walking by a window display and they'll have a bluetooth transmitter that detects your phone going by and sends you stuff about a sale or whatever. Also, it could be used maliciously, to access your address list and to plant/further send stuff to others like the attacks on MS Outlook. If your car has a bluetooth accessible phone, it's just a matter of time until someone designs a way to migrate whatever into the car's computer.

No doomsday scenario here boys and girls, just the reality of today's technology and the sick mind of the hacker. So, no bluetooth for me. Wireless is evil... :thumbsdown:

Come to think of it? You'd have to get Norton security for your car.. Wouldn't that be some shit? Maybe that punk Norton is behind all this???

Quick Reply: USB port?