E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

USB in the LCI version

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2007, 11:01 PM
TC.
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 535d m sport - 9 Weeks to go!!

Originally Posted by narvselius' post='389165' date='Feb 9 2007, 07:51 AM
To be able to use your iPod at all, you'll need the Radio Professional (which is included in the SatNav package). The USB socket is extra in Sweden too, and the additional feature is that a) you don't have to rely on the iPod battery as the USB takes care of the charging and b) as explained before that you get a fullt compatible interface. And maybe c) that you add to the BMW profit by paying (as I did ) an enormous premium for such a cheap device.
?205 is indeed a royal rip off for a USB2 interface!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-09-2007, 04:42 AM
Members

My Ride: F10 530d Deep Sea Blue, Oyster/Black, Auto, Dynamic Pack, Professional Sat Nav, Professional Hi-Fi

Hi narvselius,

I have just placed an order for a 523i SE LCI with a USB port and the dealer confirmed to me via an email from BMW Ireland that I didn't need the Professional Radio to use the USB port. How sure are you that one needs the Professional Radio to use the USB socket? I am worried that I will have a ?420 socket with no functionality - but in addition to the reassurance from the dealer I assumed that the BMW Ordering system wouldn't allow USB without Professional Radio if it needed it to work.... :'(
Old 02-09-2007, 04:58 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by darraghn' post='389226' date='Feb 9 2007, 08:42 AM
Hi narvselius,

I have just placed an order for a 523i SE LCI with a USB port and the dealer confirmed to me via an email from BMW Ireland that I didn't need the Professional Radio to use the USB port. How sure are you that one needs the Professional Radio to use the USB socket? I am worried that I will have a ?420 socket with no functionality - but in addition to the reassurance from the dealer I assumed that the BMW Ordering system wouldn't allow USB without Professional Radio if it needed it to work.... :'(
That?is correct. The system won?t let you order it if it won?t work.
Old 02-09-2007, 07:21 AM
Members

Hi everyone,

I am getting very confused.

I have just added the USB interface (?205) to my LCI order and I have been told it is a factory fit rather than a dealer fit.

Does anyone know straight answer to the following questions:

1- Do I lose my CD changer (which is included in my Media Pack) if I have the USB interface installed?
2- Does the interface mean that the Ipod will lie/hang from the back of the central console? Or will it go in the glove box?
3- Can I play all Ipod songs including the one I have purchased from Itunes (protected media)
4- Can I use the iDrive controls to operate the Ipod

The lack of information and clarity is very frustrating
Old 02-09-2007, 09:16 AM
Senior Members

See below
Originally Posted by vinver' post='389272' date='Feb 9 2007, 11:21 AM
1- Do I lose my CD changer (which is included in my Media Pack) if I have the USB interface installed? No
2- Does the interface mean that the Ipod will lie/hang from the back of the central console?Not sure. Maybe this is moved to inside the console on the LCI. Or will it go in the glove box?Definitely not.
3- Can I play all Ipod songs including the one I have purchased from Itunes (protected media) Ja.
4- Can I use the iDrive controls to operate the Ipod. No.
Old 02-09-2007, 10:10 AM
TC.
Members

My Ride: 535d m sport - 9 Weeks to go!!

The USB connection is alongside the AUX input at the back of the transmission tunnel
You CAN control the iPod through iDrive if you have the USB2 interface - that is the entire point of the interface otherwise it is nothing more than an additional AUX input
Old 02-09-2007, 10:21 AM
Senior Members

I misread his question - I thought he asked if he could control the iPod through the iPod (which is a commonly asked question).

Yes of course you can control the iPod through iDrive.

Sorry about that.
Old 02-09-2007, 10:33 AM
Members

Originally Posted by JSpira' post='389347' date='Feb 9 2007, 06:16 PM
See below
Thanks for your reply.

However the answer to question 4, surely must be 'yes'. BMW have advertised on page 38 of the attached doc that the the idrive will operate the Ipod/USB device.
Old 02-09-2007, 10:38 AM
Members

Originally Posted by JSpira' post='389367' date='Feb 9 2007, 07:21 PM
I misread his question - I thought he asked if he could control the iPod through the iPod (which is a commonly asked question).

Yes of course you can control the iPod through iDrive.

Sorry about that.

Thanks Jonathan. That's now very clear. Who at BMW can tell me if the USB interface will be located at the back of the central console?. Seems to me that is a stupid place for it.

1 - it is in the open where people can see it
2 - if you have passengers (especially chidren) in the back then the usb connection/cable will constantly be kicked.

Surely designers as acomplished as BMW's must be able to come up with something better.
Old 02-09-2007, 08:34 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 525d M Sport in Carbon Black

Ipod shmipod... to my limited knowledge the USB interface will allow the playing of standard music files from a standard usb memory stick, it will also allow the powering/recharging of various devices.

awaits comments hehe

Quick Reply: USB in the LCI version