E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

USB in the LCI version

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2007, 11:47 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

in the LCI version you will find a USB port.
What kind of devices can you add?
I saw already an IPOD and USB stick.
Can you also add an USB hard drive like the LACIE silverstream?
Old 02-05-2007, 12:29 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 320d SE (E90) manual - Sapphire Black, Beige Leather Sports Seats, Burled Walnut, Heated Seats, Sunroof, Comfort Access, Hi-Fi sound, Bluetooth, Side-Window blinds, Through-Load, Luggage Net, PDC Front & Rear, Adaptive Xenons, Style 158 17", Chrome Grill & Window Trim, Blackline Tailights, Power folding/dimming side mirrors, Split Armrest, Dual Zone Climate, Cruise, LEDs on door handles, iPod nano, SE K750i

Originally Posted by de_smet_h' post='387743' date='Feb 5 2007, 08:47 PM
in the LCI version you will find a USB port.
What kind of devices can you add?
I saw already an IPOD and USB stick.
Can you also add an USB hard drive like the LACIE silverstream?
In theory, any USB drive should work (whether solid-state flash memory or ATA disc)
After all, the iPod (normal one, not nano/shuffle) is little more than a glorified USB 2.0 hard drive when it operates in disk mode.

But, unless the car can authenticate to be one of the n devices you authorise to decode your Apple Protected AAC files, you may not be able to play any music purchased from the Apple iTunes Music store (which is DRMed in this format). If this doesn't work, then it would be a big regression from the MOST iPod connection kit and one has to wonder whether BMW should really be advertising the USB port as an iPod connector. Of course, they may surprise us all and make that work.

Old 02-05-2007, 03:02 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Raighne' post='387760' date='Feb 5 2007, 09:29 PM
In theory, any USB drive should work (whether solid-state flash memory or ATA disc)
After all, the iPod (normal one, not nano/shuffle) is little more than a glorified USB 2.0 hard drive when it operates in disk mode.

But, unless the car can authenticate to be one of the n devices you authorise to decode your Apple Protected AAC files, you may not be able to play any music purchased from the Apple iTunes Music store (which is DRMed in this format). If this doesn't work, then it would be a big regression from the MOST iPod connection kit and one has to wonder whether BMW should really be advertising the USB port as an iPod connector. Of course, they may surprise us all and make that work.

AS of March 2007 it will be possible to connect external audio sources to the music system on the LCI via the USB socket. The monitor screen will map the functions of the connected devices and display them as permanent drives.

Ipod
One of the devices that can be connected isthe iPod. Control is by digital means via USB to-serial cable using the proprietary Apple protocol. The monitor uses the iPod database and maps the functions of the iPod. Integration of iPod, iPod Nano and iPod Video is planned for March 2007. Tracks can be accessed from "Playlist", "Artist", "Album","Genre" and "Song".

USB audio players
It will also be possible to use USB audio players in the E87 LCI from March 2007.Connection is by means of a USB cable using the USB mass storage protocol.
The folder structure on the audio player is displayed on the monitor screen and a database is also constructed by analysing the ID3 tags using M2ULF. Tracks can be accessed both through the folder structureand by means of the database. Tracks on the USB audio player can be accessed from "Playlist", "Artist", "Album", "Genre" and "Song".
Old 02-06-2007, 12:17 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 320d SE (E90) manual - Sapphire Black, Beige Leather Sports Seats, Burled Walnut, Heated Seats, Sunroof, Comfort Access, Hi-Fi sound, Bluetooth, Side-Window blinds, Through-Load, Luggage Net, PDC Front & Rear, Adaptive Xenons, Style 158 17", Chrome Grill & Window Trim, Blackline Tailights, Power folding/dimming side mirrors, Split Armrest, Dual Zone Climate, Cruise, LEDs on door handles, iPod nano, SE K750i

Originally Posted by Hodgson100' post='387828' date='Feb 6 2007, 12:02 AM
Ipod
One of the devices that can be connected isthe iPod. Control is by digital means via USB to-serial cable using the proprietary Apple protocol. The monitor uses the iPod database and maps the functions of the iPod. Integration of iPod, iPod Nano and iPod Video is planned for March 2007. Tracks can be accessed from "Playlist", "Artist", "Album","Genre" and "Song".
So the most promising part here is that the car uses "the proprietary Apple protocol" to access the iPod (versus accessing it in disk mode only). Does use of the proprietry protocol imply that that Protected AAC can play through the car?
Which device decodes and renders the audio, the iPod or the E60? Can you find out?
Old 02-06-2007, 01:05 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Hodgson100' post='387828' date='Feb 6 2007, 12:02 AM
...via USB to-serial cable...
WTF is USB if it ain't Serial?

ABC
Old 02-06-2007, 12:52 PM
Members

Hi

I'm very new to this.

I have (today) ordered a new 520D SE including the luxury and media pack. Does anyone know if I can use my Ipod without purchasing more options and/or kits?

I should be able to plug it in and use the Ipod to select songs etc. However does anyone know if I can select songs through the Idrive system?

Sorry if this has been covered already but I have a long wait and I would like to know as much as possible before the car arrives.

Thanks
Vincent
Old 02-06-2007, 01:04 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by vinver' post='388129' date='Feb 6 2007, 09:52 PM
I have (today) ordered a new 520D SE including the luxury and media pack. Does anyone know if I can use my Ipod without purchasing more options and/or kits?

I should be able to plug it in and use the Ipod to select songs etc. However does anyone know if I can select songs through the Idrive system?

Sorry if this has been covered already but I have a long wait and I would like to know as much as possible before the car arrives.
Is the USB connector included in the "Media Kit" in your regions (UK?)
My understanding was that it has to be ordered as a separate option but perhaps that has changed for the LCI?
Old 02-06-2007, 01:33 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Raighne' post='388136' date='Feb 6 2007, 10:04 PM
Is the USB connector included in the "Media Kit" in your regions (UK?)
My understanding was that it has to be ordered as a separate option but perhaps that has changed for the LCI?
I don't know. The details are very dificult to obtain. I ordered the car without having seen the colour (Deep Sea Blue) and without knowing exactly what is included in the Luxury and Media Pack. One of the things that I do know is that the Professional Nav system is included as well as the CD changer, which might be a problem as it does not appear to work well with the Ipod
Old 02-08-2007, 05:59 AM
TC.
Members

My Ride: 535d m sport - 9 Weeks to go!!

USB is a ?205 option in the UK. The standard additional interface is an AUX input in the back of the transmission tunnel; you can play your iPod through the 3.5mm jack plug and the 3.5mm AUX in-put however, you will still need to control the music directly from the iPod. The USB2 port allows for full integration - i.e control of playlists and so on through iDrive.

Search the forum and you will find full specification on the LCI updates - UK dealers have all the info.
Old 02-08-2007, 10:51 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: F11 -14

To be able to use your iPod at all, you'll need the Radio Professional (which is included in the SatNav package). The USB socket is extra in Sweden too, and the additional feature is that a) you don't have to rely on the iPod battery as the USB takes care of the charging and b) as explained before that you get a fullt compatible interface. And maybe c) that you add to the BMW profit by paying (as I did ) an enormous premium for such a cheap device.

Quick Reply: USB in the LCI version