E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

USB/iPod interface playlists

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 07:25 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Can anyone with the USB/iPod interface tell me what the secret is to getting .M3U playlists to work? The car recognizes the playlists and displays them in the playlists category but when I select a playlist, it doesn't show any songs. (I forget the exact message but it's something like "no files found"...)

Anyone get this working? Any ideas?
Old 09-04-2007, 11:22 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't have the car yet, so I'm only guessing... but often the problem you describe would be because the .m3u files has absolute path names from your computer instead of relative path names.

To test this, open one of your .m3u files in a text editor (or notepad).

If you see some files with drive letters like:

Code:
F:\Alternative\Band - Song.mp3
F:\ New Song.mp3
Change them to:

Code:
Alternative\Band - Song.mp3
New Song.mp3
I hope that helps.
Old 09-05-2007, 04:39 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by vbclown' post='465974' date='Sep 5 2007, 03:22 AM
I don't have the car yet, so I'm only guessing... but often the problem you describe would be because the .m3u files has absolute path names from your computer instead of relative path names.

To test this, open one of your .m3u files in a text editor (or notepad).

If you see some files with drive letters like:

Code:
F:\Alternative\Band - Song.mp3
F:\ New Song.mp3
Change them to:

Code:
Alternative\Band - Song.mp3
New Song.mp3
I hope that helps.
Already tried that one last week -- no drive letters are present in my files. I've even tried using a ./<path> to see if that helps. I'm thinking it still has something to do with paths but the couple things I tried haven't worked (and I'm too lazy to keep trying...)

I also tried removing all the "extended" parts of the file (stuff that started with "#") but it didn't help. I'm hoping someone here who's gotten it working will be able to help -- past experience tells me that just because BMW says it supports the files, it may not be 100% true just yet.

(There are other issues I'm seeing that will likely cause a software upgrade but since I'm one of the early adopters, I'm going to wait until we get more information on them...)