E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

USB Audio Interface - Tech Bulletin and other info

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2007 | 07:40 PM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Thought I would post these for those with USB. Some useful info for some I am sure.

I'll post part of the bulletin in text for those that do searches.

SI B 65 08 07
Sound System, Cruise, Alarms, Monitors May 2007
Technical Service

SUBJECT
USB Audio Interface

MODEL
E90, E91, E92, E93 *(3 Series) from 03/2007

E60, E61 *(5 Series) from 03/2007

E63, E64 *(6 Series) from 03/2007

E70 (X5) *from 4/2007

*Only with USB Audio Interface (option 6FL)

INFORMATION
The USB Audio Interface is only available as a factory-installed option and cannot be retrofitted.

The USB audio interface allows the connection of compatible MP3 players, such as an Apple iPod Generation4 or higher, to the vehicle and operates it through the vehicle's audio controls.

In addition to MP3 players, audio files on USB sticks can also be played through the USB audio interface.

Only audio files can be played. Accessing other files such as videos is not possible.

The USB audio interface currently supports the following compressed formats:

MP3 (mp3)

AAC (aac, m4a, m4b)

WAV/PCM (wav)

WMA (wma, asf)

Playlists in M3U format

NOTE: WAV files are not supported in playlists.

It is possible to access all stored audio data directly through a playlist, as well as searching for genre, artist, album or title. However, the sorting and displaying of audio files in the vehicle can only be carried out correctly, if all the data stored on the MP3 player (e.g. ID3 tags) contain Roman characters exclusively. Playlists need to contain absolute path indications if the audio file is not located in the same directory as the playlist itself.

Storage of the device and first installation

Observe all operating and storage instructions for the device if the iPod, MP3 player or USB stick is stored in the vehicle. It is recommended to not store iPods, MP3 players or USB sticks in the vehicle for any length of time, since extreme environmental conditions (temperature, humidity) may cause damage to the device.

Upon initial connection of an iPod, MP3 player or USB stick containing large amounts of data, audio files can be only accessed through the directory structure of the device. The search by genre, artist, album or title only becomes available after the corresponding file information has been transferred to the vehicle. The performance of an iPod, MP3 player or USB stick in the vehicle such as duration of synchronization or operation speed depends on the storage capacity and technology of the device as well as the number and the format of stored audio files (e.g. the synchronization of a USB stick with 8 GB of flash storage can take up to 10 minutes; longer synchronization times could be due to device specific characteristics. During this period of time music titles can be selected through indexes and file names).

Should the interaction of an iPod, MP3 player or USB stick with the USB audio interface not function correctly, it may also be due to defective or unsupported encoding of audio files (e.g. bit rates bigger than 256kbit/s).

For questions, please contact your local customer service directly or via e-mail at: customer.service@bmw.com

Full text in attached PDF and additional info.

SIB_650807.pdf
B650807Attachment_A.pdf
B650807Attachment_B.pdf
B650807Aftersales_Bulletin_650407.pdf
Old 05-24-2007 | 08:21 PM
Members

Originally Posted by cobradav' post='428084' date='May 24 2007, 10:40 PM
Thought I would post these for those with USB. Some useful info for some I am sure.

SI B 65 08 07
Technical Service

SUBJECT
USB Audio Interface

MODEL

E70 (X5) *from 4/2007

INFORMATION
The USB Audio Interface is only available as a factory-installed option and cannot be retrofitted.

The USB audio interface allows the connection of compatible MP3 players, such as an Apple iPod Generation4 or higher, to the vehicle and operates it through the vehicle's audio controls.

In addition to MP3 players, audio files on USB sticks can also be played through the USB audio interface.

Only audio files can be played. Accessing other files such as videos is not possible.

MP3 (mp3)

AAC (aac, m4a, m4b)

WAV/PCM (wav)

WMA (wma, asf)

Playlists in M3U format

It is possible to access all stored audio data directly through a playlist, as well as searching for genre, artist, album or title. However, the sorting and displaying of audio files in the vehicle can only be carried out correctly, if all the data stored on the MP3 player (e.g. ID3 tags) contain Roman characters exclusively. Playlists need to contain absolute path indications if the audio file is not located in the same directory as the playlist itself.

Observe all operating and storage instructions for the device if the iPod, MP3 player or USB stick is stored in the vehicle. It is recommended to not store iPods, MP3 players or USB sticks in the vehicle for any length of time, since extreme environmental conditions (temperature, humidity) may cause damage to the device.

Upon initial connection of an iPod, MP3 player or USB stick containing large amounts of data, audio files can be only accessed through the directory structure of the device. The search by genre, artist, album or title only becomes available after the corresponding file information has been transferred to the vehicle. The performance of an iPod, MP3 player or USB stick in the vehicle such as duration of synchronization or operation speed depends on the storage capacity and technology of the device as well as the number and the format of stored audio files (e.g. the synchronization of a USB stick with 8 GB of flash storage can take up to 10 minutes; longer synchronization times could be due to device specific characteristics. During this period of time music titles can be selected through indexes and file names).

Should the interaction of an iPod, MP3 player or USB stick with the USB audio interface not function correctly, it may also be due to defective or unsupported encoding of audio files (e.g. bit rates bigger than 256kbit/s).

For questions, please contact your local customer service directly or via e-mail at: customer.service@bmw.com

Attachment 32850
Attachment 32851
Attachment 32852
Attachment 32853

Great info. Thanks for posting.
Old 05-24-2007 | 08:23 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 525i, Premium,Cold,Xenon Packages

cobra - Could you pls latest IDRIVE v25 SIBS too. I think latest is 25.04? Thanks.
Old 05-24-2007 | 08:38 PM
Contributors

Great need to know information!!!
Old 05-24-2007 | 11:33 PM
Members

Originally Posted by cobradav' post='428084' date='May 25 2007, 04:40 AM
INFORMATION

Oh b****cks, guess who didn't order it as a factory fitted accessory. Anyway, that's finally cleared up a lot of confusion.

On the bright side, I'm off to pick up my new 520D SE in a couple of hours so that's cheered me up.

Monaco Blue, Cream Beige Leather, Advanced Air Con (couldn't afford any more extras ( except perhaps USB/Aux input DOH!!!)

Will post pictures on this most excellent forum in a few days .............hopefully.
Old 05-25-2007 | 07:06 AM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

The latest SIB is posted in this thread here: http://forums.e60.net/index.php?s=&sho...st&p=428227

As I explain in that post, it may not be the latest PROGMAN version, just the latest SIB put out by BMW. They do not always issue updated SIBs for every release due to their opinion of what constitutes "fixes to issues". If they are simple housekeeping/software bug fixes they will not issue a new SIB.

Originally Posted by coolguy' post='428096' date='May 25 2007, 12:23 AM
cobra - Could you pls latest IDRIVE v25 SIBS too. I think latest is 25.04? Thanks.
Old 05-25-2007 | 10:48 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

cobradav,

perfect timing! I am convinced you just saved me $100. We just picked up my wife's new X5, with the iPod adaptor as an ordered option on Wednesday. Of course there was no cable in the car when we picked it up. Printed out the PDF you posted, which on page 2 clearly describes connecting an iPod with "the provided adapter cable (Y cable from 30-pin-connector to USB and AUX-In)." Went back to the dealer with printout in hand asking for my cable. After some grumbling from the manager I was told "they take them when the cars get here because people steal them"! Then they handed over the cable, no charge. What a crock! If I had not been an informed consumer because of your post and this forum in general, I am convinced they would have tried to sell me the proper cable. Thanks again!
Old 05-25-2007 | 11:44 AM
Contributors

Glad to be of help Just returning the favor Mark, Iceman, Rudy and of course, many, many more have done for me.

Originally Posted by kscarrol' post='428295' date='May 25 2007, 02:48 PM
cobradav,

perfect timing! I am convinced you just saved me $100. We just picked up my wife's new X5, with the iPod adaptor as an ordered option on Wednesday. Of course there was no cable in the car when we picked it up. Printed out the PDF you posted, which on page 2 clearly describes connecting an iPod with "the provided adapter cable (Y cable from 30-pin-connector to USB and AUX-In)." Went back to the dealer with printout in hand asking for my cable. After some grumbling from the manager I was told "they take them when the cars get here because people steal them"! Then they handed over the cable, no charge. What a crock! If I had not been an informed consumer because of your post and this forum in general, I am convinced they would have tried to sell me the proper cable. Thanks again!
Old 05-25-2007 | 03:20 PM
Members

Originally Posted by cobradav' post='428084' date='May 25 2007, 04:40 AM

SI B 65 08 07
Technical Service

SUBJECT
USB Audio Interface

MODEL

Others may find this post also useful: http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=40341
E70 (X5) *from 4/2007

INFORMATION

MP3 (mp3)

AAC (aac, m4a, m4b)

WAV/PCM (wav)

WMA (wma, asf)

Playlists in M3U format

Attachment 32850
Attachment 32851
Attachment 32852
Attachment 32853