E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

US models: iDrive Safety Message!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2005, 02:36 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Green-Crayon' date='Aug 27 2005, 10:14 AM
Our Lexus Nav has a similar 'make sue you drive safely' message when the engine is started.
[snapback]164018[/snapback]
Actually, Lexus is much worse than BMW. The NAV and phonebook disable while the car is in motion. Imagine having to pull your car off the highway and stop before you can dial a number using the integrated phonebook.

I remember my RX-300, and not being able to change the NAV destination without stopping the car, maybe some people can live with that. But having to reach for your cell phone after purchasing the integrated communications system, just because the car is in motion, is rediculous.
Old 08-27-2005, 02:38 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i with everything

Originally Posted by wnrussell' date='Aug 27 2005, 03:36 PM
[quote name='Green-Crayon' date='Aug 27 2005, 10:14 AM']Our Lexus Nav has a similar 'make sue you drive safely' message when the engine is started.
[snapback]164018[/snapback]
Actually, Lexus is much worse than BMW. The NAV and phonebook disable while the car is in motion. Imagine having to pull your car off the highway and stop before you can dial a number using the integrated phonebook.

I remember my RX-300, and not being able to change the NAV destination without stopping the car, maybe some people can live with that. But having to reach for your cell phone after purchasing the integrated communications system, just because the car is in motion is rediculous.
[snapback]164123[/snapback]
[/quote]

Range Rover is the same way-- most of the nav functions are locked out while moving. Totally makes me HATE blood sucking lawyers that have turned this country into the nanny state. Pretty soon there will be a lawyer standing there in the bathroom with me making sure I don't sing in the shower or I might get distracted and slip.
Old 08-27-2005, 02:55 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 525Xi, premium package, premium sound, steptronic, bi-xenon adaptive lights, PDC, rear sun shade, rear heating, cold weather package.

Originally Posted by Bimmer32' date='Aug 27 2005, 11:09 AM
[quote name='kscarrol' date='Aug 26 2005, 10:21 PM']Just another way to enjoy the "Land of The Lawsuit".? Sorry, until we can get people here in the U.S. to accept responsibility for there actions, the screen will be there...
[snapback]163920[/snapback]
I don't see this issue in other car maker like Lexus, or infiniti, where they have button galore. Now that's confusing.

I think BMW is overly concern with lawsuits. You can feel it by reading their user manual. Safety here, caution there even for the most common sense things. I guess we could never afford to overlook the simpliest things.

I see now why people (particularly car reviewer) prefer numerous buttons over a knob. It's in our nature to "love to press on buttons." I just observed my 8 month old daughter and see that she, too, prefer pressing buttons toys over a toys with less buttons.

If we can train children to turn and move knobs, may be in 20 years, iDrive and related systems will catch on.
[snapback]164015[/snapback]
[/quote]

Actually, my co-workers' Acura, Honda and Dodge Charger with Navigation system, all made by Alpine has similar lawyer message too.
We are not the only ones.
Old 08-27-2005, 04:10 PM
Members

What does it take? A milli-second to turn off the warning? I spend more time pulling my underware out of my a$$, before I get underway. I don't even think about setting-up the I-drive before I get going. Seriously, this is post is making a mountain out of a mole hill.
Old 08-27-2005, 04:27 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i with everything

Originally Posted by wanker' date='Aug 27 2005, 05:10 PM
What does it take?? A milli-second to turn off the warning?? I spend more time pulling my underware out of my a$$, before I get underway.? I don't even think about setting-up the I-drive before I get going.? Seriously, this is post is making a mountain out of a mole hill.
[snapback]164159[/snapback]
I don't care if it takes a millisecond (although in actuality it delays display of idrive by about 5 seconds AND pretty mcuh makes my parking distance control useless since by the time I have bypassed the lawyer screen I have already backed up and am on my way).

The point is, it has absolutely no useful purpose except to reduce exposure to nusance lawsuits. That really bothers a lot of people, including me.
Old 08-27-2005, 05:00 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by rodneyremington' date='Aug 27 2005, 05:38 PM
Range Rover is the same way-- most of the nav functions are locked out while moving. Totally makes me HATE blood sucking lawyers that have turned this country into the nanny state. Pretty soon there will be a lawyer standing there in the bathroom with me making sure I don't sing in the shower or I might get distracted and slip.
[snapback]164124[/snapback]
Wait until somebody gets rear-ended on a highway because the driver had to pull off to the shoulder to enable the dashboard. That's what you had to do to read a map, or if you did not, it was dangerous as hell.

Now there is a safe solution, and lawyers have disabled it.
Old 08-28-2005, 06:54 PM
Members

I am sure it can be software-disabled, because the acceptance screen only comes up on North-American models. In Europe (and I have frequently driven E60s over there) the main menu screen appears upon "boot-up". I doubt though, that the dealer would change it for you - probably takes a "hacker" to do it...
Old 08-29-2005, 12:01 AM
Members

My Ride: E60 - 520i Dec 2004 built Previous 320i for 5 years

Originally Posted by Bimmer32' date='Aug 26 2005, 10:13 PM
I get into my car, start the engine, and everything is smooth sailing, except I have to press the knob to get rid of the "safety message."

Is there a function that I can turn the safety message off so I can access the iDrive without having to press the knob everytime I startup the car?

I have to press the knob in order to see the PDC display too. Otherwise, it just beeps. I feel like iDrive is my mother nagging me about safety every time I start to drive.
[snapback]163919[/snapback]
Hi Guys,
We did it in Spore. Now the iDirve screen E60 is without the safety message .
Old 08-29-2005, 12:02 AM
Members

My Ride: E60 - 520i Dec 2004 built Previous 320i for 5 years

Originally Posted by Bimmer32' date='Aug 26 2005, 10:13 PM
I get into my car, start the engine, and everything is smooth sailing, except I have to press the knob to get rid of the "safety message."

Is there a function that I can turn the safety message off so I can access the iDrive without having to press the knob everytime I startup the car?

I have to press the knob in order to see the PDC display too. Otherwise, it just beeps. I feel like iDrive is my mother nagging me about safety every time I start to drive.
[snapback]163919[/snapback]
Hi Guys,
We did it in Spore. Now the iDirve screen E60 is without the safety message .
Old 08-29-2005, 01:46 PM
Members

My Ride: 2007 X5 4.8i

Originally Posted by kscarrol' date='Aug 27 2005, 10:37 AM
[quote name='paulwbenn' date='Aug 27 2005, 09:23 AM']It's very annoying, and frankly it won't shield them from lawsuits anyway.? Does anyone actuallly read the stupid message before pushing the idrive?
[snapback]164022[/snapback]
Doesn't matter if you really read it, by pressing the knob to acknowledge, you are agreeing to the warning. Don't know how well it will hold up in court, but at least they have you acknowledging that it can be dangerous to play with the iDrive while driving, and if you try to bring BMW to court, they have this as a backup...
[snapback]164031[/snapback]
[/quote]

Actually, a key question for any warnings product liability case is whether people actually read the warning. Sure, it gives them an argument at the courthouse, but its a double edged sword for BMW - if its not problematic, why are they giving warnings every time you crank the car? Bottom line, it won't shield them from lawsuits and its very annoying!

Quick Reply: US models: iDrive Safety Message!!