E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Urgent Help with Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 06:01 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am in the middle of replacing the rear brake pads and rotors and am stuck trying to remove the old rotor. Everything went fine and I took out the hex bolt from the rotor but the rotor would not come out. I gave it some hard shots with a hammer - shouldn't have done that, and it became loose and I can wiggle it on the hub but it still is not coming off the hub.

It felt as if it was being held by something inside from 1 particular point so I looked a bit carefully and I can see a spring behind one of the holes used by the wheel bolts. There is slight movement in the spring when I move the rotor, although it seems to be behind the hub so I don't know where the connection is.

Please advise.

Thanks.
Old 03-18-2010, 06:09 AM
Members

My Ride: Current rides: 2011 Z4 35i MSport DCT (pictures coming) 2010 535i MSport 2008K1200GT (Sold) 2001 541i MSport (Sold) 2007 Z4 Coupe

Did you release the emergency brake?
Old 03-18-2010, 06:30 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 09 M5 (E60) Interlagos blue, Silverstone interior, with cold weather package. Adaptive Xenon headlamps and adaptive brake lights, hud, comfort access. Comfort seats, basically fully loaded.

thats the drum brake spring that you see behind the rotor. It an emergency brake. You can take a flat head screw driver and adjust the brakes down from the back of the rotor. Make sure the emergency brake is also down. And there is nothing wrong w/ hammering the rotor. All techs do that. Not sure if you have space for 10 inch bolts on the rotor. If you do then you can put them in from the front and pull the rotor out that way also. If something slips outta the emergency brake when you take the rotor out.. you can put it back, no biggie. gud luck
Old 03-18-2010, 08:12 AM
Members

Thanks Guys. This is great - I was dead worried that I screwed something. I will try that later today.
Old 03-18-2010, 08:54 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Originally Posted by Shezmon
thats the drum brake spring that you see behind the rotor. It an emergency brake. You can take a flat head screw driver and adjust the brakes down from the back of the rotor. Make sure the emergency brake is also down. And there is nothing wrong w/ hammering the rotor. All techs do that. Not sure if you have space for 10 inch bolts on the rotor. If you do then you can put them in from the front and pull the rotor out that way also. If something slips outta the emergency brake when you take the rotor out.. you can put it back, no biggie. gud luck

+1000 All cars equipped with rear parking brakes have a drum brake system inside the rotor. These have adjustment screws which are accessed through a hole in the rotor with a flat head screwdriver (the adjuster looks like a cog or gear, just slide the blade of the screw drive in there and move up or down to adjust it). Just remember to adjust the drum brakes back to their original "tight" position. Good luck
Old 03-18-2010, 01:17 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 530i, Jet Black, Tan, Premium, Steptronic

Don't worry about whacking the rotor with a hammer. There isn't anything that you can do that the road isn't doing to the suspension and brakes when you hit a rough patch of road at 45 mph.

Let us know how it turns out for you.
Old 03-18-2010, 06:34 PM
Members

It was the emergency brake! I released the brake and it slid off smooth. I cleaned up and put back everthing and it all went smooth - took about 45 minutes. This was the right rear (the one with the sensor) and I will do the other wheel tomorrow.

Just have 2 concerns:
1. The brake light (red) in the dash and the iDrive service indicators had come on but the old brake pads and rotors didn't look like they were anywhere near gone. I will try to put some pictures of the used one tomorrow.
2. The other thing is that even after replacing, the lights are still on. How do I reset those?

Any ideas?

Thanks