E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

URGENT: BMW only replacing the tensioner and not the belt

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2014, 09:27 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default URGENT: BMW only replacing the tensioner and not the belt

I was observing some squealing noise randomly so I went to dealership, and they are changing only the tensioner under the CPO warranty.... I read that you should always replace both the belt and the tensioner together.... Any suggestions ???
Old 02-19-2014, 10:43 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

I've never heard this. Maybe if the belt is damaged. If you are concerned about it perhaps ask them to put a new belt on and then you just pay for the part. But I imagine they would not change it unless its damaged.
Old 02-19-2014, 12:36 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah, the belt is cheap. The labor is free while they have the belt off doing the tensioner. Your car. Don't ask them, tell them to put on a new belt at your expense.

And tell them you want the old belt. Put it in your trunk as a backup.
Old 02-19-2014, 01:56 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: 530i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54

It's on BMWs dime, so they're going to take the cheapest route possible.

Had your car been out of CPO warranty, I can promise you they'd recommend replacing the tensioner, belts, idlers, etc.

Have them replace the belt. pay for the part.
Old 02-19-2014, 02:28 PM
pcy
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: '06 530i, '07 C280 4matic, '98 ML320

Originally Posted by BimmerFan52
...tell them to put on a new belt at your expense.

And tell them you want the old belt. Put it in your trunk as a backup.
I keep the old belt in the trunk as an emergency backup.
Old 02-19-2014, 04:50 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: Alpine E60, '09 535i-Premium, Sport and Comfort Access PackageMods: Lux H8 V3 Angel Eyes, Weisslicht LED license plate lights, Interior LED lights, RPI Scoop, Matte Black Grills, Smoked LED side markers & side reflectors, 35% tint all around, and a 3

The belt is not covered under the cpo warranty. It would be covered if you still have the maintenance plan.
Old 02-20-2014, 06:48 AM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i sport

No need to change belt simply because idler pulley is replaced. Change belt if it shows signs of significant wear. minor cracking on ribbed side is not considered wear (IMHO).
Old 02-20-2014, 12:28 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2010 535xi, White/Black M Sport, Confort Access, PDC, Nav

Belt is cheap and in this case the labor is free. Should give you a lot of time before you need to worry about it again.
Old 02-21-2014, 08:02 AM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i sport

Labor MAY be free. I have several BMW's, so I may be confusing one for the other. But, the A/C belt may have to come off to replace the main belt. So, that adds labor. But, if you only change the tensioner, you just let the belt hang there and don't have to remove the a/c belt. This will probably vary depending on engine and/or options.
Old 02-21-2014, 09:53 AM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by DavidF
Labor MAY be free. I have several BMW's, so I may be confusing one for the other. But, the A/C belt may have to come off to replace the main belt. So, that adds labor. But, if you only change the tensioner, you just let the belt hang there and don't have to remove the a/c belt. This will probably vary depending on engine and/or options.
True, 6 cylinder models that have a separate AC belt, tend to mounted the AC belt on the main pulley to the outside of the engine, necessitating removal of at least the main pulley end of the AC belt to remove and install the serpentine belt. 8 cylinder AC belts are mounted to the inside of the main pulley.

Both tensioners likely use the same tool, and the mechanic already has the equipment in front of him and the tool in his hand. Literally 10 seconds to insert the tool, rotate the AC belt tensioner, lock it with a pin and then pull the AC belt off the main pulley. If a dealer tried to charge me extra labor for that I would go postal on them.

But you do bring up a good point - Knowing how deep the average $tealer attempts to reach into ones pocket, I would get an assurance up-front from the SA that I would only be charged for the belt.

Quick Reply: URGENT: BMW only replacing the tensioner and not the belt