E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

upper three lines of rear window heater do not work

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 02:36 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 520d LCI, old engine, manual, black dakota, platingrau II, standard (242?) rims.

First cold day since I've had the car and I noticed that the upper three lines of the rear window heater did not work. I have experienced single non-functioning lines in other cars, but it seems pretty coincidental that three lines in a row would be defective. The car is a 520d LCI, registered in May.

Could this by any chance be a feature instead of a bug?

A picture paints a thousand words:

Old 10-23-2007, 02:42 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

I'll have to wait until it gets colder to confirm anything with my car but if those lines are the same size as the ones below then you might have a break in the circuit along the edge which is taking out all three lines.

The main thing to figure out is whether or not those lines are part of the diversity antenna and not part of the defroster. If they were part of the antenna, I think they'd be of varying lenghts, etc.

I'm sure someone else that has something to defrost can confirm if those lines are supposed to work or not...
Old 10-23-2007, 08:44 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Ooooo let me confirm...

Oh wait... i cant... I live in So Cal... its always sunny... never used the defrost ever.... LOL
Old 10-24-2007, 04:03 AM
Contributors

My Ride: All on order and should be here by 28th September 2007

I seem to remember reading somewhere that the first couple of lines are for the radio aerial.

EDIT: Just checked the manual.
Quote Depending on the equipment specification, the top wires serve as the aerial and are not part of the rear window heating
Old 10-24-2007, 05:03 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550i, Carbon Black Metallic with Black Dakota Leather, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, NAV, Cold-Weather Package, Folding Rear Seats, Rear Side Impact Airbags, Sirius, iPod/USB Adapter,
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' post='485368' date='Oct 24 2007, 12:44 AM
Ooooo let me confirm...

Oh wait... i cant... I live in So Cal... its always sunny... never used the defrost ever.... LOL

However, it does get a little smokey there doesn't it?
Old 10-24-2007, 05:12 AM
Contributors

My Ride: On Order as of May 6- 2007 530i Titanium Grey and Grey Leather, with Sport Package, Premium Pkg, Cold Pkg. 2006 Porsche Boxster

It looks as though you have tinted windows. If they are not part of the antenna I would suspect the installer of the tint broke the circuits of those lines.

Old 10-24-2007, 05:15 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

If those lines are from your defroster then you get some special copper paint that allows you to fill in the gaps. Else you have to replace your screen. Of course once I met an Autoglass guy who said that I should 'break' my own glass and make a claim for it because it would be covered without affecting my non claims bonus. I Of course took the copper plate option because I hate messing with the factory seal of the glass.
Old 10-24-2007, 05:40 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='485216' date='Oct 23 2007, 05:42 PM
I'll have to wait until it gets colder to confirm anything with my car but if those lines are the same size as the ones below then you might have a break in the circuit along the edge which is taking out all three lines.

The main thing to figure out is whether or not those lines are part of the diversity antenna and not part of the defroster. If they were part of the antenna, I think they'd be of varying lenghts, etc.

I'm sure someone else that has something to defrost can confirm if those lines are supposed to work or not...

It would be strange that BMW would not defrost the area of glass that covers the brake light.
Old 10-24-2007, 05:53 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by Veight' post='485458' date='Oct 24 2007, 09:40 AM
It would be strange that BMW would not defrost the area of glass that covers the brake light.
Good point!

I think one thing the OP can do is trace the lines on the inside of the glass. If they don't connect from end to end like the ones that are below, then they're likely antenna wires. I think the antenna wires might only connect to one side or connect to a different circuit. Again, if I remember, I'll take a look at my car and see if there's anything more that we can figure out...
Old 10-24-2007, 08:06 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='485465' date='Oct 24 2007, 08:53 AM
Good point!

I think one thing the OP can do is trace the lines on the inside of the glass. If they don't connect from end to end like the ones that are below, then they're likely antenna wires. I think the antenna wires might only connect to one side or connect to a different circuit. Again, if I remember, I'll take a look at my car and see if there's anything more that we can figure out...

Well im waitng for a frosty day in Chicago to check my rear defroster, but due to global warming and the sun moving closer to the earth, its shirtsleeve temps here in late Oct. Not that im hoping for a cold day but it may be a while before i have to use my defrosters.
We had the marathon here in Chicago recently and it was so hot that they ran out of water (seriously) and a runner died. Now we live right on one of the largest fresh water lakes in the world but we ran out of water.

Quick Reply: upper three lines of rear window heater do not work