E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Upgrading sound system

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2013, 11:10 AM
Contributors

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: BMW
Model Year: 2006

MS-8 has a stronger amp than the stock 10 speaker system. However, it's main function is a sound processor. By adding a center speaker, you can have 5.1 or 7.1 logic 7 in your car. I also have DVD in motion so the kids love having surround sound in my car. It really made a significant difference in sound even with the stock paper OEM speakers.
Old 06-13-2013, 03:12 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E60
Model Year: 2010

I have 1000 watt mono block powering 1 kicker L7 (10"), other than that my speakers are all stock. It doesn't sound bad at all. Alot of people compliment me on the sound.
Old 06-14-2013, 05:51 AM
New Members

What are best speakers to put under my seat.. I would love to have everything hidden
If I dont already have speakers under there. .is it easy to retro fit? ive heard peopel using earthquake speakers. but i know they used to such back in the day

are these any different? or are there better choices?
Old 06-15-2013, 03:09 PM
H F
New Members

My Ride: 2005 545

Originally Posted by image969
What are best speakers to put under my seat.. I would love to have everything hidden
If I dont already have speakers under there. .is it easy to retro fit? ive heard peopel using earthquake speakers. but i know they used to such back in the day

are these any different? or are there better choices?
BMW Audio, BMW iPod, Speakers, Subwoofers, & more | BSW: Bavarian Soundwerks check out these speakers they are designed for bmw's all plug and play. I thinking about buying these, but im pretty happy with my set up so not a priority for me.
Old 06-15-2013, 03:19 PM
H F
New Members

Originally Posted by balbs
MS-8 has a stronger amp than the stock 10 speaker system. However, it's main function is a sound processor. By adding a center speaker, you can have 5.1 or 7.1 logic 7 in your car. I also have DVD in motion so the kids love having surround sound in my car. It really made a significant difference in sound even with the stock paper OEM speakers.
Thanks for the explanation bro. I added a sub to my stock speakers and was really happy with how good stock speakers sounded with allittle xtra power. Now is the ms8 sound processor a digital signal being amplified ? Im not sure if the way I have my amps set up, is actually pushing a digital signal.
Old 07-18-2013, 09:25 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2008 E60 550i Sport - 6MT - Space Gray / Gray OEM M shift knob, M door access panels, M5 deck lid spoiler, M5 steering wheel & cover. WeissLicht LED license plate lights, WeissLicht LED smoked additional turn indicators, Xenesis tru-match halos, Xenesis yellow fogs, Solaris Invisibulb front turn signals. Black alcantara w/ M color stitching shift & e-brake boots & Di-noc for interior trim.

I'm in the middle of a sound upgrade myself. I work at a dealership and so far everything that I have started is going somewhat smoothly. I have the base HIFI system with 10 speakers. I'm starting by replacing the base speakers with the Logic7 speakers (direct fit, pnp, etc...). Through my research and limited knowledge, I have found out that the HIFI and TOP-HIFI systems work completely different. The TOP-HIFI powers all the speakers with the amp in the trunk and uses the MOST-BUS as signal to the CCC. The HIFI system powers all the speakers with the CCC and the baby amp in the back only powers the subs under the seats. All the speaker wires go from the baby amp, to the CCC, then to the speakers. The speakers are 40W each (mid & tweet) @ 4ohms.

My delima is as follows...

I want to run an aftermarket amp to my new Logic7 speakers. This is where I have gotten hung up. If i pull my speaker leads from the sub-amp, then the power would run through the CCC which would probably be detremental. I need to figure out a way to bypass the CCC (with regards to the speaker wires) and amp the mids & highs without running wires everywhere. The way the speaker leads are run is different from what I'm used to in a traditional speaker system. The wires go to the mid, and the tweeter jumps off that power source and completes the circuit (running in a series I assume).

Has anyone powered their mids & highs with an aftermarket amplifier? If so, please shower some knowledge on me to ease my quest for better sounding speakers! Thanks!
Old 07-18-2013, 09:50 AM
H F
New Members

Originally Posted by Jander17
I'm in the middle of a sound upgrade myself. I work at a dealership and so far everything that I have started is going somewhat smoothly. I have the base HIFI system with 10 speakers. I'm starting by replacing the base speakers with the Logic7 speakers (direct fit, pnp, etc...). Through my research and limited knowledge, I have found out that the HIFI and TOP-HIFI systems work completely different. The TOP-HIFI powers all the speakers with the amp in the trunk and uses the MOST-BUS as signal to the CCC. The HIFI system powers all the speakers with the CCC and the baby amp in the back only powers the subs under the seats. All the speaker wires go from the baby amp, to the CCC, then to the speakers. The speakers are 40W each (mid & tweet) @ 4ohms.

My delima is as follows...

I want to run an aftermarket amp to my new Logic7 speakers. This is where I have gotten hung up. If i pull my speaker leads from the sub-amp, then the power would run through the CCC which would probably be detremental. I need to figure out a way to bypass the CCC (with regards to the speaker wires) and amp the mids & highs without running wires everywhere. The way the speaker leads are run is different from what I'm used to in a traditional speaker system. The wires go to the mid, and the tweeter jumps off that power source and completes the circuit (running in a series I assume).

Has anyone powered their mids & highs with an aftermarket amplifier? If so, please shower some knowledge on me to ease my quest for better sounding speakers! Thanks!
I have a EFX 4 channel 300 watt amp running my factory logic 7 speakers and a 500 1 channel running my 10 inch woofer/box. I have every thing hooked up in the trunk . All the connections are made at the factory amp harness. Contact member technic he sells a plug n play adaptor with rca plugs for after market amps, I found this out 2 years after tapping into my factory wires.( Wish I woulda knowen ) But I haven't had any issues.
Old 07-18-2013, 10:24 AM
Contributors

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: BMW
Model Year: 2006

+1 on the Technic harness. He's one of the E60 audio gurus on the forum. Also PM member nelson29. He has done 2 major competition class audio upgrades on his E60. Both can give you great advice.
Old 07-18-2013, 02:28 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2008 E60 550i Sport - 6MT - Space Gray / Gray OEM M shift knob, M door access panels, M5 deck lid spoiler, M5 steering wheel & cover. WeissLicht LED license plate lights, WeissLicht LED smoked additional turn indicators, Xenesis tru-match halos, Xenesis yellow fogs, Solaris Invisibulb front turn signals. Black alcantara w/ M color stitching shift & e-brake boots & Di-noc for interior trim.

I have a EFX 4 channel 300 watt amp running my factory logic 7 speakers and a 500 1 channel running my 10 inch woofer/box. I have every thing hooked up in the trunk . All the connections are made at the factory amp harness. Contact member technic he sells a plug n play adaptor with rca plugs for after market amps, I found this out 2 years after tapping into my factory wires.( Wish I woulda knowen ) But I haven't had any issues.
Do you have the TOP-HIFI or base HIFI? I'm looking at the Alpine MRP-F300 which is 75 RMS @ 2ohms/channel. I know both the mids and tweets are 40W EACH @ 4ohms and (correct me if I'm wrong) wired in series not paralell making them require around 80W/channel. Would this mean they would be 2ohms per channel at the amp? If not, the mid/tweet combo per channel would only be 50 RMS @ 4ohms. BMW complicated even simple speaker wiring... which may be why the TOP-HIFI amps in the E65/66 suck.

Sorry lots of questions... I just really want to figure it out completely before going much further

Last edited by Jander17; 07-18-2013 at 02:32 PM.
Old 07-18-2013, 04:37 PM
H F
New Members

Originally Posted by Jander17
Do you have the TOP-HIFI or base HIFI? I'm looking at the Alpine MRP-F300 which is 75 RMS @ 2ohms/channel. I know both the mids and tweets are 40W EACH @ 4ohms and (correct me if I'm wrong) wired in series not paralell making them require around 80W/channel. Would this mean they would be 2ohms per channel at the amp? If not, the mid/tweet combo per channel would only be 50 RMS @ 4ohms. BMW complicated even simple speaker wiring... which may be why the TOP-HIFI amps in the E65/66 suck.

Sorry lots of questions... I just really want to figure it out completely before going much further
Its been a while since I put the system in my car.. If I remember correctly it is 2 ohms per channel. Good idea to make sure of everything u hook up. I had a really good stereo guy help me with my system, which made my install less stressfull

Quick Reply: Upgrading sound system