E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Upgrading sound system

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 12:59 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upgrading sound system

Hello. I plan on getting amp with a couple subs soon, but that is not my reason for this post.

The speakers that I current have in 2010 528xi sound great...But if I were to get some bass in the trunk I'd like to get a bit more volume to the speakers in the car.

Can these speakers take more power? is there a factory amp that I can replace? or must I replace all the speakers as well?
Old 06-12-2013, 03:51 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

Which OEM system do you have?

You need to decide on your budget first, then you can start deciding what you can change with the money allocated for the project. How much do you want to spend?
Old 06-12-2013, 04:24 AM
New Members

not a fortune but im not worried about the price too much.. I just wondered if I could get more volume without replacing my speakers.

I dont have the premium sound package as far as i know. pretty sure theres no subin the car.
dunno to be honest. .i bought it used.. never asked the guy.

l
Old 06-12-2013, 04:57 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

It is most likely possible to upgrade the amplifier and keep the original speakers, although I would doubt this is advisable. Car companies are notorious for using VERY poor quality components in their stereos. It's an area where they really skimp on quality to save money.

If you put a nice amplifier on the OEM speakers it would be like putting 15 inch wheels on a Ferrari.

Another issue with upgrading BMW speakers is the factory openings are very small, so you will need to cut the door panels to get a decent sized midbass driver to fit. I had to cut my doors to fit my 6.5 inch woofers in the front doors. See below:

Old 06-12-2013, 10:14 AM
H F
New Members

My Ride: 2005 545

Originally Posted by image969
Hello. I plan on getting amp with a couple subs soon, but that is not my reason for this post.

The speakers that I current have in 2010 528xi sound great...But if I were to get some bass in the trunk I'd like to get a bit more volume to the speakers in the car.

Can these speakers take more power? is there a factory amp that I can replace? or must I replace all the speakers as well?
Yes,, u can add a amp to the stock speaker system and still keep the factory amp.
the factory speakers actually sound good once u add alittle xtra power to them. I installed a 300 4 channel amp to my stock speakers and it was nite and day, plus an additional EQ which made the sound more clear and crisp. the stock logic 7 sounds kinda muddy and lacks clairity..I have logic 7 which has more speakers than the regular system.The added EQ and amp sounds really really good, so I decided not to up grade the stock speakers. I also have a custom woofer/box and a separate 500 1 channel amp for that. think I spent about 1,100.00 for everything including the 1 inch mdf for the box.. I think a bsw speaker upgrade is about 8 or 9 hundred bucks. So I got more bang for my bucks going for two amps a EQ, woofer and box

Last edited by H F; 06-12-2013 at 10:30 AM.
Old 06-12-2013, 01:59 PM
Contributors

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: BMW
Model Year: 2006

If you have the 10 speaker system (non-logic 7) like I do, i went with this route.

https://5series.net/forums/e60-parts...nstall-124141/

Adding the Technic harness and JBL MS-8 woke up the OEM speakers and underseat woofers. It was pretty much night and day. After that, you can always then update the speakers, add additional amps, and bigger woofers...The MS-8 to me was a great first step in upgrading in stages.
Old 06-12-2013, 06:24 PM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 530i N52
Model Year: 2006
Engine: n52

i try to write to TECHNICS ...so i can buy all i need to do the same conversion like in his post..but no answer..
do u know his phone /email?
thx u
Old 06-13-2013, 09:42 AM
New Members

Is there anything special that needs to be done to swap the amp for the existing speakers? is the factory amp intergrated or anythihg. will new amp throw codes?

or do i just unplug and then plug in the new one and done?
Old 06-13-2013, 10:25 AM
H F
New Members

Originally Posted by image969
Is there anything special that needs to be done to swap the amp for the existing speakers? is the factory amp intergrated or anythihg. will new amp throw codes?

or do i just unplug and then plug in the new one and done?
Member technic sells a harness that connects to the factory amp. so u can install an aftermarket amp with out having to cut or tap into factory wires and will just plug into the new amp.. I found out too late about technics harness wish I woulda knowen about it. U don't have to swap or replace the factory amp u need that amp to push all the bells and chimes ect.. Ive had my system in for about two years now with two aftermarket amps and no codes or any kind of issues..
Old 06-13-2013, 10:29 AM
H F
New Members

Originally Posted by balbs
If you have the 10 speaker system (non-logic 7) like I do, i went with this route.

https://5series.net/forums/e60-parts...nstall-124141/

Adding the Technic harness and JBL MS-8 woke up the OEM speakers and underseat woofers. It was pretty much night and day. After that, you can always then update the speakers, add additional amps, and bigger woofers...The MS-8 to me was a great first step in upgrading in stages.
Balbs. got a question.. What are the benefits of the ms8.. im just curious cause I don't know what it really does.. Is it for digital out put ?? is it like a mobridge system ?

Last edited by H F; 06-13-2013 at 10:32 AM.

Quick Reply: Upgrading sound system