E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Upgrading E60 Navigation from Business to Professional

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 11:55 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Apologies for yet another thread on this subject - I have already got most of the information I need using the search facility on this site but have a few extra questions specific to my situation...

I have a 2004 530D SE with factory fitted Business Navigation. As far as I can ascertain, no software updates have been applied leaving it on a very old Progman version.

I have been offered a Professional Navigation system by someone who is breaking a late 2007 E60 M Sport. The CCC is the updated version with the 8 buttons.

My questions are:

1) Are there any reasons why a more recent unit (LCI) won't work on my older (pre-LCI) car?

2) How much of my existing Business Nav cabling can be reused? What cables should I ask to be stripped out of the M Sport?

3) It seems that the new iDrive controller I am getting only has a menu button and not a split menu/voice button. Is this a problem as I think I have got voice control installed? (although I'd also appreciate some guidance on how to be sure on this as I've never even tried to use it)

4) Regarding the coding, do you think I should get the Program version updated before installing the new components and then get the Pro Nav coding done?

Thanks in advance for your help

Stuart
Old 07-17-2009, 12:45 AM
Members

Hi Stuart,

My experience from upgrading from non-nav and from what I have read is as follows:

1) Idrive controller for the LCI has no feedback unlike the pre lCI. Another guy bought the LCI NAV and managed to get it to work with the original clicking Idrive (Low Version)

2) And with the above, it meant that it can work. not much difference except you have to make sure whether you have Logic 7 or the Msport has the L7 so that its the same. Other stuffs like HUD and other options you have to check is not missing from the new CCC. Additional ones are ok, missing ones are too bad. I lost the oil level indicator screen.

3) I am using the original button without the spilt button. It doesn't matter. the button is on the steering anyway. Just to make it look nice, I will look for 1 and change it out.

4) What I read from the gathering as well was that to update the software first is better. My new NAV CCC is very slow compared to the original one I have. But the PDC looks much nicer though =)

Hope you get some insight from my experience.
Old 07-17-2009, 12:47 AM
Members

Oh and by the way, the LVDI cable from CCC to screen may not fit if you are using your original one that's already in your car. Use a penknife to shave off the plastic guide and it plugs in nicely.

No need to buy it if its not free.
Old 07-17-2009, 02:21 AM
Members

Thanks so much for the response

A few follow up questions....

1) If I can use my original pre-LCI iDrive controller then that would be fine by me - presumably the installation would be much simpler then as I wouldn't need to disturb the centre console? Do you know if I would loose any functionality?

2) What is Logic 7? (sorry to be a thickie!) What is the best way of establishing whether I have it and the other options I have?

3) If I do decide to do the Progman update before the installation (which I think I will), what coding will I need to ask for afterwards and how long is it likely to take?

Thanks again,

Stuart
Old 07-17-2009, 02:43 AM
Members

Ignore 2) - I've now done my own dirty work!!

Thanks again

Stuart
Old 07-17-2009, 02:53 AM
Members

Hi Stuart,

I am not too sure about the loss of any functionality but my High version can point in 8 directions ( means diagonally NE NW and such) but the normal Low version can only do N E S W. So in map scrolling, you probably can only do 4 directions which in my opinion is not a very big problem.....

Progman wise I am not too sure. But it seems like if you want MP3 or such, get it coded first. My CCC has no MP3 functionality and probably can't do it now as the progman will not recognise the CCC in my car or so...

Good luck to your endeavor. The new PDC will impress you =)
Old 07-17-2009, 03:01 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530 d M-sport e60

progman is no longer used, its ISTA/P and the whole car has to be updated when any programming is need and it can take up to 6-7 hours.
Old 07-17-2009, 04:45 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i - Bone stock... help!

Find a shop with autologic and half a sense on how to use it, will make the programming step SO MUCH easier than doing the OEM route.
Old 07-17-2009, 06:05 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by dirksqjaw' post='944863' date='Jul 17 2009, 01:45 PM
Find a shop with autologic and half a sense on how to use it, will make the programming step SO MUCH easier than doing the OEM route.
Agreed,as I found someone with Autologic and he has'nt failed me yet as I went from no nav to full Pro and got my powerfold mirror's coded/working with the keyfob with no trouble at all.
Old 07-17-2009, 06:25 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Here's a stupid question for our UK brethren:

What is the difference between Business and Professional version? As far as I know we only have one version here in the states (unless someone can tell me otherwise).

Just curious as to what feature sets are different (I know you have speed cameras over there, something we thankfully have not done yet).
Please let me know.

Quick Reply: Upgrading E60 Navigation from Business to Professional