E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Up grading Sat Nav

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2007, 08:34 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '04 525d Tourer, Mystic Blue, beige Dakota leather, 18" alloys, xenons, etc

My first BMW, always swore I would not buy one (over priced and under specc'd) but we needed to downsize from our Discovery 3 and someone offered a '04 525d tourer and do you know what....it's a really nice car.

The Sat Nav it has is the business version (arrow pointer only) is it possible to upgrade to the map display? I am guessing it is likely to be software rather than hardware and will probably require a newer disk, am i right?

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-30-2007, 02:31 AM
Members

Originally Posted by jeepstertim' post='500643' date='Nov 29 2007, 05:34 PM
My first BMW, always swore I would not buy one (over priced and under specc'd) but we needed to downsize from our Discovery 3 and someone offered a '04 525d tourer and do you know what....it's a really nice car.

The Sat Nav it has is the business version (arrow pointer only) is it possible to upgrade to the map display? I am guessing it is likely to be software rather than hardware and will probably require a newer disk, am i right?

Thanks in advance.
Yes, it is possible but very, very expensive. Professional SatNav has a wider screen so that needs to be changed which is a major job. The BMW accessories catalogue quotes ?2,995 for the upgrade from Business to Professional and I'm guessing that doesn't include labour!
I must say, I'm used to using a TomTom and I find the Business Nav very good. I don't really miss the maps at all. Less to be distracted by. Only thing I'd like is to be able to tell it that I want a diversion due to traffic but I don't think you can do that on either. I know it has TMC but sometimes it doesn't pick up all traffic jams so will send you straight into stationery traffic!
Old 11-30-2007, 03:53 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 520d Black & SL350

Originally Posted by smarty156' post='500989' date='Nov 30 2007, 11:31 AM
Yes, it is possible but very, very expensive. Professional SatNav has a wider screen so that needs to be changed which is a major job. The BMW accessories catalogue quotes ?2,995 for the upgrade from Business to Professional and I'm guessing that doesn't include labour!
I must say, I'm used to using a TomTom and I find the Business Nav very good. I don't really miss the maps at all. Less to be distracted by. Only thing I'd like is to be able to tell it that I want a diversion due to traffic but I don't think you can do that on either. I know it has TMC but sometimes it doesn't pick up all traffic jams so will send you straight into stationery traffic!
The pro system highlights the jam, prewarns you and offers to reroute.
Old 11-30-2007, 06:55 AM
Members

My Ride: '04 525d Tourer, Mystic Blue, beige Dakota leather, 18" alloys, xenons, etc

Smarty

Thank you very clear. If I wish to update from my current 04 disk, i guess I just need a more up to date Business disk to slot in?

Looks like I might be spending my dosh with an e-maps remap rather than try to get a moving map display. I have yet to find a dealer fitted Sat Nav to compete with my Tom Tom anyway!
Old 11-30-2007, 11:29 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Lancaster' post='501008' date='Nov 30 2007, 12:53 PM
The pro system highlights the jam, prewarns you and offers to reroute.
So does the business nav but it relies on TMC telling it there is a jam.
With my TomTom you could just select that there is a traffic jam manually and it would find an alternative route.
Old 11-30-2007, 11:33 AM
Members

Originally Posted by jeepstertim' post='501077' date='Nov 30 2007, 03:55 PM
Smarty

Thank you very clear. If I wish to update from my current 04 disk, i guess I just need a more up to date Business disk to slot in?

Looks like I might be spending my dosh with an e-maps remap rather than try to get a moving map display. I have yet to find a dealer fitted Sat Nav to compete with my Tom Tom anyway!
Yes, but the discs are also quite expensive. I think ?230 from a dealer.
I agree the TomTom is very good but I've taken a couple of drives with both the BMW Business nav on and the TomTom and they both took me the same route and were both just as easy to follow. Sure the Business nav doesn't look as flash but it does turn the radio down if it's too loud to hear the instructions, which the TomTom can't.
Mind you, the TomTom does have the ability to upload "Safety camera" locations (plus a whole load of other things) which you haven't got with the built in system. As a basic nav system they're both good.