E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Unususal wear on ruflat rear tires

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2005, 12:20 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A friend said he saw a thing on TV on some BMW construction flaw on the rear suspension/wheel assemblage on the 5series making the wear on the inside (!) of the wheel very high (also connected to some problem with the ABS/DTC system with runflats under load).
This amazed me as that was the exact same problem I had with my runflats lately.
On my last service two weeks ago BMW warned me that the rear tyres were almost dangerous as (on the inside) the pattern was all gone and the inside wire threads of the tire were coming through in several places. (wheels less than a year old but had run approx. 30.000 kms)

At my BMW dealer they said they never heard of this but thought the wear was very unusual.
I have searched the forum but not found much.

Questions:
Has anybody else experienced this?

if so

Is it only affecting runflats?

Is BMW acknowledging this as a construction flaw?

if so

Is BMW compensating in any way (the front wheels was perfectly OK and since runflats quoted from BMW was 600 USD a piece minimum (only tires) it?s kind of a premature economic setback)?

best
objetti
Old 11-08-2005, 12:26 AM
Members

My Ride: 535 D - to be delivered end Feb 2005 - color E08 - comfort seats - executive leather balck - 122 wheels - dynamic drive - active steering - pack luxe - tecnology pack - moon roof - 6CD player - hifi system - spare wheel - BT phone

I have a 535 D with very bad NCT5 from Goodyear. At 22000 km they are perefct but for a more performant and softer tyre as ie a Dunlop, 30000 looks to be a good milage on the rear.

What is abnormal and must be checked is that the wear is not uniform (for what I understood) and also located on the inside on the rear tyres. It can be caused by a geometry problem. Or maybe a combinaison of underinflation and heavy load.
Old 11-08-2005, 12:43 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2001 BMW 316ti, 2004 BMW 530d, 2006 BMW 530xd, 2013 BMW 320d touring, 2014 BMW 520d touring, 2016 BMW X5, 2020 BMW 320da touring, 2020 BMW 540i
Model Year: 1974
Engine: Flat six

I have NON RUN FLAT tyres at the moment.
The same brand and model from Bridgestone. I can say that this set is in better conditions that the run flat. Aroun 30.000 kms at the moment and they will maybe 50.000 kms. The ride is softer, is better.
Old 11-08-2005, 03:13 AM
das
Site Founders

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2021 F93 M8 Competition

Yes, BMW has acknowledged this:

http://www.bmwtis.com/tsb/bulletins/bullet...mp/B360205g.htm

At least in the US, BMW is replacing all four tires, free of charge, if they have less than 20000 miles and exhibit symptoms of premature wear OR excessive noise. This applies to only the Dunlop runflats.

But it is a problem with more than just Dunlop runflats or runflats in general. The vehicle's apparent negative camber makes premature wear on the inside of the tire a problem for any tire. However, it's possible that certain wheel and tire combinations, and types of tire (such as the construction of runflats, with the more rigid sidewall, thus being slightly more affected by the negative camber), will likely expose this issue more than other setups.

However, BMW's acknowledgment certainly indicates there is a known issue. It seems that BMW has stuck with Dunlop runflats, but is now exploring other brands of runflat (such as Bridgestone Potenza) as original equipment. In any case, it seems BMW is committed to the concept of runflat tires for safety and marketing, and will continue to pursue this technology.
Old 11-08-2005, 03:52 AM
Members

My Ride: 535 D - to be delivered end Feb 2005 - color E08 - comfort seats - executive leather balck - 122 wheels - dynamic drive - active steering - pack luxe - tecnology pack - moon roof - 6CD player - hifi system - spare wheel - BT phone

Originally Posted by das' post='195065' date='Nov 8 2005, 01:13 PM

At least in the US, BMW is replacing all four tires, free of charge, if they have less than 20000 miles and exhibit symptoms of premature wear OR excessive noise. This applies to only the Dunlop runflats.

But it is a problem with more than just Dunlop runflats or runflats in general. The vehicle's apparent negative camber makes premature wear on the inside of the tire a problem for any tire. However, it's possible that certain wheel and tire combinations, and types of tire (such as the construction of runflats, with the more rigid sidewall, thus being slightly more affected by the negative camber), will likely expose this issue more than other setups.

However, BMW's acknowledgment certainly indicates there is a known issue. It seems that BMW has stuck with Dunlop runflats, but is now exploring other brands of runflat (such as Bridgestone Potenza) as original equipment. In any case, it seems BMW is committed to the concept of runflat tires for safety and marketing, and will continue to pursue this technology.
We are unfortunately in Europe where the consumers are far less protencted. I am not sure they will accept.
Old 11-08-2005, 05:34 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '06 530i, Titanium Silver, Gray Leather, Sports PKG, Premium PKG, Sound PKG, Cold PKG, STEP Tranny, Power sun shades, fold rear seats, rear seat heating, PDC, Nav

Originally Posted by das' post='195065' date='Nov 8 2005, 05:13 AM

Yep, just to confirm, mine came with Bridgestones. <_< So far so good, but then again I have about 400 more miles to go for break-in
Old 11-08-2005, 06:37 AM
Members

At my fist oil change (<15K miles) my SA noticed and mentioned the excessive tire wear on my rear Dunlop RFs. I hadn't heard of this problem at that point, although since then I've realized it is common. My SA said he wanted to car to replace all four tires which he did. He took all initiative and took care of me completely. Wow, that was a great experience! But perhaps at my next 15K miles I'll have to pay for the replacements....