E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Unused options...What are yours?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 12:22 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With the extensive options list I wonder what some of the things that seemed like a good idea to specify turned out to be little used.

I hope (for obvious reasons) that the one at the top of the list on my awaited 525d, is the rear side airbags.

What have you found of little use?

Regards,
Old 09-17-2007, 01:30 AM
Senior Members

MY Bluetooth option, complete waste of money, m Nokia does not work , and nor do the newer models.

This was a pointless extra for me now.
Old 09-17-2007, 01:44 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by E60BEEMER' post='470180' date='Sep 17 2007, 04:30 AM
MY Bluetooth option, complete waste of money, m Nokia does not work , and nor do the newer models.

This was a pointless extra for me now.
I think if you change the phone to one that works (especially the WM5 or WM6 phones), you will change your mind about Bluetooth.

I find it very useful to check the caller's number on the display, answering with a touch of a button and having a clear conversation without having to pick up my phone or muting my audio system.

As for making a call, nothing beats having all my contacts on the bigscreen infront of me, so I can dial a friend's number with a single push of the idrive knob, or pressing a button on my steering wheel.

As you know, you can get points on your license if you are caught holding a mobile phone to your ear, not to mention a fine too. but more impotantly, it is safer.
Old 09-17-2007, 01:55 AM
Contributors

In our X5, definitely the "DAB Radio". Absolutely useless. No audible difference to FM (even with Logic 7 stereo), a right pain to access channels, and poor reception which causes frequent gaps/cutting out. Because unlike FM where you will get just a tiny amount of nosie if the reception gets bad (normally inaudible), Digital just cuts out! It's fine if you are sitting still, but on a motorway journey the frequent dropouts mean we just never use DAB now. When I specced my new 5 series, I was initially going to add DAB, but am glad I didn't. The main disappointment was that I was expecting a huge difference in clarity - like going from tape to CD. But it's just no different at all.

Regarding bluetooth .. it is _EXCELLENT_. Buy a Nokia 6233 (as recommended by our BMW dealer for excellent functionality) and you will love it. This comes down to your phone rather than the option itself...!
Old 09-17-2007, 03:40 AM
Saf
Members

I ordered loads of extras, the one I use the least is the night vision.

DAB radio is great for stuff you don't get on FM such as BBC 5 Live Sports Xtra - fantastic for all the extra cricket / football commentaries etc.

Bluetooth is excellant as well. I love making loads of calls on the way home from work - use up all my free minutes!! I have a SE K800.
Old 09-17-2007, 03:46 AM
Senior Members

Of all the options I put into the car, the only one that I regret getting is the Night Vision. It's only helpful on dark country roads and you have to take your eyes off the road to check the I-Drive screen to see if it picks up anything. Not a good combination - dark roads and taking your eyes off the road. It is a pretty cool feature, but one that I would get again. If there were some way to integrate it into the HUD, that would be another story.
Old 09-17-2007, 05:40 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Saf' post='470194' date='Sep 17 2007, 05:40 AM
DAB radio is great for stuff you don't get on FM such as BBC 5 Live Sports Xtra - fantastic for all the extra cricket / football commentaries etc.
Yes agreed - I should add, that if that is your intention, it's definintely worth the money. I bought it to listen to all of the mainstream stations that we normally listen to (Radio 1, etc) in better clarity. As it turns out, it is no better in terms of audio quality (in the X5 at least!) than the twin tuner FM system, which is outstanding.
Old 09-17-2007, 06:04 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by 525d MSport' post='470170' date='Sep 17 2007, 04:22 AM
With the extensive options list I wonder what some of the things that seemed like a good idea to specify turned out to be little used.

I hope (for obvious reasons) that the one at the top of the list on my awaited 525d, is the rear side airbags.

What have you found of little use?

Regards,
Of all the options I have in this car and the ones in my last three or so, I've never "used" any of the airbags. That said, I'd get them all again -- just in case.

Okay, kidding aside, let me just say that Bluetooth would be classified as one of the most useful options and I think you'll find that opinion is shared by most of us here (just look at how many people are going crazy trying to get it installed on earlier E60 builds.)
Old 09-17-2007, 06:31 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

High Beam Assist - Complete waste of ?95...
Old 09-17-2007, 07:20 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i w/ Sports & Permium Pkg. Silv/Blk 2008 VW R32 w/Nav. 1992 VW Corrado Silv/Blk-retired 2001 530i Sports/Premium-retired

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda' post='470231' date='Sep 17 2007, 10:31 AM
High Beam Assist - Complete waste of ?95...
Who....what?......what the hell is High Beam Assist

Quick Reply: Unused options...What are yours?