E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Untinted window peeling from inside?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 05:12 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2015 435xi GC

Of course, it took a cold wave/streak (a few days of -30C weather) for this to happen, but as of this morning, I started noticing a clear film peeling away from the inner-side of my front seat driver-side window...

Any ideas?

I can get you guys a pic, if necessary..

If this is DIY'able, I'll zoom on over to that subsection

Thanks
Old 01-24-2011, 05:56 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 05 545/6

it's laminated glass, it's that layer that's peeling off.
Old 01-24-2011, 06:08 AM
Senior Members

in your estimation, is this something I should run back to the dealer for? (warranty until June 1/2011) or can i get away with physically peeling off what i can, and forgetting about it?

thanks felix
Old 01-24-2011, 06:43 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 05 545/6

warranty, for sure. you want that layer- it keeps the pieces of tempered glass from being sprayed all over you in a crash.
Old 01-24-2011, 07:49 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 545I and a half dozen other rides

Old 01-24-2011, 08:59 AM
Members

+ 1 If under warranty use it !
Old 01-24-2011, 10:09 AM
Senior Members

As much as this thread merits a visit from Captain Obvious, I was hoping I could avoid a trip to the dealership.. Their attitude and service is almost completely dependent on how much cash they can potentially "milk" from their clients..

The words "Warranty Repair" are like freaking kyrptonite..

Getting them to look at--and work on-- my erratic "TPM Malf." errors was like pulling teeth... the brake vacuum recall took over a week (bulletin said 4 hrs) because 1st "there was no leak", then "they didnt have the parts", then "the mechanic who knows how to do it was out of town".. Flat-out, they don't want to "hear it" unless it feeds their cash cow.. I sense a few nasty phone calls, followed by a trip to the service manager, and a "sure, lets make an appointment, the day after your warranty expires".. lol.. BMW, you're lucky you make Godly cars
Old 01-24-2011, 03:19 PM
Members

Originally Posted by ron_cb550
Of course, it took a cold wave/streak (a few days of -30C weather) for this to happen, but as of this morning, I started noticing a clear film peeling away from the inner-side of my front seat driver-side window...

Any ideas?

I can get you guys a pic, if necessary..

If this is DIY'able, I'll zoom on over to that subsection

Thanks

I have the same problem on mine. Top rear of the driver window. Maybe a specific problem to Canadian! ;-)

Old 01-24-2011, 03:24 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

That's a safety issue. Warranty! I think it may even be in warranty longer than 50K mi....i would assume.
Old 01-24-2011, 03:32 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by ron_cb550
As much as this thread merits a visit from Captain Obvious, I was hoping I could avoid a trip to the dealership.. Their attitude and service is almost completely dependent on how much cash they can potentially "milk" from their clients..
The words "Warranty Repair" are like freaking kyrptonite..
Getting them to look at--and work on-- my erratic "TPM Malf." errors was like pulling teeth... the brake vacuum recall took over a week (bulletin said 4 hrs) because 1st "there was no leak", then "they didnt have the parts", then "the mechanic who knows how to do it was out of town".. Flat-out, they don't want to "hear it" unless it feeds their cash cow.. I sense a few nastyphone calls, followed by a trip to the service manager, and a "sure, lets make an appointment, the day after your warranty expires".. lol.. BMW, you're lucky you make Godly cars
Is this true of every BMW Dealer in Canada ?? Or only the one you have near-by? In either case don't you think BMW would be interested in hearing about your dealer experience.

On the other hand, and I am sure this is NOT the case with you, if customers walk in with a "you owe me" attitude ... the dealer might wish they had bought a Lexus. Just sayin - if you know what I mean

Quick Reply: Untinted window peeling from inside?