E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Uneven tyre wear and wheel alignment

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2005, 01:29 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: GONE BUT NOT FOGOTTEN : 530d SE Auto : Titanium Grey / Anthracite Leather, Poplar Trim, 18in 123 Style Alloys, Adaptive Bi-Xenons, Business Nav, Hi-Fi Speaker Package, Heated seats, Split-Fold Rear Seats LR DISCO 3 HSE with everything (including 3 kids)

There seems to be a long-running saga with uneven tyre wear with Dunlop Run-flats, there are many threads on this forum which touch on the subject.

While having a puncture repair yesterday, the fitter pointed to a small amount of uneven wear on the front tyres and asked me if I had hit a kerb/pothole and messed up my front alignment - which I dont believe has happened although it is always possible.

What's others experience of this ?

Another interesting thing my fitter mentioned when I asked him if he could check the alignment was that this needed to be done by a BMW dealer. He said that they had laser alignment kit that works for all other cars but they would not be able to do it properly on 5 and 7 series BMWs. Any ideas asto why this may be.
Old 06-14-2005, 10:46 AM
Members

Uneven wear on the fronts is strange.

Uneven wear on the rears, that is normal. Due to the negative camber BMW usually dials in on the rears, the inner portion of the tires take a lot of punishment.

For E39s, any old shop could do an alignment but you still wanted someone who knew what they were doing. I dunno if the E60s are more difficult or that the shops just don't have the experience yet.
Old 06-14-2005, 01:50 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i (06/04 Build) SMG, Titanium Grey, Black Dakota, Euro Reflectors, CIP 16.2

Originally Posted by ?gent99' date='Jun 14 2005, 01:46 PM
Uneven wear on the fronts is strange.

Uneven wear on the rears, that is normal.? Due to the negative camber BMW usually dials in on the rears, the inner portion of the tires take a lot of punishment.

For E39s, any old shop could do an alignment but you still wanted someone who knew what they were doing.? I dunno if the E60s are more difficult or that the shops just don't have the experience yet.
[snapback]139433[/snapback]
I had uneven wear on the front where the two edges of the tire were almost bald at 8500 miles.
Old 06-14-2005, 02:19 PM
Members

Originally Posted by marty530d' date='Jun 14 2005, 03:29 AM
There seems to be a long-running saga with uneven tyre wear with Dunlop Run-flats, there are many threads on this forum which touch on the subject.

While having a puncture repair yesterday, the fitter pointed to a small amount of uneven wear on the front tyres and asked me if I had hit a kerb/pothole and messed up my front alignment - which I dont believe has happened although it is always possible.

What's others experience of this ?

Another interesting thing my fitter mentioned when I asked him if he could check the alignment was that this needed to be done by a BMW dealer.? He said that they had laser alignment kit that works for all other cars but they would not be able to do it properly on 5 and 7 series BMWs.? Any ideas asto why this may be.
[snapback]139288[/snapback]
had the same problem at 19k miles - no tread on inside/outside of tyre, loads on the centre.

dealer wanted ?130 for alignment check - i refused

now trying to get bmw to contribute to cost of new tyres
Old 06-14-2005, 02:34 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 535D Sport Auto

My last 530d suffered uneven tyre wear on the front which was noticable after around 15,000 miles. My dealer reported it to me at the first service but did nothing about it. I ordered my 535d at the time of the service and took the matter no further.

My current car has too few miles on the clock.