E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Uncooperative Dealer

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2009, 09:49 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My battery has been going low and I keep getting the message that "battery disconnected".Also,other weird stuff like' Speed limit exceeded".
Took it to the dealer and was told "you don't drive the right way and you don't drive enough!
Was sold a BMW float charger and was told to plug the vehicle in every night!
HOW INSULTING CAN THEY BE??
I love driving the 5series but my old Ford Taurus (a real beater) is more reliable.
Does every BMW dealership act this rude?

Tell every owner of a plus $50k vehicle that they have to plug it in to a charger every night. WTF

All advice appreciated by me as a first time owner
Old 12-06-2009, 09:56 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

Sounds like yet another dealer that is not communicating properly. And I think you can safely add "upselling" to that as well.

1. "speed limit exceeded" message can be disabled. I don't remember exactly now how its done, but its in your iDrive and in your manual, dig in.

2. IMO if you have to plug the car in EVERY night, there is something wrong. However, what I think the SA was trying to tell you is: when you don't drive the car for extended periods, you should plug it in. Which makes some sense. Some.

3. Your Ford Taurus is not more reliable funny comparison though

4. Good time to look for a better dealership near you.

5. Remember: when dealing with dealers, it seems increasingly clear to me from experiences I read and hear about, that you're infinitely rewarded for making sure you... well, basically kiss butt. I wish there was a better way to say it, but let's be frank - the people at the dealership get yelled at many times a day, but if you're nice to them, they'll feel like you're special and deserve a break.

6. When the dealer fails, don't be afraid to contact BMW NA
Old 12-06-2009, 10:44 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

rev that engine when you drive, so that the alternator charges the battery.
Old 12-07-2009, 12:54 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 530d M Sport Automatic, Le Mans Edition.Le Mans Blue Individual Paint Special, Syrah Blue Individual Leather, Piano Black Individual Interior Trim, Front seat heating,M Double Spoke 172 19

I would ask the dealer what you would do if you parked at an airport for 2 weeks whilst on holiday?I remember a particular Ford model which couldn't manage that and in winter a trickle charger was used most nights.That was 20 years ago!!!
The longest period of non-use of my car has been 3 weeks garaged,no battery problems at all on starting,etc.If I experienced your problems I would not accept the type of customer service shown to you,try another dealer who may be interested in retaining you as a satisfied customer.
Are you noting this,BMW?
Old 12-07-2009, 06:54 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.

You really need to find another dealer. I mean, really!!!
Old 12-07-2009, 09:30 AM
Members

My Ride: 05 545i Black, auto trans, sport package

Originally Posted by porsche911targa' post='1069241' date='Dec 7 2009, 11:54 AM
You really need to find another dealer. I mean, really!!!
Suggest you look for a good indy garage...they can save you big bucks. Within the last month my indy saved me $400 on new battery replacement.
Old 12-07-2009, 12:30 PM
Members

Thanks for the replies.
The big question that came up now is "what does one do if they park it for two weeks at an airport while on vacation??
Old 12-07-2009, 05:46 PM
Members

My Ride: 05 545i Black, auto trans, sport package

Originally Posted by aland' post='1069500' date='Dec 7 2009, 05:30 PM
Thanks for the replies.
The big question that came up now is "what does one do if they park it for two weeks at an airport while on vacation??
I suppose you could disconnect the ground wire (negative) from the battery when leaving the car for extended periods. At least you won't return from your trips to a dead battery in the car. I know this is not the answer you want to hear but it will help out temporarily.
Old 12-07-2009, 06:04 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

battery should not be dead after 2 weeks immobile.
do you do a lot of short drives? are you a light-footed driver?
Old 12-07-2009, 06:42 PM
Members

Originally Posted by tooltec' post='1069140' date='Dec 7 2009, 04:54 AM
I would ask the dealer what you would do if you parked at an airport for 2 weeks whilst on holiday?I remember a particular Ford model which couldn't manage that and in winter a trickle charger was used most nights.That was 20 years ago!!!
The longest period of non-use of my car has been 3 weeks garaged,no battery problems at all on starting,etc.If I experienced your problems I would not accept the type of customer service shown to you,try another dealer who may be interested in retaining you as a satisfied customer.
Are you noting this,BMW?
Great point. My first car was an old Z24, it was a piece of junk, and I had the smallest battery in it I could find.. I left the thing for two weeks with a foot of snow covering it. I had to dig the car out to get into it, and it turned on with no problem.

Now he's telling you you're not driving the car enough.. Bullshit. Something's wrong. How can I have a car in the cold, covered in snow, with the CHEAPEST, SMALLEST battery I could find out performing a $60,000 BMW's battery...

Quick Reply: Uncooperative Dealer