E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Umnitza Rear M5 Bumper PDC Install Issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 07:26 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

well you're not the first to have issues with replica parts.
Old 03-24-2010, 08:53 AM
Members

My Ride: 07' 550i Options: Titanium Gray, STEPTRONIC 6-Speed, Sport Package, Cold Weather Package, Premium Package, Active Stering, Power Rear Sun Shade, Anthracite Maple Wood Trim, Alcantara Headliner, Ventilated Comfort Seats in Black Nasca Leather, Navigation, Heads-up Display, HD Radio, Satellite Radio, Logic 7 Sound w/ CD Changer, Adaptive Xenon Headlights, Folding Rear Seats with Ski Bag, Park Distance Control, Bluetooth Options: MTech Bumpers, Sprint Booster V2, RPi Scoop, Clear Bra, K&N Drop-in Filter, Predator ICE V3 Angel Eyes

The rear bumper that I received from Umnitza didn?t have the PDC holes drilled at all. Not only did my body shop drill the holes but they also took the little 2? or so PDC stands from the original bumper and plastic soldered them to the rep bumper. It took some extra effort but it turned out great.
Old 03-24-2010, 11:23 AM
Senior Members

The guys at umnitza are a bunch of idiots working there. I had a month long arguments via phone and email with "Tim" who doesnt have the slightest clue whats going on half the time. And then when you get on the phone with "Matt" he starts arguing with himself on the phone.

I have a e60 LCI, i paid for the full m5 kit and paid for fogs. they sent me a non-lci front bumper with no fog lights capability, no mesh grill and the head light washer bracket was too small to fit the housing on the uminitza front bumper. (At paypal checkout i put a little note on the comments section capaitalized "NO PDC, FOG LIGHTS CAPABLE, LCI")

If these idiots at umnitza only knew what it is like to live in a city where there is no access to a truck to get your bumper from the greyhound location to your body shop.

So ironb i feel your pain and next time think twice before buying anything from umnitza idiots.

Trinity all the way
Old 03-24-2010, 01:03 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

All I can say is: TRINITY FTW!!!!!! Joe and Weezy are the best out there and they will make sure you're happy.
Old 03-24-2010, 01:12 PM
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: M5
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by ironb
I just recently bought a Umnitza M5 Body Kit. I'm having a local body shop paint and install the kit for me. Today they started the process of installing the new kit. They had no problem installing the front bumper. On the rear bumper they are having trouble installing the pdc sensors for the rear bumper as the holes are too small to fit the sensors from the oem bumper. The shop is looking into a solution for fitting the oem sensors since they can not just drill a bigger hole and pop them in. Also please be careful when ordering from Umnitza as they sell these bumpers as one fits all approach and obviously this is not always the case.
We've had 3 or 4 members have this issue. It's not related to the PDC of pre or post LCI, rather it's related to sport vs non-sport PDC.

We acknowledge that the size of the holes is a problem, though it is a small one (pun kind of intended) and if you need further assistance - we'll be happy to discuss the remedy with the shop.

One very very important point here is for everyone to make sure the shop doing the work is test fitting and pre-fitting all parts prior to painting. If there is any mistake made on any shipment, we will be happy to work it out with you but we cannot do so when the bumper is painted.

That being said, see comments below for further validation that it's not as big a deal as the shop may be making it out to be. In the end, the bumper will fit perfectly and look very good and I will be happy to talk to the shop to help you make it so

Originally Posted by PraiseTheLowered
well the bumper fits, the issue is its a rep so the pdc holes are a tad smaller, some other members ran into the same issue but i cant seem to remember how they fixed it, i think some slight modification did the trick
It's a slight modification. Correct.

Originally Posted by jamthogtr
When I ordered my m5 rear from Umnitza they told me that the hole would be too small, but wouldn't be hard for a good body shop to modify. My body shop just made the holes bigger. I'm pretty sure, from what I remember, that the sensors are just held in by friction from a snug fit. I also have an 07 550 and my body shop didn't have a problem modifying the bumper. Hope this helps.
Good to hear that a good body shop will do the work without too many issues.

Originally Posted by Robb924
The rear bumper that I received from Umnitza didn?t have the PDC holes drilled at all. Not only did my body shop drill the holes but they also took the little 2? or so PDC stands from the original bumper and plastic soldered them to the rep bumper. It took some extra effort but it turned out great.
Correct. This is specific to the Mtech rears that were only introduced initially without PDC. We've been working with the factory to get more of them.
Old 03-24-2010, 02:34 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 550i SMG, HUD, Cold Weather/Sport Package, Mtech front bumper, Oem M5 rear bumper, V1 Concealed, RPI Scoop, 6000K HID both Fog and Headlight, M5 mirrors, LED interior lighting, M5 SMG Shift Knob, Eisenmann Sport Exhaust Quad Pipe, 30% Tint, Sprint B
Model Year: 2007

Thanks for all your responses the shop is working through the issues. I will update the this thread once they have arrived at a solution. It would be nice if there was a disclaimer about the pdc fitting issue so I could have forewarn the shop before painting.
Old 04-03-2010, 06:25 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 550i SMG, HUD, Cold Weather/Sport Package, Mtech front bumper, Oem M5 rear bumper, V1 Concealed, RPI Scoop, 6000K HID both Fog and Headlight, M5 mirrors, LED interior lighting, M5 SMG Shift Knob, Eisenmann Sport Exhaust Quad Pipe, 30% Tint, Sprint B
Model Year: 2007

I finally got the bumper installed. It was not an easy task since the holes had to be enlarged after the bumper was painted. Currently one of the middle sensors will give a false reading. I will have to take it back to the shop to fix that. I'm feeling 50/50 on the exhaust tips right now. I'm thinking of switching them to dual ovals on each side. For the diffuser section has anyone done a mesh insert?

Thanks for all your responses the shop is working through the issues. I will update the this thread once they have arrived at a solution. It would be nice if there was a disclaimer about the pdc fitting issue so I could have forewarn the shop before painting.
Old 04-03-2010, 08:10 PM
Contributors

the gap horizontally between the edges and the exhaust looks really weird. Go quads my friends DEFINITELY
Old 04-04-2010, 11:10 AM
Contributors

I had PDC issues last year with the Umnitza M5 rear. The hole in the bumper wasn't as issue in my case. The sensor would fit but all the readings would be flatlined like i'm about to hit something. At first I thought it might be reading the edge of the holes. This was NOT the case at all. These BMW sensors do have a left and right if that makes sense. They must go in, in a particular way. Umnitza's PDC brackets that hold the sensor are turned 45 degrees causing the sensors to instead read left and right, read up and down. the sensors are then reading the ground which causes it to give that "false reading". What I had to do was cut off the two tabs that hold the sensor to the bumper. I then rotated the sensor to the correct position and used so epoxy to keep them there. The flaw in this resolution is if I were the change bumpers I don't think i could remove my PDCs from the Umnitza M5 rear. Major design flaw in Umnitza's M5 PDC rear
Old 04-04-2010, 11:24 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I finally got the bumper installed. It was not an easy task since the holes had to be enlarged after the bumper was painted. Currently one of the middle sensors will give a false reading. I will have to take it back to the shop to fix that. I'm feeling 50/50 on the exhaust tips right now. I'm thinking of switching them to dual ovals on each side. For the diffuser section has anyone done a mesh insert?

Every Kit I've seen has a mesh insert on the back diffuser I was actually looking at your pic kind of shocked yours didn't strange looking indeed!
And Yeah I'm not feeling the exhaust tips much, too much gappage going on there, other than that the kit looks pretty good.

Quick Reply: Umnitza Rear M5 Bumper PDC Install Issue