E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Ultimate Driving Machine my white ass

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2012, 09:56 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yet again, I post another problem. The 3-series was great. My Dodge was great. My Mercedes was great.
This car on the other hand is the biggest piece of shit I've ever owned, and will probably take the top on the list for pieces of shit until the day I die.

The ride is ok.... truth is my Dodge had a better ride... handling sucks. Coming to a stop is like being on a boat... thing bounces and rebounds like the shocks are made of mush... and they're fine so what's the problem... I'm so tired of this car, if there weren't such repercussions I'd have a bonfire tonight.

SES light with increased emissions warnings. lots of other fun stuff too AC Compressor clutch sounds like pennies going through a fan (part is sitting in the utility room awaiting appointment.....$700 dollars and $300 or so for install... f**k BMW... you sourced the biggest piece of garbage components... thanks again.... could have at least researched the component... not like you had to design the damn thing.... those compressors are great, the clutch they stick on them is crap and that is widely known... one would think a "car engineer" ...whatever they're called... would know that this particular compressor is crap...)... bloody transmission is looser than a.... Reverse takes 5 seconds to engage... oh but that's normal for a piece of garbage transmission right... by design says BMW.... man I hate this car.....

I can afford the repairs... the fact that I bought what I thought was the "ultimate driving machine' has proven to be a fallacy of proportions that only the Nutella conspiracy could match. I don't have time or patience to fix something that should work. If I drove the shit out of it, would be a different story.

So, if any BMW corporate peon's are reading this... I say thanks for building a piece of shit and turning your noses up at people who are putting out big bucks to drive them. FU.

Sorry guys had to vent.
I bet everyone driving a 545 feels the same way. Thanks for dropping the ball BMW... smooth... real smooth. Whole thing reminds me of the 'lipstick on a pig' remark made by a politician not too long ago. This piece of garbage has a whole lot of lipstick......

While I'm at it..I should get to the problem....anyone know WTF the DTML pump is????
My lovable SES light is staying on... everything seems fine but the light... sounds like everyone else with the 'DTML' problems. Is this a vent device for the gas tank??

Old 04-29-2012, 10:23 AM
Contributors

Yikes Sotek ... sounds like you bought someone's nightmare.

I'm sure you expect any 7-8 year old car to have some issues but it sounds like you've had more than your share.

I suppose these couldn't have been detected when you did the pre-purchase inspection or if the original owner laid out the issues and repairs done beforehand.

Truly sorry the example you've landing in is so crappy to you but I don't think it's fair to paint the whole BMW world with the brush of hate - especially since your 3'er was something you linked.

It may be time to cut your losses (financial and emotional) and find something that won't eat through the bottom of your wallet or your nerves.
Old 04-29-2012, 10:30 AM
Members

You're right Luigi! I needed to vent. Thanks for the ear. I really have had an enormous amount of problems with this car. The 3-series was amazing... only one issue with it was the waterpump, but that was expected given the miles I put on her.
I'm going to call the stealership tomorrow and give them an ultimatum. They're always good to me but I fear they'll want too much $$$ to return it. I truly believe that BMW dropped the ball on these V8's... I think they were trying to produce them too 'economically' and dropped the ball in a few spots to keep the asking price around $60-80k. They should have just built them properly.

Thanks again for lending an ear and some advice.

Geez... my stealership just stocked a half dozen new Beamers.... oh mannnn... and they have a z4.... I swear, BMW's are like an abusive relationship.
Old 04-29-2012, 10:42 AM
Members

I almost want to get another one... that's the disgusting part. Like I say.. it's like an abusive relationship.
I want to think the 545i was just a piece of crap. I do believe they "cheaped" out trying to keep the price down whilst sticking in a v8.

Only issue with the z4 (as noted above..my dealer just stocked one)..is the dog can't go in the back and I don't want him on the front seat. I got the 5 to give him some more room.
Another thing with the z4 is that cruising with a 3L always feels like I'm pushing it alot... doesn't have the same smoothness at fast highway speeds as the 4.4L. I'd look at the 6'series but they're running the same engine.
Of all cars.. I like BMW's style the most... It's hard to look at anything else, once you've owned a bimmer. Heck... even the Ferrari's, Porsche's, Lambo's etc.. they're nice.. but BMW has the usability and looks that make it the best all round (IMHO)... All these issues with the 5'er can really make one disgruntled. But.... I'll probably fall back in to another and keep getting the shit kicked out of my wallet. ..just won't get a 5'er!

Maybe the light will go out and I can grin and bear this thing for another few months before the next repair springs up.
Old 04-29-2012, 11:54 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2004 E61 530D - Dynamic Drive - Active Front Steering Sport Seats - Voice Control - Head Up Display - Nav Pro - Bluetooth - Panoramic roof - Front/rear heated seats

Sounds like you got a monday morning car.

Based on the experiences of the numerous 545/550 owners here you should be able to get a non-crappy specimen and enjoy it without substantial issues. When a specific car gives you so much trouble get rid of it, frustration and doubts about what's to come will nag at you forever, ruining all the fun...

Good luck
Old 04-29-2012, 12:34 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

Sorry to hear this. I'm not to familiar with the 545 or 550. I agree with you on the abusive relationship part although I really have never had any big issues or any of the issues you're experiencing. I currently have a Z4 and love it but it's a killer on a bald head with no SPF. lol. My 3er and 5er have been good but they all have M54 engines. To be honest, I will probably never buy a modern day BMW unless I got it for a good price. I will never jump into any of the N series engines. The electronics and sophistication has been overwhelming on the best of BMW techs. Without support from Germany's Techical Support most BMW techs in these dealerships would be out. I agree BMW dropped the ball trying to keep up. I have a friend who is the Manager of Service department and most of the time his job is dodging customer bullets.
Old 04-29-2012, 01:47 PM
Members

Originally Posted by AchtungE60
Sorry to hear this. I'm not to familiar with the 545 or 550. I agree with you on the abusive relationship part although I really have never had any big issues or any of the issues you're experiencing. I currently have a Z4 and love it but it's a killer on a bald head with no SPF. lol. My 3er and 5er have been good but they all have M54 engines. To be honest, I will probably never buy a modern day BMW unless I got it for a good price. I will never jump into any of the N series engines. The electronics and sophistication has been overwhelming on the best of BMW techs. Without support from Germany's Technical Support most BMW techs in these dealerships would be out. I agree BMW dropped the ball trying to keep up. I have a friend who is the Manager of Service department and most of the time his job is dodging customer bullets.
It looks to me as if BMW's engineering department believed their Finite Element Analysis (FEA) software too much, and helped the manufacturing department Muntz out (as in "Mad Man" Muntz televisions)the OEM parts from 2003 onwards. My '07 530i (E60) has been the least reliable vehicle I've owned since 2001, and the '92 Jeep was at least relatively cheap to fix...

No drive train issues so far, knock on wood, but several rounds of AC parts developing leaks, a cracked coolant recovery bottle, engine oil and transmission fluid leaks, and the latest bite from my wallet - the infamous water in the trunk from the sun roof drains frying the on-board computer and battery cables...

Other folks have had other parts fail early due to fatigue...

If BMW would just fix their design flaws under warranty, I wouldn't be so disappointed.
Old 04-29-2012, 02:02 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

My Roadster is 03 and my E60 and E46 are both 04s. The coolant resevoir has always been an issue but i have never had it. Engine oil leak ALWAYS been a problem since the life of BMW. Now the water in the trunk and sunroof issue on E60 were an issue but I never had them. Water in the trunk does not fry any ECU or OBC but it does hit your MPM (micro-power module if it wasn't already relocated. As far as battery cables, this is a newer thing.

I agree with you. Although I have never had issues like you've had I do believe they have issues that should be addressed without some sophisticated algorithm telling them it's time.

Most of these issues and preventative measures have been posted on this board within the past 4 years.
I think when someone owns a vehicle they should reach out to people that own the same and converse with them regarding issues or concerns. This is the best way to resolve issues, do preventative maintenance, and know all about the car you're driving.
Old 04-29-2012, 02:06 PM
Members

I have an '04 545i as well - feel the same way. Fix one thing, another needs fixed.
Old 04-29-2012, 02:25 PM
Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i M Sport

I own my 545i for 4,5 year now. You guys are bashing on the cars that went through 3 maybe 4 owners. I am the second owner and the car is 7 years old. I am not saying it has been trouble free. I've had two major problems with it however fixed under warranty even though the car was passed it. Thanks BMW. I have replaced by now aux water pump, rear brakes windshield washer water pump( antifreeze frozen in the tank my wife killed it) PDF sensor positive battery cable with terminal. I bought car two years old. Usually someone buying 70K car can afford maintenance. Do not get me wrong but, the more people own the car the larger possibility something will go wrong. Just my .02

Quick Reply: Ultimate Driving Machine my white ass