E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

UK Users - Do you use independant garages?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 05:09 AM
bal
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 530d

Hi Guys,

Currently you have the right to service and repair your car wherever you wish, but in 2010 that right could be removed.

European legislation is due to disappear in 2010 along with our freedom of choice. Typically you will save 50% on repairs at independant garages and in future we will have to pay main dealer prices!

If you are against this, take a look at www.r2rc.co.uk and sign the online petition
Old 04-07-2009, 08:09 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by bal' post='838917' date='Apr 7 2009, 03:09 PM
Hi Guys,

Currently you have the right to service and repair your car wherever you wish, but in 2010 that right could be removed.

European legislation is due to disappear in 2010 along with our freedom of choice. Typically you will save 50% on repairs at independant garages and in future we will have to pay main dealer prices!

If you are against this, take a look at www.r2rc.co.uk and sign the online petition
That doesn't sound right at all. How can anyone MAKE you go to a main dealer? Once it's out of warranty, you must be free to go anywhere. The only way I can imagine this scenario you've described, is if your car will fail to get it's MOT unless it's been serviced, and at the main dealer. The MOT has always been a certificate of roadworthiness though, and having a service has no relation to that. I think this is most likely someone misinterpreting something.

Disclaimer: I didn't click on the link as a domain called r2rc sounds suspicious to me. If a domain isn't trying to tell you what it's about in it's name, then I don't rate it.
Old 04-07-2009, 08:34 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530D SE; Mystic Blue; Beige Leather; Luxury Pack; Media Pack; Visibility Pack; 123's; Logic 7; + to many more to type........... 2008 730D; Black Sapphire; Cream Beige Leather; plenty of options!

Originally Posted by bal' post='838917' date='Apr 7 2009, 02:09 PM
Hi Guys,

European legislation is due to disappear in 2010 along with our freedom of choice. ............
Ummmmmm.... the legislation only referred to inside warranty: advice from the AA (UK) site...............

"The European regulations governing the sale and after-sales servicing of new cars changed in October 2003 - for new cars purchased after that date you're no longer obliged, during the warranty period, to have the car serviced by a franchise dealer. You must however continue to get the car serviced according to the manufacturer's recommended schedule and criteria using only manufacturer approved parts.

The legislation only applies to the part of the warranty offered by the manufacturer, i.e. insurance-backed extended warranties offered by dealers are not covered. If you do have the car serviced outside the dealer network it is essential that it's done to the maker's recommended schedule and criteria using approved parts. You must also keep records to enable you to demonstrate to the manufacturer that servicing was undertaken to their requirements."

Couldn't see any dramatic change as DD_545i alludes to; what is being suggested is not goning to find favour anywhere...........
Old 04-07-2009, 09:46 AM
Members

im afraid to go to independent garages that service cars other than the one you currently have - the amount of times ive left my car at a garage and wondered if somethings gone missing from my car so joe bloggs mates can have the bits of mines to get their car working then i get charged to repair it as its gone faulty or failed on mines,
Ive had tweaters on a prveious car go missing and im sure they were there befpre just took me months to realise so cant prove it
Old 04-07-2009, 11:18 AM
bal
Members

My Ride: 2004 530d

The website is short for right 2 repair camgaign. Basically manufacturer's will not be obliged to disclose service info to garages, and so they are unable to work on the newer cars. Check out the vid on the website, it will explain it better
Old 04-07-2009, 04:55 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535d

Thats good news. Frankly I don't rate independant service dealerships much. These cars are getting too complex and its best done at the dealers. I always service my car at the dealers no matter how old they are.

Banning Independants will also be an advantage to anyone buying a used BMW since all the servicing would be done at a dealership. Its easy to check the history. Many times when I have looked at used cars, the service book is stamped but I am never 100% sure if it was a legimate service place or some cheapo joint.

Mcars of all should always be serviced by a dealer and I personally will not buy a used Mcar from anyone that says he does his own work on the car etc... !! Its just not right. Buy a car that one can afford to run and maintain. Its as simple as that in my view. Thats my 2pence worth.

cheers
Old 04-08-2009, 12:33 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530D SE; Mystic Blue; Beige Leather; Luxury Pack; Media Pack; Visibility Pack; 123's; Logic 7; + to many more to type........... 2008 730D; Black Sapphire; Cream Beige Leather; plenty of options!

Originally Posted by bal' post='839393' date='Apr 7 2009, 08:18 PM
................ Basically manufacturer's will not be obliged to disclose service info to garages, and so they are unable to work on the newer cars........................
Independent garages have struggled to secure information from manufacturers in the past and will continue to do so, e.g. faults codes; I would not see any legislation being so harsh that it literally forced the manufacturer to create an open door for passing away their future as a business! EU laws are often stupidly arranged however would they wish to destroy the European car industry? Hence the Block Exemption regulation changes in 2010.

Car manufacturers invest for a return; if forced to pass all of the technology over to the ?open? market how do they secure future income streams? Product sales, as in cars etc., do not create the margins required for their business?s to survive, ongoing servicing revenue can and does create an income stream that?s vital to their business future.

The world markets, if not already, are shifting emphasis to after sale income in supporting their business's. We all enjoy the technology that is provided do we not? How would this technology advancement be funded in not a just liberalised market but a free for all market, the emphasis being on 'free' here; there is a pressure point here in wanting an open market and one that offers a return for the car manufacturers.

As to the expressed doubling of pricing by the r2rc web site, well that may be the real price of future cars or not; recall here that car manufacturers are under immense pressure to produce 'environmentally? clean cars in future years, this will have to be paid for and given away their future service income would not be a clever scheme for manufacturers; hence IMO behind closed doors the EU commission and car manufacturers have 'discussed? this issue and the changes to the Block Exemption legislation are the compromise position, my view anyway...................
Old 04-08-2009, 03:05 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Estoril Blue 440i GC
Model Year: 2017

Originally Posted by rborhara' post='839272' date='Apr 7 2009, 06:46 PM
im afraid to go to independent garages that service cars other than the one you currently have - the amount of times ive left my car at a garage and wondered

I'm actually afraid when I take my car to a DEALER'S!!
Not that they'll pinch anything, but their competence in general. They may have the diagnostic kit and "back up", but little in the way of intelligent thought. Pay peanuts, get monkeys!!

No, I don't use Indy's, but only because I made a business decision that my car will be worth more when I sell it with a Dealer stamp in the book rather than an Indy. As I only get my car serviced for the book every 18 months, I don't spend a lot at the Dealers. I do change the oil and filter "half way" for my own peace of mind - being old fashioned, I like to change my oils more frequently than the iDrive says. I consider 18000 miles too much. Not everyone has the ability, facilities or the inclination to DIY.

I have a pal who runs a small town garage, with servicing and sales. He was recounting his experience with Renaults. They will supply him with technical CD's so he can service Renault cars (he has a lot of electronic diagnostic kit too), but he says that even some "normal" intrusive maintenance requires him to network with Renault Head Office, which he cannot do as he's not a Dealer! This from a Manufacturer that has mainstream cars that have to be recoded on Renault equipment when they have a flat battery to restore the power steering. Really. I was surprised too. (don't buy a Modus with an old battery!)

Mike
Old 04-08-2009, 03:26 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 530d M-Sport

They are all useless lying theiving scum anyways, with the exception of a very valuable few.

The only bonus with MD servicing is that if they cock it up they are totally liable and backed by the big BMW logo..............in theory anyways.
Old 04-08-2009, 10:17 AM
Members

I have used and will continue to use an independant on mine but only as I don't believe it will devalue my car further.

I am aware the extended warrenties (including BMW) are not factory backed, which is why when you read the small print they can insist the furture servicing is done through a main dealer. Block exemption rules only applied to factory backed warrenties on new cars.

For peace of mind I can see why people would go for them though.