E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

UK E60 525i - Few Problems/Questions?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 12:45 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi chaps, got a 2005 on a 54 525i on Friday night, and it has a few issues was wondering if anyone could help on any of them!

1) Overheated - Drove home for 3 hours and it drove fine, got home took my mate for a drive and got an overheating warning drive moderate (I was already) so carried on then made me stop. So I did, got out, checked water and dry, so filled it up, drove home and came on again. Was dark so left it but I did a 5 minute or so drive with it on (oops) anyway woke up in the morning and bottom left hose had come of the radiator, so pushed it back on, topped up water and coolant, drove a short distance over the day and was fine, then yesterday popped off again, so repeated then same again. So found out if had the mettle clip missing. So nicked the one that leads to the engine, clipped it on and made a need one for the engine pipe, this sorted the problem, think there was an air lock too. So drove fine for about 10 minutes then same again. So took thermostat out all together and has since driven fine. So ordered a new one today. Question is the metal clips can the be bought separate from the dealer? PN and price?

2) Fault codes - First one when I start engine is the restraint system, when I bought the car he said it had leather in from a limo? :S with fully electric headrests, memory settings, electric sliders etc and this is why the warning was on as the airbag plug was changed, does this just need resetting? Done of the side electrics on the seats work so I can't move the seats at all? Is this a common retor-fit or something out of the blue? Easy to wire in? Clear codes easily?

3) Battery Drain - He blames this down o the fault codes being stored so they drain the battery overnight? I had to jump it each morning but then will last the day and drains overnight again? I've gone to locking the car, opening boot with key and disconnecting battery but the alarm goes off? alternator and belt seam fine, and is fine all through the day just anything over say 5 hours will need a jump. Dead battery or is it really the faults? There's a buzzing noise that doesn't go away from the right hand side of the engine a small black box connected to the side? Maybe this? Could it be a relay not switching off or something?

4) CD's - Does this year not allow Mp3 CD's? Is there any software update I can do to get this working or not?

5) Mirrors - Is it possible that I can have them to fold in on the flock of the key?

6) Bluetooth - How would i go about retro fitting it?

Other then that only other thing I can't find despite going through all the iDrive manual is the engine temp?

Hope someone can help with any of these?

Much Appreciated and sorry for such a long in depth first post!

Simon
Old 05-21-2012, 05:08 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok in relation to #3 the box that has a buzzing noise and doesn't stop I found a picture online is the bit in red below -

Any reason why this will buz and not stop even with engine off, keys out and locked? Could this be draining my battery? Relay to this?

Thanks