E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

UhOh What does this symbol mean????

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 02:58 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lately when I start my car after it being off for more than a few hours i get a check control symbol in the instrument cluster of what looks like a car up on a lift. What does this mean??? Is my car in trouble?
Cheers
Old 03-26-2008, 03:19 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Sounds like a trip to the dealer, but could be any number of things. Go into to iDrive where you can read the Check Control messages to see exactly what the problem is.
Old 03-26-2008, 03:34 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 545i - Titanium Silver/Black, Sport pkg, Comfort Seats w/ Lumbar, Premium Sound, power rear sunshade, Adaptive Xenon Headlights, Steptronic, Park Distance Control, Fold down rear seats w/ski bag, Aux jack, 6-disk changer, puddle lamps... Engine: Custom Remus cat-back exhaust w/chrome square tips, K&N Air Filter, Charcoal Filter Removed, Sprint Booster :-), 50/50 mix of 91+100 Octane, EuroRev ECU Remap (coming soon lol), Dinan High-Flow Throttle Body (coming soon...maybe lol) Interior: Portable Sirius Stilletto 100 w/car kit, Garmin Nuvi 680 mounted below rear-view mirror, LCI-style I-drive knob, Dark Poplar Center Dashboard Trim. Exterior: E60 forum clings, 5% rear tint, ACS roof spoiler (painted black for distinct look against limo tint), ACS trunk spoiler, ACS add-on front spoiler and rear apron (awaiting installation), "18 Black Staggered BeBeS Style OER (emergency replacement for cracked sport 124 rims), black kidney grill, white accessory lighting (including license and trunk lamps), Angel-eye upgrade, AIB xenon-matched fog lamps, AIB V3's on order, red rear reflectors

Originally Posted by kscarrol' post='551279' date='Mar 26 2008, 04:19 PM
Sounds like a trip to the dealer, but could be any number of things. Go into to iDrive where you can read the Check Control messages to see exactly what the problem is.
That, or a service is coming up. Check your service schedules in idrive and look for any yellow or reds.
Old 03-26-2008, 07:44 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 550i, Sport Package, Cold Weather Package, Nav, Jet Black, natural brown interior, automatic, Logic 7, ipod, lane departure warning.

Had the same thing happen to me on Sunday..pretty weird. Then I noticed that my date and time had reset...

My bro in law has same car, and he had it happen to him on Monday...WTF?
Old 03-26-2008, 07:54 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Mini Cooper

sounds like a bug in the software???
Old 03-26-2008, 09:03 PM
Members

its most likely time for a vehicle check at your local bmw dealer!
Old 03-26-2008, 11:12 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

If you see the car on lift symbol and the date/time needs resetting, it's likely that you're having the "increased battery discharge" message due to something not allowing the car to go into sleep mode.

Next time you see the symbol, look at the status line at the bottom of the central (iDrive) display and see what it says...
Old 03-26-2008, 11:34 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 07 550 i, mystic blue, black leather, cold weather package, nav, sport, shades, bags, rear heat, V1 hardwired. 05 F350 TD Crew Cab 04 Range Rover HSE 91 964 C4 Cabrio 07 997 Turbo Cabrio

Do you have an ipod hooked to the car round the clock? I seem to be the only person on the planet driving a 550 that leaving the ipod hooked up won't let the car sleep. This could contribute to the problem Rudy diagnosed.
Old 03-27-2008, 05:12 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by studavis' post='551518' date='Mar 27 2008, 03:34 AM
Do you have an ipod hooked to the car round the clock? I seem to be the only person on the planet driving a 550 that leaving the ipod hooked up won't let the car sleep. This could contribute to the problem Rudy diagnosed.
It's not always something like an iPod that keeps the car awake. Often times, it's something internal (like a BMW module) that is the culprit. On my car, this problem was traced to the gear selector switch. Once the switch was replaced, the problem went away.

Recently, I'm starting to see the same problem once in a while but I think it's related to something else. I'm still collecting data on things but I think it's related to something else. I seem to have the problem if I walk up to a locked (sleeping) car and I get something out of the trunk only. In other words, I don't unlock the car, I just open the trunk (with CA) and close it again. Later on, when I return to the car, it'll give me the discharge warning and I'll have to reset the clock and possibly the date, depending on how many days the car was sitting...
Old 03-27-2008, 05:30 AM
Members

Would connecting a carputer to the power lines that were originally powering the CD changer in the glove box and leaving it in standby overningt cause the car not to go into sleep mode?
I recently installed this but the error symbol didnt show up for a while after. Does the car monitor the power being drawn on variou 12v lines to see if something is stil active or how does it know a device is using power continuosly?

If this is the problem where can I get a 12v line in the front of my car that is not monitored or wont show this warning symbol?

Cheers for replies.

Quick Reply: UhOh What does this symbol mean????