E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Tyre Puncture Warning

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2005, 09:59 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Black 520i, Black leather interior, Active Steering, DSC, PDC, Ornamental grille, Audio Aux Input

Tyre puncture warning went off on me today.

Checked & rechecked all my 4 runflats - eyeballed them - looked ok - went to a gas station & checked the pressures - all ok

this happened after a spot of quick acceleration & hard driving along a wet straight - floored the accelerator 'cos some dumb guy in a nissan micra was flashing his high beams at me - had some wheel spin 'cos it had just rained

i seem to recall that the tyre pressure sensor uses ABS sensors to detect if one wheel is spinning at a dif rate from the rest - if so - will hard driving erroneously trigger off the "tyre puncture" sensor when there's actually no puncture at all?

if so - how do i reset the sensor - 'cos even after restarting - the message still shows

i would RTFM but i dont know where it is.....
Old 10-16-2005, 10:16 AM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

Originally Posted by eugeneloke' date='Oct 16 2005, 10:59 AM
Tyre puncture warning went off on me today.

Checked & rechecked all my 4 runflats - eyeballed them - looked ok - went to a gas station & checked the pressures - all ok

this happened after a spot of quick acceleration & hard driving along a wet straight - floored the accelerator 'cos some dumb guy in a nissan micra was flashing his high beams at me - had some wheel spin 'cos it had just rained

i seem to recall that the tyre pressure sensor uses ABS sensors to detect if one wheel is spinning at a dif rate from the rest - if so - will hard driving erroneously trigger off the "tyre puncture" sensor when there's actually no puncture at all?

if so - how do i reset the sensor - 'cos even after restarting - the message still shows?

i would RTFM but i dont know where it is.....?
[snapback]184955[/snapback]
I remember it being discussed that the owners manual says that "spirited" driving can cause a false alarm. You reset in iDrive.
Old 10-16-2005, 10:42 AM
Contributors

My Ride: In a place where the Mercedes density is the highest in the world (no. of MB per square kilometer) I choose a Bimmer, why? because of one thing "The Ultimate Driving Experience" My Ride: 523i Steptronic, Silver Grey Exterior, Black Interior with Black Dakota Leather and Maple Wood Trim. Chrome Grill, Style 123 rim, Airbags everywhere, PDC, Rain sensor, Auto lights, Moveable front armrest, Advance Climate Control, Glass Sunroof, Auto dimming interior and exterior mirror with foldable functions, Extended Lights package, 6 CD changer in glove box, Power seats with memory, Power adjustable steering wheel, Power rear sunblinds. Add ons: 123 wheels, chrome grill, K&N Hi flow filter, Eibach Pro Kit, e60.net decal and 24,000km Past rides: 2001 Nissan Xterra SE 1999 E39 523i 1999 E46 323i 1996 Acura Integra LS

Originally Posted by stream' date='Oct 17 2005, 02:16 AM
I remember it being discussed that the owners manual says that "spirited" driving can cause a false alarm.? You reset in iDrive.
[snapback]184960[/snapback]
That sucks :thumbsdown: if I want "un-spirited" driving I would get a MB
Old 10-16-2005, 11:32 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by AC_S5' date='Oct 16 2005, 01:42 PM
[quote name='stream' date='Oct 17 2005, 02:16 AM']

I remember it being discussed that the owners manual says that "spirited" driving can cause a false alarm.? You reset in iDrive.
[snapback]184960[/snapback]
That sucks :thumbsdown: if I want "un-spirited" driving I would get a MB
[snapback]184963[/snapback]
[/quote]You could check out what's in the threads below, but I doubt they will help much. stream probably gave the best answer we can give.

Vent

Battery Disco/Reco-ing-"Computer" Reset
Old 10-22-2005, 07:30 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: –

Can I share my experience?

It happened to me, too.

Well, the first time it occured it really was a tyre puncture, the right rear tyre was punctured. It was then replaced with a new Bridgestone Potenza RE050 tyre.. I received the same warning some days after the replacement and I thought fuck, this can't be for real. Ok, I then slowed down and headed to the nearest gas station to check whether it was a flat tyre. It wasn't. It seemed that every tyre had different pressure readings Front tyres had like 1,7bar and 1,9 bar, rear tyres had 2,0bar and 2,6bar (the new tyre). Ok, I then inflated front wheels to 2,2bar and rears to 2,6bar, as suggested by BMW (Our 535d has the 245/40/18-tyres).
Old 10-22-2005, 08:19 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Black 520i, Black leather interior, Active Steering, DSC, PDC, Ornamental grille, Audio Aux Input

since i started this thread let me provide an update.....
reset in idrive the next day - no further problems
Old 10-22-2005, 08:32 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Hello Fin535dA,

What is your impression of the Bridgestones?

I had a great problem last winter (non RF winter tyres) with the tyre puncture warning going off every damned week.

My local dealer said it would be taken care of with a new software.

Well the winter ended, and I traded to my new E60 before the update, so probly next week I see how the new car will do.
Old 10-22-2005, 01:16 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: –

The Bridgestones are great performers in my opinion. You can drive very hard without losing the grip. In everyday driving they are bit hard compared to Goodyear Eagle F1 we had in our previous E39. However, the Potenzas are not as tread-sensitive (uraherkki? ) as the Goodyears, which is great! A great sporting RF tyre, indeed, at least much better than Dunlop's or Goodyear's RF tyres. But non-RF performance tyres still draw the longest straw in terms of traction and comfort.It is, howerev, too bad that one can't drive at all with a punctured non-RF tyre
Old 10-22-2005, 04:58 PM
Members

That STUPID thing happens to me once a month. Not sure if it's because I have the 19" BMW wheels. It happened yesterday and as usual, I checked the pressure, no problems. UGGHHHH!!!
Old 11-01-2005, 05:32 PM
Members

Hi,
New member here, purchased my 05' 545i back in March.

Had my puncture sensor go off today, sure enough there was a nail in my right rear tire. Took the tire to my local America's Tire Company, they patche it up and were just about to mount it back to the rim.

The tech noticed a 10" split on the inside where the sidewall is. He called Bridgestone and explained the situation. They said it's because of load.

I find it very odd that it's a run flat tire, and I didn't drive it flat. Tire still had 30psi in it.

Just wanted to see if anyone else had encountered this problem. I'm gonna call Bridgestone tommorow and see what they say. Should I take the rim and tire my local BMW and let them deal with Bridgestone? The car only has 5k miles on it.