E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Two sport mode activations...???

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2013, 12:13 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Two sport mode activations...???

Okay I need help. I have a 2010 535i E60 with the sport package. I have a sport mode button on the shifter console, (and "sport" appears on the dash), And another sport mode option by shift my gear shift lever to the left (says S1-S6 on the dash). What is the difference in using either?? Please help...
Old 05-13-2013, 02:47 AM
Members

My Ride: BMW 530d titansilver, manual transmission BMW 535d titansilver, automatic + AMG shift Paddles

The one on the gear lever activates the whole car's sport mode (more direct feel through the steering, faster gearshifts, more responsive gas pedal), while the gearbox sport mode keeps the engine in higher rpms (like it would stay in 3rd gear where normal "Drive" would use 4th).

If you activate both, and change manually, the response from the gearbox, and the actual gearchange time is very fast
Old 05-13-2013, 04:05 PM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

I have the sports tranny too and in my case when testing either the shifter to the left in sport mode/manual or depressing the sport button I can't seem to tell a difference. The only thing I can say for my car is in sprt/manual the paddle shifts stay in gear that you select and if I stay in auto an depress the button and then actuate the paddles they only go into manual for a short time. If i go manual and depress sport I can feel the car to be a little more aggressive.
Old 05-13-2013, 05:30 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: Alpine E60, '09 535i-Premium, Sport and Comfort Access PackageMods: Lux H8 V3 Angel Eyes, Weisslicht LED license plate lights, Interior LED lights, RPI Scoop, Matte Black Grills, Smoked LED side markers & side reflectors, 35% tint all around, and a 3

Originally Posted by tonyb635
I have the sports tranny too and in my case when testing either the shifter to the left in sport mode/manual or depressing the sport button I can't seem to tell a difference. The only thing I can say for my car is in sprt/manual the paddle shifts stay in gear that you select and if I stay in auto an depress the button and then actuate the paddles they only go into manual for a short time. If i go manual and depress sport I can feel the car to be a little more aggressive.
Hey Tony, if I'm not mistaken the tune you are running will also change the feel of the car since you are getting up to speed quicker then most.
Old 05-13-2013, 05:57 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

Originally Posted by Booyaazaa
Hey Tony, if I'm not mistaken the tune you are running will also change the feel of the car since you are getting up to speed quicker then most.
Yes I am sure it does. I too wondered about the actual difference between the two modes. Maybe in the next days ill dig through my manual to see if there is any info there.
Old 05-13-2013, 06:20 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: Alpine E60, '09 535i-Premium, Sport and Comfort Access PackageMods: Lux H8 V3 Angel Eyes, Weisslicht LED license plate lights, Interior LED lights, RPI Scoop, Matte Black Grills, Smoked LED side markers & side reflectors, 35% tint all around, and a 3

Originally Posted by tonyb635
Yes I am sure it does. I too wondered about the actual difference between the two modes. Maybe in the next days ill dig through my manual to see if there is any info there.
Yeah that is why I am holding off on doing the sport mode mod that is floating around on the forum. I don't know if it is worth messing around with the factory wiring since I am under warranty still.
Old 05-14-2013, 02:01 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Booyaazaa
Yeah that is why I am holding off on doing the sport mode mod that is floating around on the forum. I don't know if it is worth messing around with the factory wiring since I am under warranty still.
Well, I don't blame you. I have read that some have felt a notable difference in the sport mod. I personally didn't feel a difference unless I selected both.
Old 05-14-2013, 12:59 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: Alpine White 2010 535 M-Sport

Ive looked this up before. The manual says when activating the sports transmission (DS).."This position is recommended for a performance-oriented driving style". Additional info about manual shift etc...

The sport button activates Dynamic Driving Control. "The Dynamic Driving Control makes it possible for your BMW to react in an even more performance-oriented manner at the push of a button: The speed range of the engine is optimally utilized., Gearshifts are faster., The engine responds more spontaneously to accelerator pedal movements., The steering will operate in an even sportier mode., In the automatic mode, the 6th gear is not engaged."

My interpretation is that DS will only change shift times, but the sport button activates the dynamic driving control which should be noticeable. This is what I have noticed with my 2010 535 m-sport.

When in doubt, press the button and put it in DS...
Old 05-14-2013, 01:00 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: Alpine White 2010 535 M-Sport

This info can be found on page 67 of the 2009 e60 manual.
Old 05-14-2013, 07:46 PM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by plowery21
Ive looked this up before. The manual says when activating the sports transmission (DS).."This position is recommended for a performance-oriented driving style". Additional info about manual shift etc...

The sport button activates Dynamic Driving Control. "The Dynamic Driving Control makes it possible for your BMW to react in an even more performance-oriented manner at the push of a button: The speed range of the engine is optimally utilized., Gearshifts are faster., The engine responds more spontaneously to accelerator pedal movements., The steering will operate in an even sportier mode., In the automatic mode, the 6th gear is not engaged."

My interpretation is that DS will only change shift times, but the sport button activates the dynamic driving control which should be noticeable. This is what I have noticed with my 2010 535 m-sport.

When in doubt, press the button and put it in DS...
I guess for me the only thing in that list that would even peak my interest in doing this is the faster gear shifts, however it needs to be noticeable. The map I'm running along with DS mode gives me pretty much everything but the gear shifting and the sportier steering. I guess if you aren't running a tune of some type having the Sport button activated makes a big difference.

Quick Reply: Two sport mode activations...???