E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

two bent rims

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2007, 11:28 PM
PSB
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently got an allingment and balancing done .. the guy working there told me I have two bent rims (although i never really felt it )
he said the best option i have now if i dont want to repair or buy new ones is to put these two bent rims in the rear.. since then the viberation is driving me insane .. so my question is should i try to repair them or go ahead n buy new 2 new rims . i dont want to waist money on tryin to repair it with no real result
So for anyone who was gotten the rims repaired .. does it really work ?
Old 12-18-2007, 01:33 AM
Contributors

Just to check - you never really felt any problem, then you had alignment and balancing done, and now its driving you insane. Are you sure they didn't bend them? If you never felt a problem, what led you to get the alignment and balancing done?

If they recommend fitting them to the rear, then go ahead and try that first as it's free.

Regarding having a repair done, well I guess it depends how bad they are, and what the cost to repair them would be. Surely if you take them to be repaired, the shop would either say "sorry, we can't fix those" and charge you $0, or fix them and charge you. If they fix them and charge you and they are still bent, get a refund ... !

Sounds to me like a three stage plan, 1) switch to rear, 2) go for repair, 3) replace ... start at number 1 and work you way along!
Old 12-18-2007, 01:53 AM
PSB
Members

Originally Posted by Russ1974' post='508039' date='Dec 18 2007, 05:33 AM
Just to check - you never really felt any problem, then you had alignment and balancing done, and now its driving you insane. Are you sure they didn't bend them? If you never felt a problem, what led you to get the alignment and balancing done?

If they recommend fitting them to the rear, then go ahead and try that first as it's free.

Regarding having a repair done, well I guess it depends how bad they are, and what the cost to repair them would be. Surely if you take them to be repaired, the shop would either say "sorry, we can't fix those" and charge you $0, or fix them and charge you. If they fix them and charge you and they are still bent, get a refund ... !

Sounds to me like a three stage plan, 1) switch to rear, 2) go for repair, 3) replace ... start at number 1 and work you way along!
the car started pulling towards the right so i took the car in for allignment and balacing .. they said i had 2 bent rims and switched it to the back ..
now i wanna know if i repair them will i still be able to feel the the diff compare to a new OEM rim or will they feel good as new ??
Old 12-18-2007, 02:16 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by PSB' post='508044' date='Dec 18 2007, 04:53 AM
the car started pulling towards the right so i took the car in for allignment and balacing .. they said i had 2 bent rims and switched it to the back ..
now i wanna know if i repair them will i still be able to feel the the diff compare to a new OEM rim or will they feel good as new ??
Are they OEM rims?

It really depends on the extent of the damage and the quality of the shop that does the work. I would assume they work on a "no fix no fee" policy, so that if they cannot repair them you would not pay.
Old 12-18-2007, 04:59 PM
Contributors

Ok, I have to ask the obvious question. How do you get "two" bent rims?
That is a bit of a coincidence... Must be on the same side, and you must have hit something with both wheels.

If your rims are bent, I would just go with new OEMs or a used set of OEMs on Ebay.

What kind of wheels do you have?

You will never be able to reshape bent rims to their exact OEM specs, and the vibration may return.

I find that used OEMs can be pretty cheap, especially if someone is upgrading their wheels/tires.