E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Turn Signals

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2005, 05:56 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by GB525dTour' date='May 12 2005, 05:47 AM
I agree though - a way of varying the number of blinks would be useful, so we can adapt to differing traffic conditions - depending on speed, heavy traffic etc.
They have the tech & knowhow already - viz. the winscreen wiper sensitivity adjustment - this could be adapted to the indicator stalk.
[snapback]127430[/snapback]
It makes way more sense to have the adjustment in iDrive on the same screen where you activate/deactivate the triple blink. It's one of those "set and forget" adjustments that makes iDrive so useful. In addition, it's far more simple and less expensive to implement.

We've asked BMW for this enhancement a long time ago. There's no reason why they shouldn't add it in the future...
Old 05-12-2005, 06:46 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Originally Posted by Rudy' date='May 12 2005, 08:56 AM
[quote name='GB525dTour' date='May 12 2005, 05:47 AM']I agree though - a way of varying the number of blinks would be useful, so we can adapt to differing traffic conditions - depending on speed, heavy traffic etc.
They have the tech & knowhow already - viz. the winscreen wiper sensitivity adjustment - this could be adapted to the indicator stalk.
[snapback]127430[/snapback]
It makes way more sense to have the adjustment in iDrive on the same screen where you activate/deactivate the triple blink. It's one of those "set and forget" adjustments that makes iDrive so useful. In addition, it's far more simple and less expensive to implement.

We've asked BMW for this enhancement a long time ago. There's no reason why they shouldn't add it in the future...
[snapback]127502[/snapback]
[/quote]

Perhaps, but I think 3 is more than ample. My philosophy about turn signal usage is that it's an absolute travesty to use them as a way of asking, "will you let me in". I only use them once I already have my spot picked out and have the room for a lane change - this always means 3 blinks is more than ample.
Old 05-12-2005, 06:52 AM
Super Moderator

So you can keep yours set to three. I don't want more blinks so I can "ask permission" but sometimes, especially on the highway, I feel that three isn't enough.

It takes at least two blinks just to wake up some of the drivers on US highways!
Old 05-12-2005, 06:58 AM
Contributors

You know, if we're going to bother modifying I-Drive to allow selecting the 'number of blinks', maybe we should go a little further. I'm thinking that on US cars a "Florida Retiree" option might be useful. If selected the right turn blinker would be permanently on.
Old 05-12-2005, 07:00 AM
Members

My Ride: 535dAT //M

Originally Posted by Rudy' date='May 12 2005, 04:52 PM
So you can keep yours set to three.? I don't want more blinks so I can "ask permission" but sometimes, especially on the highway, I feel that three isn't enough.?

It takes at least two blinks just to wake up some of the drivers on US highways!
[snapback]127529[/snapback]

Oh I have so little to do at work.....

So I make comments here instead!
I agree, I really like the three blink just for overtaking on the high way. You don?t want to turn it of when you drive straight ahead on the high way and one flash isn't enough!

As Rudy says, you need to catch the attention.
Old 05-12-2005, 07:14 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535d Sport in Carbon Black / high gloss shadow line and beige leather / dark poplar with professional nav, bluetooth phone prep, CD changer, bi-xenon adaptive headlamps, servotronic steering, folding mirrors, heated comfort seats, TV, extended voice control and Logic 7 hifi.

If you want more than 3, just hold the stalk at the first resistance point - there, as many as you want, totally variable, totally under your control, and no need to go into iDrive when you decide that in 5 seconds time you're going to want 8 not 7 flashes
Old 05-12-2005, 07:17 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: MY05 545i Jet Black with Auburn interior. SMG, Logic7, Sport Package, Comfort Seats, Navigation.

My problem with the turn stalk is entirely different than all yours.

It seems that the detent of left blinker is much looser than the right. It is very hard to press the stalk down just right without going into permanent blinking. On the other hand, I oftenly had to press up more than once and hard to activate the right blinker past the detent.

I checked the stalks operation with my right hand (car parked) and it definitely feels looser going down than up. Similarly, my right hand SMG paddle has broken in due to usage, but my left paddle is still firm and feels brand new.

Maybe I make much more left turns than right without knowing
Old 05-12-2005, 07:43 AM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

Originally Posted by Magneto' date='May 12 2005, 07:58 AM
You know, if we're going to bother modifying I-Drive to allow selecting the 'number of blinks', maybe we should go a little further.? I'm thinking that on US cars a "Florida Retiree" option might be useful.? If selected the right turn blinker would be permanently on.?
[snapback]127533[/snapback]

I lived in Ft. Lauderdale years ago. Lots of crazy drivers--between the retirees and the drunk/lost tourists...
Old 05-12-2005, 07:46 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by clived' date='May 12 2005, 11:14 AM
If you want more than 3, just hold the stalk at the first resistance point - there, as many as you want, totally variable, totally under your control, and no need to go into iDrive when you decide that in 5 seconds time you're going to want 8 not 7 flashes
[snapback]127541[/snapback]
Well that's what I do now when I want more than three.

Clearly, I'm not talking about having an iDrive setting that you constantly adjust. It would be a "set and forget" type of adjustment based on personal preference. I'd set it to four or five and leave it. If I want more, I'd hold the stalk. I'd rarely want less but if I did, I'd cancel it when I needed to...
Old 05-12-2005, 07:49 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550i Space Gray

AGAIN...this site validates my sanity......i thought i was the only one....the first week was horrible....trying to the get the blinker mastered....i finally found on my own, that if fully engaged to the left or right, to cancel push back in the SAME direction as it is blinking...(as rudy mentioned above)....rather than trying to turn it off the "old" way by going in the opposite direction......only to have it now blinking in the other direction...i kid not.....one time it was left, right, left, right, left before i actually got it to stop blinking.....i can only imagine what the people behind me thought......

Quick Reply: Turn Signals