E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Turbo in winter

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 07:53 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Retired 2008 535i Titanium-silver with sport, premium, steptronic, NAV, HUD Retired 2006 525i

How much noticible is the performance gain with turbos in winters?
Thanks.
Old 08-06-2007, 09:42 PM
Senior Members

What is the basis of this question? Is it colder denser air or is it the cooler air which will keep the engine temp lower? Remember, as the the air gets colder the density increases. This is good for O2 in the engine but is bad for Drag on the car because there is more air to push trough. From my past track experience, the cooler temps do help some but I am pretty sure that your not going to feel like your car is getting faster because the gains are very minute if your not on running against the timer
Old 08-07-2007, 03:47 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 525d M-Sport Saloon M57N2 3.0d LCI EXTERIOR: Jet Black, ///M-Aerodynamic Bodystyling, ///M-Rear Spoiler, De-badged, Gradual Tint Windscreen, ///M-Double Spoke 172M 19" Alloy Wheels (with non-run flats & space saver spare wheel) & ///M-Sports Suspension; INTERIOR: ///M-Steering Wheel, Black Dakota Leather Heated Sports Seats with Electric Lumbar Supports, Brushed Aluminium Interior Trim & Anthracite Headlining.

Originally Posted by juventus' post='455810' date='Aug 6 2007, 04:53 PM
How much noticible is the performance gain with turbos in winters?
Thanks.
My main experiences of Turbo engines in the past have been on a modified Subaru Impreza. When driving in the winter months I could definitely 'feel' a difference in engine response - it felt much crisper and had a more 'instant' throttle response. That said I'm not sure it was dramatically quicker, but certainly noticeable. This is obviously due to the colder denser air being channeled through the Intercooler.

One thing that was more noticeable however, was on a very hot summers day (especially after a period of queuing in traffic) the car felt considerably down on power and lacked throttle response, until it had been running with cool air going through the Intercooler again for a few miles. That said the Impreza uses a Top Mount Intercooler which is not mounted in the optimum position (in attempts to reduce Turbo lag) and is known to suffer from heat soak, something that shouldn't affect cars with Front Mounts like the BMW.

In summary, in winter months you should be able to feel a small difference.
Old 08-07-2007, 06:51 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E46 330, E60 550 on order: Carbon Black/Natural Brown, 6MT.

Originally Posted by Palmo' post='456116' date='Aug 7 2007, 07:47 AM
My main experiences of Turbo engines in the past have been on a modified Subaru Impreza. When driving in the winter months I could definitely 'feel' a difference in engine response - it felt much crisper and had a more 'instant' throttle response. That said I'm not sure it was dramatically quicker, but certainly noticeable. This is obviously due to the colder denser air being channeled through the Intercooler.

One thing that was more noticeable however, was on a very hot summers day (especially after a period of queuing in traffic) the car felt considerably down on power and lacked throttle response, until it had been running with cool air going through the Intercooler again for a few miles. That said the Impreza uses a Top Mount Intercooler which is not mounted in the optimum position (in attempts to reduce Turbo lag) and is known to suffer from heat soak, something that shouldn't affect cars with Front Mounts like the BMW.

In summary, in winter months you should be able to feel a small difference.
This behavior is by no means unique to turbo motors.
Old 08-07-2007, 03:59 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545, nav, sport, PP, cold weather

i've had several turbo in seatle and have had no drivability issues. i did always run a pint of riselone in the oil.