E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Turbo control failure? (2006 530d)

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2012, 07:25 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo control failure? (2006 530d)

Hi all, just recently I've had a large number of dents paintlessly repaired (hailstorm damage). The guy who did it had a fitter remove the head lining for the roof and of course the battery was disconnected.. for how long I don't know. Since picking the car up after the repair it is lacking in power when I put my foot down. It drives perfectly normal if I don't ask for the extra power I usually get when flooring it.

I gave BMW a ring to ask if disconnecting the battery could cause a problem like this, the guy said if it was a black battery I may need some re-programming, if it's a white one they are usually just plug and play... mine is a white one.

I've searched the forum and many others on the off chance somebody else has had a similar problem; lack of power but no obvious turbo failure, i.e. white smoke / strange noises. I've read plenty of threads on turbo failure but none on turbo control failure. I have posted this in a UK forum and another 5 series owner said he had the exact same problem when his battery was disconnected but his power came back after driving the car for 60 miles or so. Mines been driven for around 300 miles since but still no improvement.

On the way to work last night I videoed and uploaded to YT what happens:

I'm open to suggestions and advice before being fleeced by the main dealers. Any advice or info' greatly appreciated.
Old 10-15-2012, 03:59 PM
Contributors

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: BMW
Model Year: 2006

Hmmm...I'm not a mechanic, but it seems more like a transmission problem since the engine is behaving (RPM going up) but the car is not moving any faster. Again...I'm not a mechanic so...
Old 10-15-2012, 04:10 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550i sport package

I agree with balbs
Old 10-15-2012, 10:20 PM
Members

Well for the sake of my wallet I'm hoping that's not the case.

Car is booked in for checking tomorrow at a recommended independent BMW garage. I'll report back.
Old 10-16-2012, 02:23 PM
Contributors

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: BMW
Model Year: 2006

Any news???
Old 10-16-2012, 11:01 PM
Members

Car is booked in this morning at 09:00 GMT. I'll report back later.
Old 10-17-2012, 12:01 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: Bmw 530d 2004

Could be because of clogged dpf. A clogged dpf error can make the ecu to restrict the power of the turbo.
Old 10-17-2012, 01:30 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 530d

Originally Posted by balbs
Hmmm...I'm not a mechanic, but it seems more like a transmission problem since the engine is behaving (RPM going up) but the car is not moving any faster. Again...I'm not a mechanic so...

I don't agree with this. It's either dpf, turbo or MAF.

Thermostats can easily wear out, which blocks up the dpf. So check your operating temps
Old 10-17-2012, 06:50 AM
Members

Just got a call from the garage, he said the turbo unit electronics is intermittently faulty... but I've not experienced "intermittent" power failure ??? more total power failure. But then again I don't know how it all works. He reckons you can't buy the electronic part separately, it's all part of the unit. He also said the bad news is (if that wasn't bad enough!) the main dealer will want £1200 + 20% tax but he can get it for £900 + 20%. Oh, and I'll need an oil change as well because the oil runs through the turbo.

Just about to set off and pick the car up, (I haven't got that kind of cash at the moment) I'll find out more shortly.
Old 10-17-2012, 11:47 AM
Members

Well he says it's definitely the turbo actuator, (electronic type). I've just found out that they are on ebay for £179.99 (used of course).

Worth taking a chance on methinks

Quick Reply: Turbo control failure? (2006 530d)