E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

tuning

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2005, 08:42 AM
abs
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have a 530d 2004 model and looking to have it tuned by a company in the UK called upsolute.com. they claim to increase bhp to 248bhp with a 10% saving on fuel economy for ?305 all inc.

any one heard of this company. has anyone tuned there e60, and finally is there is chance of damage to the engine.

your input would be welcome
Old 12-04-2005, 09:16 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by abs' post='207023' date='Dec 4 2005, 12:42 PM
i have a 530d 2004 model and looking to have it tuned by a company in the UK called upsolute.com. they claim to increase bhp to 248bhp with a 10% saving on fuel economy for ?305 all inc.

any one heard of this company. has anyone tuned there e60, and finally is there is chance of damage to the engine.

your input would be welcome
I have heard good reports on the company. Do a search on the Company's name in the "Parts, Accessories, and Mods" discussion. You mght want to develop a somewhat skeptical attitude on what after marketeers claim, but their claims usually have some foundation in fact.
Old 12-04-2005, 09:18 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 BMW 530I steptronic, Orient Blue, Dakota Black Leather, Finishers Aluminium with Wave Cutting interior, NAVIgation, Radio PROFESSIONAL, CD in-dash, Hi-Fi extended sound system, PDC system, Bi-Xenons lights with washers, cruise-control, heated seats, Extended AC, auto"shade" mirrors, auto lights sensors, rain/wiper sensor, M-tech leather multifunction steering wheel, side airbags rearseats, sliding armrest, smoker's package (I don't smoke!), velour floor mats, spare wheel and jack, 122 style rims winter setup, M135 style rims summer setup [color=red]Mods:[/color] [color=blue]M tech sport steering wheel with M5 SMG paddles working retrofit done ! Trunk lid opening button retrofit done.[/color] [color=blue]3M window 35% tint done Chrome grilles E60.net Clings [/color]

the bottom line is that with chip tuned engine there is 50-50 chance of the engine or most definitely turbo damage. It is not a questoin how but when. That is it. If you lease the car and will be putting it away in less then 3 years time go for it. If you pay your hard earned money and want to keep your car for a few year and planning on driving over 100k km (mls) be sure that the chip will lower the engine life time a lot.
As I say chip tuning will increase your engine output a little and the car will drive fine. it may blow the turbo in a year, in a day, never, in a half of year.... who knows But again if you do not drive long trips everyday and turn like 50k (mls) a year should be ok. But if the "surgery" is there, it is there....
Old 12-04-2005, 09:34 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by Peter530i' post='207036' date='Dec 4 2005, 01:18 PM
the bottom line is that with chip tuned engine there is 50-50 chance of the engine or most definitely turbo damage. It is not a questoin how but when. That is it. If you lease the car and will be putting it away in less then 3 years time go for it. If you pay your hard earned money and want to keep your car for a few year and planning on driving over 100k km (mls) be sure that the chip will lower the engine life time a lot.
As I say chip tuning will increase your engine output a little and the car will drive fine. it may blow the turbo in a year, in a day, never, in a half of year.... who knows But again if you do not drive long trips everyday and turn like 50k (mls) a year should be ok. But if the "surgery" is there, it is there....
No doubt about it, assuming the tuning turns up the boost significantly, engine longeviety can be affected. Does the turning of the d turn up its boost?
Old 12-04-2005, 09:37 AM
abs
Members

i only do around 12 miles a year so i hope that wont be a problem
Old 12-04-2005, 09:39 AM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

Originally Posted by vnod' post='207047
No doubt about it, assuming the tuning turns up the boost significantly, engine longeviety can be affected. Does the turning of the d turn up its boost?
[/quote]

Yes--that's the reason tuning a normally aspirated engine yields a much lower power increase % than turbos.
Old 12-04-2005, 10:16 AM
Senior Members

Kinda agree with that, except the first 2 sentences. Of course it MIGHT lower your turbo life a little bit, dunno if that much about the engine though. I mean it all depends on ALOT of factors like driving style and so on...but yes statisticaly it lowers the turbo life a bit. Let's not get drastic now, nothing will happen noticeably unless u track your car daily or u're a heavy footed,like, all the time. What could one say about a tricked out subaru sti? A super modded supra turbo that puts out around 700-800bhp lasts only 1000km? of course not....
" the chip will lower the engine life time a lot" Yeah and if you really go with the engine tuning you will ruin you engine in 1000km. Don't wanna know what's the lifetime of the evo fq 400!!!! Like2 days...
"it may blow the turbo in a year, in a day, never, in a half of year.... who knows "
Also i don't think there are too many cases that lost the turbo after a day, or a week, or a month, or even a year. If so those were very rarely cases...like a 0,001% chance of that to happen to you. There is a risk in eveything after all, so of course as soon as u start modding your bmw you assume that risc.
Old 12-04-2005, 10:28 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by stream' post='207052
Yes--that's the reason tuning a normally aspirated engine yields a much lower power increase % than turbos.
[/quote]Yep, what is the actual increase on the d?
Old 12-04-2005, 11:16 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by abs' post='207049' date='Dec 4 2005, 06:37 PM
i only do around 12 miles a year so i hope that wont be a problem
Just 12 miles? Wow!
Old 12-04-2005, 12:11 PM
abs
Members

u guys are actually feakin me out. im having doubts about the chipping

Quick Reply: tuning