E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Trunk won’t open (electronically)

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2018, 06:50 AM
New Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60 535i M-Sport / FBO + Meth
Model Year: 2010
Engine: N54
Default Trunk won’t open (electronically)

Hi all.

My trunk stopped opening. Not through any other means other than mechanically using the key in the slot and turning; that is the ONLY way it will open. I.e., not via the trunk switch at the trunk, nor via the key fob, nor via the remote release button near driver’s foot rest.

When I do try any of those methods, or even once I do open it via turning the key, you can hear the motor above the latch “whining” this high-pitched sound. Like it’s trying but can’t.

I tried swapping out trunk switches (at trunk) but it didn’t help. Same same.

Anyone ever hear of this before?

Thanks,
// Radar //
Old 10-20-2018, 07:36 AM
New Members

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
My Ride: 535xi
Model Year: 2008

Since you say you can hear "whirring", I'd say the wiring at the trunk hinge is OK. But, have you looked at it for breaks?

Have you tried latching the lock with the trunk open and then see if it'll unlatch? You can simulate closing it by pressing a thin screwdriver into the latch.
Old 10-25-2018, 05:03 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by audiophool
Since you say you can hear "whirring", I'd say the wiring at the trunk hinge is OK. But, have you looked at it for breaks?

Have you tried latching the lock with the trunk open and then see if it'll unlatch? You can simulate closing it by pressing a thin screwdriver into the latch.
Well, I have not yet removed all of the trunk lid lining to do a thorough inspection of the system. (I started to then had to stop and get ready for,work, then I went on vacation last week)

The only way I can get it to close, and not bounce off the latch when shutting is to use the key to simulate it latching** while it’s open, then use the trunk switch (on the lid) to get it to “reset” to where it will then finally latch when shut. However this seems to be taking more and more attempts to be successful. Took about 25 minutes to be successful after returning from vacation to get trunk to finally latch.

The emergency trunk release “pull tab” seems to be immovable as well, so maybe it’s bound up somewhere in the trunk lid.

Going to go deeper into it this morning.

Thanks for your interest!

P.s.
**When I simulate latching it using the key, it doesn’t stay latched, it returns to the “ready to be latched” position.

Last edited by radarcontact; 10-25-2018 at 05:05 AM.
Old 10-25-2018, 05:49 AM
New Members

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i, premium package, 6sp manual, cold package, navigation package.
Model Year: 2005
Engine: N62

Originally Posted by radarcontact

Well, I have not yet removed all of the trunk lid lining to do a thorough inspection of the system. (I started to then had to stop and get ready for,work, then I went on vacation last week)

The only way I can get it to close, and not bounce off the latch when shutting is to use the key to simulate it latching** while it’s open, then use the trunk switch (on the lid) to get it to “reset” to where it will then finally latch when shut. However this seems to be taking more and more attempts to be successful. Took about 25 minutes to be successful after returning from vacation to get trunk to finally latch.

The emergency trunk release “pull tab” seems to be immovable as well, so maybe it’s bound up somewhere in the trunk lid.

Going to go deeper into it this morning.

Thanks for your interest!

P.s.
**When I simulate latching it using the key, it doesn’t stay latched, it returns to the “ready to be latched” position.
Sounds like one or more wires in the trunk lid are broken or frayed. The break is probably intermittent. The wires can be seen at the right hand side trunk hinges. You will need to remove some the trunk lining to access. The brown wire is most likely the culprit - the main power wire.
Old 10-25-2018, 08:05 AM
New Members

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
My Ride: 535xi
Model Year: 2008

Based on your update, I'd take the latch off the trunk lid and check for broken springs or rust. When the trunk is open, you should be able to "trip" the latch by pressing on it the way it interacts with the stationary part near the bumper.
Old 10-25-2018, 08:25 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by audiophool
Based on your update, I'd take the latch off the trunk lid and check for broken springs or rust. When the trunk is open, you should be able to "trip" the latch by pressing on it the way it interacts with the stationary part near the bumper.
Yeah, I thought that if I manually rotated that catch it would stay closed but it doesn’t… It just rolls back to the open position.
Old 10-25-2018, 07:41 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2005 545i, premium package, 6sp manual, cold package, navigation package.

Yeah, I thought that if I manually rotated that catch it would stay closed but it doesn’t… It just rolls back to the open position.
Probably because there is no power to the latch. Apparently a spring keeps it in the open (unlatched) position and an electric selenoid keeps it closed. I had almost exactly the same symptoms and it turned out to be the wires to the latch.
Old 10-26-2018, 05:18 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by FormerE30Owner
Probably because there is no power to the latch. Apparently a spring keeps it in the open (unlatched) position and an electric selenoid keeps it closed. I had almost exactly the same symptoms and it turned out to be the wires to the latch.
Okay, cool. Thanks!
It rained yesterday so I couldn’t explore, but this afternoon is supposed to be clear.

I’ll post my findings for future searchers!
Old 10-26-2018, 10:10 AM
New Members

Everything disassembled.

trunk cables were crossed, preventing emergency cable to work and latch from latching closed, fixed that by simply flipping them. Now latch, when tripped, stays tripped in closed/shut position.

trunk still doesn’t operate electronically though. Whining Sound was coming from trunk light, and led replacement I have had in there for a year or more. Disconnected that and whining stopped, but trunk still non-operational.

checked fuses 55 & 61, both good.

scratching my head... ??
Old 10-26-2018, 08:27 PM
New Members

Everything disassembled.

trunk cables were crossed, preventing emergency cable to work and latch from latching closed, fixed that by simply flipping them. Now latch, when tripped, stays tripped in closed/shut position.

trunk still doesn’t operate electronically though. Whining Sound was coming from trunk light, and led replacement I have had in there for a year or more. Disconnected that and whining stopped, but trunk still non-operational.

checked fuses 55 & 61, both good.

scratching my head... ??
Have you checked the wires running through the pipe serving as the passenger side trunk hinge? You must remove some of the trunk lining to expose the wires. The wires tend to fray and break due to the continuous bending and unbending.

Quick Reply: Trunk won’t open (electronically)