E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Trunk

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2005, 08:13 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 05 530 Jet Black, Black Int., Nav, Sat, Comfort Seats, Xenon.

just picked up my 05 530 (jet black, nav/sat) and when I got home I realized my trunk does not open with the remote button. Any idea why this would happen? Programing?

Also, when I open the trunk, it opens very fast and requires a lot of pressure to close. Does it need adjustment, is this normal?

Thanks

gary
Old 02-27-2005, 08:20 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2001 BMW330ci, Steel Gray, Black leather, Steptronic, PP, SP, PDC, Heated seats, Xenon head lights, HK, 6 disk changer, OEM alarm, OEM clears,Iice white fog lights ,Universal trasnciver, 17 inch Michelin Pilot Sport Tires 2005 530i Titanium Gray,Black leather, Nav.,HUD,PP,CWP,SP,PDC,Xenon lights,Steptronic,Logic 7 sound system,,Fold down read seats,Power shades ON ORDER

[quote name='genaman' date='Feb 27 2005, 12:13 PM']
just picked up my 05 530 (jet black, nav/sat) and when I got home I realized my trunk does not open with the remote button. Any idea why this would happen? Programing?

Also, when I open the trunk, it opens very fast and requires a lot of pressure to close. Does it need adjustment, is this normal?

Thanks

gary
[snapback]94942[/snapback]
[/quote
If you lock the car with the remote and then press the trunk button it will open for you.
Its normal that it opens up fast and needs alot of pressure to close.
vern
PS I felt the same way when I took delivery last week on my 530i
Enjoy
Old 02-27-2005, 08:27 AM
Senior Members

This sounds normal. To open the trunk, just press the button under the trunk lid, and step back. The trunk lid will come up pretty quickly, but after you've gotten used to it, it is a very nice feature. You don't have to use an extra hand to raise the lid because the hydraulic cartridges have worn (a problem I've had on every other car I've owned). To close, you do need to slam it pretty forcefully, but I've gotten used to it. Now that I'm used to it, it's not a problem.
Old 02-27-2005, 08:38 AM
JDN
Contributors

There is a technique to opening the trunk with the remote. It is not an instant release as it was with the E39. Hold for a "one thousand and one" count and release. That should do it. If you hold it too much longer, the remote will activate the alarm system which can easily be silenced with any button on the remote.
Old 02-27-2005, 08:39 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

The trunk should open with the remote (on the key) whether or not the car is locked.

There's an art to getting the remote to open the trunk. You have to press and hold it for about a second (count "one one-thousand") and it should open. In the US, if you hold the button down too long, you'll set off the panic feature of the alarm system. (You can search the forum with the word "panic" and you'll probably come up with the details.)

One thing I've been wondering about lately is whether or not BMW adjusted the sensitivity of the panic alarm threshold. Since my latest software upgrade (13.2), I haven't set off the panic. It could be that they fixed the timing or it could be that I'm just "programmed" to press it just right.
Old 02-27-2005, 08:40 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

JDN, you beat me -- is it me or has the newer software fixed the panic bug?
Old 02-27-2005, 09:04 AM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

Originally Posted by Rudy' date='Feb 27 2005, 09:39 AM
There's an art to getting the remote to open the trunk.? You have to press and hold it for about a second (count "one one-thousand") and it should open.? In the US, if you hold the button down too long, you'll set off the panic feature of the alarm system.
[snapback]94952[/snapback]
I found this out the hard way the first day I had my car. :'( Unfortunately, my son was standing right next to the car, and got quite the scare!
Old 02-27-2005, 09:10 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by genaman' date='Feb 27 2005, 01:13 PM
just picked up my 05 530 (jet black, nav/sat)? and when I got home I realized my trunk does not open with the remote button.? Any idea why this would happen?? Programing?

Also, when I open the trunk, it opens very fast and requires a lot of pressure to close.? Does it need adjustment, is this normal?

Thanks

gary
[snapback]94942[/snapback]
have 2005 530i for one week. Yes the trunk opens fast (keep face out of way) and needs alot of pressure to close, unlike my wifes 325i convertable
Old 02-27-2005, 09:39 AM
JDN
Contributors

Originally Posted by Rudy' date='Feb 27 2005, 11:40 AM
JDN, you beat me -- is it me or has the newer software fixed the panic bug?
[snapback]94953[/snapback]
Not sure, Rudy, but for some reason I haven't set off the panic alarm in a long time -- only two incidences since I've owned the car.

You might share with genaman your preferred trunk closing technique, so thoughtfully designed by the Germans.
Old 02-27-2005, 11:48 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by surgeon' date='Feb 27 2005, 10:10 AM
have 2005 530i for one week. Yes the trunk opens fast (keep face out of way) and needs alot of pressure to close, unlike my wifes 325i convertable
[snapback]94963[/snapback]
Ya keep limbs out of the way and keep coffee off the trunk else it will launch it straight over the hood!

Quick Reply: Trunk