E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Is it true mp3 activation for 2004 cars fries TCU?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2006, 02:33 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I remember reading in previous posts that dealers don't want to activate mp3 on 2003 or 2004 cars because it would have great chance of frying the TCU... causing it to not show warnings if there are problems that arise in the car. How would we know if there is any faults on the TCU? I am kind of worried about my driving if there is something being fried in there... besides the KFC I sometimes eat inside on breaks....

thanks guys!! hope you guys had a nice Easter too!!
Old 04-19-2006, 04:45 AM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

MY04, MY05 and even MY06s have had TCU fried with CIP (now PROGMAN) updates of recent vintage. Not specific to MP3 issue. My SA claims only 1 in 6 survives. It is such a problem that a PuMA case is required before a dealer is authorized to replace. The easiest test is the BMW assist, making sure it works. Can also effect Bluetooth, but some have skated by only to find out later that Assist does not work. It is part of the checkout procedure in post PROGMAN update process to test BMW assist.

I used to KFC in my previous cars but with the advent of iDrive and the MOST bus have avoided it for the same reasons, not wanting to FRY the electronics
Old 04-19-2006, 04:47 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 BMW 530I steptronic, Orient Blue, Dakota Black Leather, Finishers Aluminium with Wave Cutting interior, NAVIgation, Radio PROFESSIONAL, CD in-dash, Hi-Fi extended sound system, PDC system, Bi-Xenons lights with washers, cruise-control, heated seats, Extended AC, auto"shade" mirrors, auto lights sensors, rain/wiper sensor, M-tech leather multifunction steering wheel, side airbags rearseats, sliding armrest, smoker's package (I don't smoke!), velour floor mats, spare wheel and jack, 122 style rims winter setup, M135 style rims summer setup [color=red]Mods:[/color] [color=blue]M tech sport steering wheel with M5 SMG paddles working retrofit done ! Trunk lid opening button retrofit done.[/color] [color=blue]3M window 35% tint done Chrome grilles E60.net Clings [/color]

what is TCU exactly.... is it some sort of communication unit only? is it only in cars with phone, bluetooth or BMW online assist??? I have none of those.... only Navigatoin so do I have the TCU as well??

or is it the actuall cars processor managing all of the software issues?
Old 04-19-2006, 04:53 AM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Originally Posted by Peter530i' post='271080' date='Apr 19 2006, 08:47 AM
what is TCU exactly.... is it some sort of communication unit only? is it only in cars with phone, bluetooth or BMW online assist??? I have none of those.... only Navigatoin so do I have the TCU as well??

or is it the actuall cars processor managing all of the software issues?
Telematics Control Unit located in your trunk. Yes, for Assist and phone communications. Installed in each car regardless of options.
Old 04-19-2006, 10:44 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 BMW 530I steptronic, Orient Blue, Dakota Black Leather, Finishers Aluminium with Wave Cutting interior, NAVIgation, Radio PROFESSIONAL, CD in-dash, Hi-Fi extended sound system, PDC system, Bi-Xenons lights with washers, cruise-control, heated seats, Extended AC, auto"shade" mirrors, auto lights sensors, rain/wiper sensor, M-tech leather multifunction steering wheel, side airbags rearseats, sliding armrest, smoker's package (I don't smoke!), velour floor mats, spare wheel and jack, 122 style rims winter setup, M135 style rims summer setup [color=red]Mods:[/color] [color=blue]M tech sport steering wheel with M5 SMG paddles working retrofit done ! Trunk lid opening button retrofit done.[/color] [color=blue]3M window 35% tint done Chrome grilles E60.net Clings [/color]

Dave are you sure that every car has TCU? Even the most stripped E60?
just curious
Old 04-20-2006, 01:46 AM
Members

Had MP3 enabled with sw ugrade on my september 2003 car without any problems.