E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Is this true?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2005, 08:30 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read this post on bimmerfest by one of the member, and I can't believe that owners would have to pay for a new TCU if something happens to it while software update???

Quick update here -- picked the car up from the dealer today, all is fixed. Apparently, the creaks are known problems ... the i-drive update went just fine. Despite my begging to be able to get TV on NAV, it was not to be.

In an interesting twist, I elected to have the Bluetooth retrofit performed (car is 6/04 build). The dealer charged me $220 for the update, which seemed reasonable. That said, my SA told me: "Every now and then, when we do the update, the TCU melts down. If that happens, it will cost you about $1,900 to get a new TCU. This cost is not covered by BMW. So if you want the update, know that there is a slim chance that it could cost you a few thousand."?

I chose to roll the dice on that one -- I figured that if it the TCU meltdown happened with any meaningful frequency that BMW wouldn't have offered the retrofit. But I was nervous all morning until I got the call.
Old 09-11-2005, 09:03 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jakethesnake' date='Sep 11 2005, 11:30 AM
I read this post on bimmerfest by one of the member, and I can't believe that owners would have to pay for a new TCU if something happens to it while software update???

Quick update here -- picked the car up from the dealer today, all is fixed. Apparently, the creaks are known problems ... the i-drive update went just fine. Despite my begging to be able to get TV on NAV, it was not to be.

In an interesting twist, I elected to have the Bluetooth retrofit performed (car is 6/04 build). The dealer charged me $220 for the update, which seemed reasonable. That said, my SA told me: "Every now and then, when we do the update, the TCU melts down. If that happens, it will cost you about $1,900 to get a new TCU. This cost is not covered by BMW. So if you want the update, know that there is a slim chance that it could cost you a few thousand."?

I chose to roll the dice on that one -- I figured that if it the TCU meltdown happened with any meaningful frequency that BMW wouldn't have offered the retrofit. But I was nervous all morning until I got the call.
[snapback]169436[/snapback]
I don't hink it is ture. at least not in Europe! I would sue thei asses till sky high if smth like this happened. HEY if the car has a problem (not my fault) and it is in the warranty period FIX it ! That's the way to think IMO.