E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Trouble with my 07 530xi - please help

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2016, 01:08 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2007 530xi
Default Trouble with my 07 530xi - please help

Hey guys, I've been having a ton of trouble with my 530xi and was wondering if anyone could lend me some guidance. It is a 2007 and I have 107k on the odd right now, manual transmission.

Under hard acceleration, my car would exhibit a jerking or slipping in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gear. The problem wasn't really bothering me at first, but it eventually worsened. Around the same time, I was receiving an "AWD, DSC, ABS, and EMERG EBV" malfunction appear after driving my vehicle. It would go into a limp mode and I would no longer notice the jerking under acceleration. I had my indy shop look at it, and they concluded I needed to replace my transfer case motor (~1400 with labor). I had it replaced, and the problem was eliminated. Over the next few weeks, the problem developed again. I took it back to the shop, and he told me basically there were no fault codes indicating the transfer case motor was to blame. I had gotten my car back, and within the next 1000 miles I had started getting the same malfunction as before. During this time, my AC compressor went bad. I decided to get that fixed because my indy shop told me that the jerking could be coming from a timing retardation caused from the knock sensors detecting the bad AC compressor (~1100). I got my car back before this weekend, and no longer noticed the jerking under hard acceleration or malfunctions.

I get in my car the morning afterward and as soon as I warm it up and start moving, I hear a terrible grinding sound coming from the front right side of the vehicle. I drove a couple more feet, and the noise suddenly stopped. At this time, iDrive had displayed the same malfunction.

Last fall my trunk had opened overnight during a rainstorm, flooding my trunk. I had the electrical unit replaced an retrofitted to the inside of my cabin, as I've heard that the rain drains can become blocked and allow water to ingress into trunk. Not sure if that could be linked to any of this. However, I really am at quite a loss with all of the repairs, and am not entirely sure if trying to fix this vehicle is a viable option. I came here to see if anyone could potentially point me in the right direction if they have experienced similar issues.

EDIT: My mechanic thought a potential issue would be from me increasing my wheel size from stock (225/50/17) to 245/40/18. I was planning on changing back to my stock wheels this week; however, I've actually noticed that the malfunction will occur if you are idling in neutral and you raise the RPM's past 1.5k. So that indicates to me (not a mechanic) that changing the wheel size couldn't be causing this malfunction.

Best,
Sean

Last edited by smf78; 12-26-2016 at 01:29 PM.