E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Transmission&Will not start

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2016, 10:53 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 545i
Default Transmission&Will not start

Hi new here 2005 545i the other week I went to start my car and Up came all these errors "gear can be engaged without depressing the brake" DTC, ABS. Now it will not start either no crank no noise no nothing took it to my mechanic he found nothing recently put new solenoids in and fluid about 5 months ago because it was stuck in third gear got that fixed now this HELP!!!!!!!!!?????????
Old 03-05-2016, 08:27 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: BMW 550I BLK
Model Year: 2007
Engine: N62

Originally Posted by The flossy 545i
Hi new here 2005 545i the other week I went to start my car and Up came all these errors "gear can be engaged without depressing the brake" DTC, ABS. Now it will not start either no crank no noise no nothing took it to my mechanic he found nothing recently put new solenoids in and fluid about 5 months ago because it was stuck in third gear got that fixed now this HELP!!!!!!!!!?????????
What are the error codes?????
Old 03-05-2016, 08:58 PM
New Members

My Ride: 545i

Originally Posted by star69me
What are the error codes?????
There are not any codes car will not give any.
Old 03-05-2016, 09:36 PM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by The flossy 545i
There are not any codes car will not give any.
I was having a some of the same issues in my 2007 550i v8's of course. Bmw named everything in the book from battery to shifter issues to selanoid to camshaft sensors and vanos. It turned out being the ivm module it's a lil box with fuses that controls the electricals. Look up the ivm module. On another note I had a 2004 550i that wouldn't start and that turned out to be an overload of coins in the ash tray by the shifter. A coin slid down in. The shifter area and was blocking. Needle nose pliers fixed that.
Old 03-09-2016, 11:39 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2005 545i

Interesting it seems like we are having similar issues. I have a 2005 545i, and I get some of the same errors and an occasional jump into third gear where it wont shift up or down. I will be driving along at 50 and " BLING " I'm in third gear with errors flashing.

But my starting issue comes and goes. It will start fine and then the next time it will just click when i press the brake and turn the key. But give it a few minutes and she'll start again. I am trying to fix the actual issue (perhaps the IVM module?) but try to disconnect your battery and hook it back up, it seems to reset the electronics and she starts fine for a while.
Old 03-09-2016, 12:00 PM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by roster
Interesting it seems like we are having similar issues. I have a 2005 545i, and I get some of the same errors and an occasional jump into third gear where it wont shift up or down. I will be driving along at 50 and " BLING " I'm in third gear with errors flashing.

But my starting issue comes and goes. It will start fine and then the next time it will just click when i press the brake and turn the key. But give it a few minutes and she'll start again. I am trying to fix the actual issue (perhaps the IVM module?) but try to disconnect your battery and hook it back up, it seems to reset the electronics and she starts fine for a while.
Had the same issues in my 07 550i. Did and spent money on this and that and it ended up being the ivm module.. no more issues
Old 03-09-2016, 12:22 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by star69me
Had the same issues in my 07 550i. Did and spent money on this and that and it ended up being the ivm module.. no more issues

Thanks for the word partner! Where did you buy your replacement from?
Old 03-09-2016, 01:21 PM
Members
Senior Members

Thanks for the word partner! Where did you buy your replacement from?
Surprisingly the dealership and it cost $105.00 I thought it would be a crazy price. But after I looked it up you can get them for under a hundred online. Now my steering rack.. it's been bad for a while now. I was gonna get one from the junk yard but you never know if the car was hit from the front. Lots on ebay but I'm gonna get mine from Detroit axel they have them rebuilt. The dealership cost $2200 and I sprung a oil leak, white smoke out of the exhaust when sitting in traffic at idle need a valve stem seals job so I'm gonna get that plus might as well get the seal done at the alternator and buy motor mounts because everything will be out of the bay. Plus my indy guy said if I get the rack and pinion he will toss it in free. He's charging me 3k for the valve stem seals job and he said since he's already gonna be pulling stuff out he will do the rest for $200. Oh the life of a v8 bmw. I've already had to change my radiator fan top hoses and that radiator fluid box. What next????

Last edited by star69me; 03-09-2016 at 01:25 PM.
Old 03-09-2016, 01:42 PM
New Members

How about that. Yea man if this IVM fixes my electronics issue I will feel much better but I have a small coolant leak i need to investigate. My car has 164k miles so I imagine I will have to be replacing some seals and the like soon. I hope to be able to do it myself- does it require taking the engine out completely? Are these sorts of things something I have to worry about before I actually spring an oil leak?

I just want to get this car in shape but so far besides regular maintenance I have only been fixing things retroactively or after a problem presents itself. I am learning as i go

Thanks again!
Old 03-09-2016, 02:48 PM
Members
Senior Members

How about that. Yea man if this IVM fixes my electronics issue I will feel much better but I have a small coolant leak i need to investigate. My car has 164k miles so I imagine I will have to be replacing some seals and the like soon. I hope to be able to do it myself- does it require taking the engine out completely? Are these sorts of things something I have to worry about before I actually spring an oil leak?

I just want to get this car in shape but so far besides regular maintenance I have only been fixing things retroactively or after a problem presents itself. I am learning as i go

Thanks again!
Well my indy guy strips and rebuilds bmw. But I think he is taking my engine out because he is a BMW freak and the dealership sneaks car to his shop also. He feels it its not broke why change out something. I ask what next all the time and he says who knows... I keep asking about the water pump and he says it's fine. Wow I only have 114k on my car. I'm looking for 550 sport bumper or M5 mtech I hear people say. And a exhaust with a lil more growl that the 550 one.

Quick Reply: Transmission&Will not start