E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

TRANSMISSION STUTTER

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 03:30 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550i Space Gray

hello everyone....
i have noticed a situation in my 2005 545, and i am hoing there is someone else out there that might have some insight.
first the background: this 2005 545 is my second one. i first purchased the same car brand new in 2005, upgraded/traded for a 7series after a year, and due to the economy, came back to a used 2005. it's nov 2004 build date. purchaed in nov 2004 by original owener. i am second owner, acquiring the car last november (2007) with 59k miles. it has the pre-certified warranty along with the negotiated add-on to cover maintenance and such up to 100K miles. i noticed within the first month of owning the car that i had the familiar "transmission slam" issue........i was familiar with this from my first 2005 and was under the assumption that new software had supposedly "cured" this issue.....obviously it hasn't?? it doesn't bother me all that much as i think i seem to know how to avoid it...as it seems to only occur in those times of approaching a stop, but not completely stopping all the way...and then hittin' the accelerator it's like the car gets confused and "slams" into gear....it's almost like i have trained myself to avoid this kind of situation......
MY PROBLEM is actually something different...but i am wondering IF related in anyway....
i noticed maybe some months ago....about half a year "with" the car, that the car seemed to "cough" while driving on city streets....for example...driving down a main street/boulevard where traffic is flowing in the 40-55 mph range.....
while driving i noticed as if the transmission would cough/hiccup....stutter.....like for a second it almost stopped....i can't really explain it.....it was enough to feel a "jerking" feeling in the ride...no noises and NO rpm movements.....when it DID happen it would happen for the duration of that "drive" and then seem to stop after the next start/stop trip that i would make. after a few months of it happening say once a week or so.....i was able to isolate the problem....i was able to isolate the problem in the last month and i am 99% positive of my findings....of course this discovery came AFTER a recent trip in for scheduled serv/maint and although i DID mention to the serv adv...they were unable to duplicate the issue....
what i found is this: the "stutter/hesitation/cough" happens ONLY in 5th gear......it's ALMOST like as if while in 5th gear and driving at that speed range...the car almost wants to shift to 6th BUT it's like it tries and fails...thus the "cough"....??
this theory doesn't fly though because i during a "drive" while the stutter happened i was able to get the "stutter" while manually shifting and having the car stay in 5th gear....and it DID only happen while in 5th....once i manually up/down shifted it would NOT occur...but shifting BACK INTO 5th it would occur again.....
now when it DOES occur i can get around it by shifting into "manual shifting" mode, and either keeping the car in 4th for city driving, which isn't all that bad, or again manually shifting to 6th.......so i can at least "get around" the issue....
in the beginning i thought maybe it had to do with the a/c.....cuz it seemed to happen only when i had the a/c on...and oddly seemed to happen when i had people in the car...(mainly times when i use the a/c).....i finally became upset when my friend/passenger "noticed" the "stutter" himself in the ride.......

has anyone had a similar experience....or does anyone with mechanical knowledge have anything to share...
ANY info is appreciated!!
cheers
Old 10-01-2008, 03:59 PM
Members

Originally Posted by nappyjack' post='683149' date='Oct 2 2008, 12:30 AM
hello everyone....
i have noticed a situation in my 2005 545, and i am hoing there is someone else out there that might have some insight.
first the background: this 2005 545 is my second one. i first purchased the same car brand new in 2005, upgraded/traded for a 7series after a year, and due to the economy, came back to a used 2005. it's nov 2004 build date. purchaed in nov 2004 by original owener. i am second owner, acquiring the car last november (2007) with 59k miles. it has the pre-certified warranty along with the negotiated add-on to cover maintenance and such up to 100K miles. i noticed within the first month of owning the car that i had the familiar "transmission slam" issue........i was familiar with this from my first 2005 and was under the assumption that new software had supposedly "cured" this issue.....obviously it hasn't?? it doesn't bother me all that much as i think i seem to know how to avoid it...as it seems to only occur in those times of approaching a stop, but not completely stopping all the way...and then hittin' the accelerator it's like the car gets confused and "slams" into gear....it's almost like i have trained myself to avoid this kind of situation......
MY PROBLEM is actually something different...but i am wondering IF related in anyway....
i noticed maybe some months ago....about half a year "with" the car, that the car seemed to "cough" while driving on city streets....for example...driving down a main street/boulevard where traffic is flowing in the 40-55 mph range.....
while driving i noticed as if the transmission would cough/hiccup....stutter.....like for a second it almost stopped....i can't really explain it.....it was enough to feel a "jerking" feeling in the ride...no noises and NO rpm movements.....when it DID happen it would happen for the duration of that "drive" and then seem to stop after the next start/stop trip that i would make. after a few months of it happening say once a week or so.....i was able to isolate the problem....i was able to isolate the problem in the last month and i am 99% positive of my findings....of course this discovery came AFTER a recent trip in for scheduled serv/maint and although i DID mention to the serv adv...they were unable to duplicate the issue....
what i found is this: the "stutter/hesitation/cough" happens ONLY in 5th gear......it's ALMOST like as if while in 5th gear and driving at that speed range...the car almost wants to shift to 6th BUT it's like it tries and fails...thus the "cough"....??
this theory doesn't fly though because i during a "drive" while the stutter happened i was able to get the "stutter" while manually shifting and having the car stay in 5th gear....and it DID only happen while in 5th....once i manually up/down shifted it would NOT occur...but shifting BACK INTO 5th it would occur again.....
now when it DOES occur i can get around it by shifting into "manual shifting" mode, and either keeping the car in 4th for city driving, which isn't all that bad, or again manually shifting to 6th.......so i can at least "get around" the issue....
in the beginning i thought maybe it had to do with the a/c.....cuz it seemed to happen only when i had the a/c on...and oddly seemed to happen when i had people in the car...(mainly times when i use the a/c).....i finally became upset when my friend/passenger "noticed" the "stutter" himself in the ride.......

has anyone had a similar experience....or does anyone with mechanical knowledge have anything to share...
cheers
I'm sure there is a current thread not too long ago that sounds very very similar to what you describe.

Just had a quick look for you, have a read of this.
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=56472
Old 10-02-2008, 01:30 AM
Senior Members

Same thing happens to mine when i dont come to a comp;ete stop it slams really bad. Took it to the dealer of course it didnt happen when they checked. So now no warranty...
Old 10-02-2008, 08:26 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i Jet Black on Black Leather, SAT with Paddles, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, NAV, Sport Package, PDC, Xenons, Sirius, Trinity 12W LED Angel Eyes, RPi GT Exhaust, M rear spoiler, ACS Roof Spoiler, Tinted Tail Lights, Bimmian Carbon Fiber Pillar Trim, Bimmian Shadow 550i emblem, RPi Scoop, E60 Forum Cling, Mtec bulbs in fog lights, Mtec 2W LED for License Plate Light Bulbs, K&N Filter, Bimmian LED Smoked Side Markers, Blackout roundels, Carbon Fiber Kidney Grills. Retired Rides - 1989 325i convertible, 1995 M3, 2002 X5, 2005 545i, 2008 X5 (Lemon)

I would try the 25 second transmission reset trick!
Old 10-11-2008, 10:29 PM
Members

My Ride: '07 manual M5 Black/Black/Tinted, HUD, Heated Rear Seats, Logic 7, iPod interface

Originally Posted by nappyjack' post='683149' date='Oct 1 2008, 06:30 PM
hello everyone....

cheers

QUOTE (nappyjack @ Oct 1 2008, 06:30 PM)
hello everyone....

+1!!! I experience the EXACT issue. It only happens in 5th gear at around 40 mph. I have complained to the dealer, but just like in your story, they could not reproduce the problem. I am going there again on the 21st. I intend on driving with the tech. I am curious if you got any results...
Old 10-12-2008, 09:55 AM
Members

I had a delay in going into reverse and a bit of a slam, i brought mine in last friday and picked it up this tuesday with a brand new tranny. Take it to sterling in newport beach, they were excellent.