E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Transmission sleeve update!

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2013, 04:15 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 528xi (Silver)
Default Transmission sleeve update!

Just got my ATF on order and will be here soon, along with the sleeve. I had some free time to go under the car and take some pictures. now i am think maybe its the pan gasket instead of the mechactronic sleeve. the pan had oil in the back side only and was dry near the front of the pan. the sleeve looked to be dry aswell but not sure. i have attached a few photos, if that helps.

bilal_ahmed8's's Library | Photobucket

If you can look at the picture and give me an idea whats leaking and from where?

P.s I couldnt get my indy to fill my transmission, he was charging 130$ to fill the transmission. My whole repair kit from ecstuning is about 220$. I am planing to do it myself.
Old 11-24-2013, 04:38 PM
New Members

First, did you order real ZF fluid or a different type? thectsc.com has the real stuff.

Probably sleeve--personally I'd replace pan w/filter, sleeve & fluid all at once to be sure it's a done deal..
Old 11-24-2013, 04:43 PM
pcy
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: '06 530i, '07 C280 4matic, '98 ML320

Originally Posted by e60rider
... I am planing to do it myself.
Besides using the correct fluid, having the car flat/level is important, and final fill of the fluid needs to be done at the right temperature.

If you fill the trans fluid with car not being flat, you will have the incorrect amount of fluid in the trans.

Last edited by pcy; 11-24-2013 at 04:50 PM.
Old 11-24-2013, 05:11 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by pcy
Besides using the correct fluid, having the car flat/level is important, and final fill of the fluid needs to be done at the right temperature.

If you fill the trans fluid with car not being flat, you will have the incorrect amount of fluid in the trans.
Very correct.

Find the refill procedure. Basically the car has to be RUNNING and at a certain temperature when you make your final assessment of the fluid level.. it is not a fun task.

(Hey pcy, this is schpenxel btw, I used a different name over here!)
Old 11-24-2013, 05:24 PM
New Members

Thanks for the reply, i will be using a leveling tool (not sure what it is exactly called, but its like 1 meter long, with bubble to level stuff) and as far as temperature i am not sure how i could measure that (would running the car for 10 min on idle be fine?). Also i ordered Castrol Import Multi-Vehicle ATF. As far as i know castrol says it meets the m-1375.4 spec? shouldn't i just be following the spec?

And if i should cancel my order, should i just order everything from CTSC?

1.Oil change kit for 6HP19/21
2.Sealing sleeve

Do you know how long shipping would take to Michigan, Grandrapids?

thanks
Old 11-24-2013, 05:29 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by e60rider
Thanks for the reply, i will be using a leveling tool (not sure what it is exactly called, but its like 1 meter long, with bubble to level stuff) and as far as temperature i am not sure how i could measure that (would running the car for 10 min on idle be fine?). Also i ordered Castrol Import Multi-Vehicle ATF. As far as i know castrol says it meets the m-1375.4 spec? shouldn't i just be following the spec?

And if i should cancel my order, should i just order everything from CTSC?

1.Oil change kit for 6HP19/21
2.Sealing sleeve

Do you know how long shipping would take to Michigan, Grandrapids?

thanks
No, idling for 10 minutes would not be fine. You need to measure the temperature of the transmission somehow. I have seen everything from an infrared thermometer to check pan temp, meat thermometer stuck in the fill hole, and probably the easiest, via INPA. Is it TRULY going to make a huge difference? I really doubt it, but I try to do everything right when it comes to transmissions. Way too expensive to mess up.

I would cancel my order and order the real stuff from thectsc. Not worth the risk, regardless of the spec they meet. They ship out of CA, so a few days to get it.

You also need to reset transmission adaptations after you change the fluid. To do that, you need access to INPA, are you familiar with this?

Are you familiar with how fluid is added on these transmissions?
Old 11-24-2013, 05:38 PM
New Members

The only thing i know about INPA is that is programs cars LOL. I think the temperatue wouldnt be a problem as you stated with the meat thermometer. And you are right it isnt worth risking a expensive transmission to save about 50$. so i guess i will go with CTSC. As far as filling the fuild, i believe you have to have the car off, fill it with a pump (link below) and then start the car, put it through the gears and then leave it running and refill at the 35degree mark until fuild flows out fill hole like a thin stream. Also for the transmission adaption, could i use the acclerator method? and could BMW do this for me? or how hard is it to learn INPA,and what is need for INPA.
Old 11-24-2013, 05:40 PM
New Members

Have to do the above while on level surface**^^ ... the link to the pump is Multi-Use Transfer Pump ... its cheap's but its effective lol
Old 11-24-2013, 05:42 PM
New Members

for INPA just need a cable and you can download all the software for free. There are a bunch of them on ebay but the only one I have ever used was this one: http://www.one-stop-electronics.com/...&product_id=16

It is pretty much known as one that consistently works.. so that's why I spent more and got it

That's pretty much it on the fill procedure.

Personally I think the accelerator method is hogwash. There are about 5 different things that people claim you can reset with that method, lol. Throttle adaptations, valvetronic, transmission.. personally it's never done anything for me. I tried it on mine 3 or 4 times before I got INPA going without anything ever really changing. First time I actually reset adaptations in INPA was night and day difference. One thing that I am SURE happens is the valvetronics system will go through a re-learn procedure if you leave the ignition on / engine off for 30 seconds, and it makes some noise when it does it, so I think that's what people are always hearing when they try that method

BMW dealership CAN do it for you, but no idea how willing they will be to do it or what they'd charge
Old 11-24-2013, 05:54 PM
New Members

Yeah, i have tried the accelerator method didn't notice anything. I have read somewhere that you shouldnt reset the adaptation since it adapts to the wear and tear done on the transmission thoughout its life. also if it is a must, can i hold off for a bit after i change fluid/sleeve/pan?

And I am sure the cost of bmw would be the same as buying a new car lol