E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Transmission Slam

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 08:58 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone, this is my first post.

I have a UK Spec. E60 late 2003. I'm not the first own of the car. I've read a number of links on this forum about Transmission Slam and I'm certain that I'm experiencing this issue. That is a harsh jerk when coming to a stop.

I've just come back from my local BMW dealer who said that an 'up lift' to the gear box will reset all the adaptive learning of the transmission to factor default and this slam will disappear. This should have taken 30mins. Over an hour later I asked how much longer as I had come out on my lunch break, another 20 mins later! Basically, the 'up lift' programming would not take and the test drives by the tech proved it so they did not charge me. But he did not offer me any alternative diagnostics to rectify the problem.

I did speak to him about upgrading the CCC to the latest version and he advised not to. He said if it failed could cost ME ?XXXXXX!! I was a bit shocked. Its a BMW, in a BMW garage, programmed by a BMW tech with a BMW PC why should I have to pay for BMW parts if the programming fails?

Its like going in for a service and the tech drives the car into a wall and they say I have to pay for the repair!

Is it possible that the CCC programming can fail and do I have to pay for the replacement modules?

thanks,

Sorry for the long post.
Old 01-15-2009, 01:00 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 530d Executive, all options except sunroof and comfort seats ECU remapped by ZipTuning to 260+bhp.

First the CCC:
Yeah, a lot of dealers said the same thing to me. I eventually found a dealer that would update it assuring me nothing could go wrong. (It didn't, by the way)
Flashing the CCC is a timely and kinda dangerous thing to do. You need a steady power supply (battery hooked up to a charger) and a stable laptop.
A hang or instable voltage could cause your computer to break.

Then the transmission slam:
All my computers were updated to the latest version while programming the CCC, also the ECU (which destroyed my tuning software) and the transmission computer.
This did reduce the slamming somewhat, but it's not gone. I also have the problem when flooring it (kick-down) and suddenly lifting off the pedal. The tranny will shift up immediately and it will kick a bit.
As far as i know, there's nothing that can really be done about it apart from swapping with a newer transmission.
Old 01-15-2009, 03:17 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.

Originally Posted by OverSoft' post='768840' date='Jan 15 2009, 05:00 PM
First the CCC:
Yeah, a lot of dealers said the same thing to me. I eventually found a dealer that would update it assuring me nothing could go wrong. (It didn't, by the way)
Flashing the CCC is a timely and kinda dangerous thing to do. You need a steady power supply (battery hooked up to a charger) and a stable laptop.
A hang or instable voltage could cause your computer to break.

Then the transmission slam:
All my computers were updated to the latest version while programming the CCC, also the ECU (which destroyed my tuning software) and the transmission computer.
This did reduce the slamming somewhat, but it's not gone. I also have the problem when flooring it (kick-down) and suddenly lifting off the pedal. The tranny will shift up immediately and it will kick a bit.
As far as i know, there's nothing that can really be done about it apart from swapping with a newer transmission.
I agree. A tranny replacement took care of this for mine.
Old 01-16-2009, 07:00 AM
Members

Originally Posted by porsche911targa' post='768966' date='Jan 15 2009, 07:17 PM
I agree. A tranny replacement took care of this for mine.
I don't know how I can get the tranny replaced as the car is 5 years old. So I was relying on a CCC upgrade. I was told that I would have to pay for any modules that 'failed' during the upgrade is that right?
Old 01-16-2009, 02:13 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.

Originally Posted by porche944' post='769400' date='Jan 16 2009, 11:00 AM
I don't know how I can get the tranny replaced as the car is 5 years old. So I was relying on a CCC upgrade. I was told that I would have to pay for any modules that 'failed' during the upgrade is that right?
Depending on your relationship with your dealer and how you ask, often the service manager (not the SA) can make a case for you to get a goodwill repair, but first they have to agree that a tranny replacement is called for. It is possible that they would meet you half way if they can't give you the full replacement. Good luck. I hope everything works out. Let us know the outcome. Paying for something that fails during one of their procedure does not sound right to me, but then again I have not crossed this bridge yet (crossing fingers).
Old 01-17-2009, 04:03 AM
Senior Members

I have no tran slam in mine. It was updates to the latest software in October. They seem to have got round tran slam by leaving the car in 2nd gear when you come to a stop.

If I come to a complete stop for say 20 seconds when I pull away it will be in 1st gear.

If I come to a stop for say 5 seconds it will still be in 2nd, so when I pull away it does nothing while it changed into 1st gear then we are away.

That is what my cars does and reading on here serveral others do the same. Is it to over come trans slam? Not sure but I have to slam.

I have heard if the flash fails BMW will charge you for the extra labour and came be very expensive. I feel the same as you. All BMW's gear including the tech and when they mess it up they charge you
Old 01-18-2009, 09:14 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by porche944' post='769400' date='Jan 16 2009, 11:00 AM
Where are you located? Where you live has a lot to do with how BMW treats you. I have the Trans slam problem. When slowing down to 5 mph +/- as if I'm going to stop but then suddenly adding gas (light turns green) occasionally the car slams back into gear. It was so bad once I thought someone rear ended me.

Research on the board said a software upgrade was required. My dealer said that per BMW software would not fix the problem but they agreed to update it anyway. This fixed most but not all of the problem. My car is under warranty.

If a BMW dealer told me that they might screw up my car doing a BMW software update and that I would have to pay for their mistakes I would laugh at them. No way in hell would they get away with that where I live.
Old 01-18-2009, 09:33 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2015 535D M Sport

I'm not so sure that the trans slam is actually fixable. I've had two software updates specifically to fix it and although I seem to get it less often than before, it still occurs. I had one just a couple days ago after going more than a year without one. The ZF 6 speed auto is well known for this problem (just Google on it) since it first showed up in Jaguars about 5 years ago and they apparently still haven't been able to completely resolve it. If a software fix attempt is going to cost you anything, you might not want to bother.
Old 01-19-2009, 08:33 AM
Members

Thanks guys for all your information.

I live in the UK.

I think a simple fix to save the tranny, would be to wait until the car stops and then shift the gear to 1st.

I'm going to try another BMW dealer and see what response I get.

Thanks once again to everyone.
Old 01-19-2009, 08:49 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i

Originally Posted by gwf545' post='771315' date='Jan 18 2009, 11:33 PM
I'm not so sure that the trans slam is actually fixable. I've had two software updates specifically to fix it and although I seem to get it less often than before, it still occurs. I had one just a couple days ago after going more than a year without one. The ZF 6 speed auto is well known for this problem (just Google on it) since it first showed up in Jaguars about 5 years ago and they apparently still haven't been able to completely resolve it.
+1. The good news is that it makes us all better drivers, becuase the "rolling stop" through the stop sign is exactly the circumstance where it is most likely to happen (at least IME)!

Quick Reply: Transmission Slam