E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

transmission slam

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2007, 08:57 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 523i, Steptronic, Titanium Silver Metallic, Black Leather, Brown Wood Trim, Folding mirrors, Bluetooth, Voice Control, Sun Protection Glass, Park Distance Control, Sliding Armrest, Advanced Air-Con, Ipod, Electric Seats w memory, tires Dunlop sp1 225/55 R16.

hi guys,
when steptronic is in R, brake pedal is pressed, then shift to D quikly, there is a transmission slam
is this normal ?? usually happen when parking .....
Old 03-07-2007, 09:04 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Batman' post='399675' date='Mar 7 2007, 05:57 PM
hi guys,
when steptronic is in R, brake pedal is pressed, then shift to D quikly, there is a transmission slam
is this normal ?? usually happen when parking .....
I believe there are software fixes for situations similar to the one you describe.

ABC
Old 03-07-2007, 09:14 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Probably not normal... But has the car been fully stopped? or are you still rolling when you put it in D?
Old 03-07-2007, 11:27 PM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW 530i 05 M-technic Silvergrey whith beige dakotaleather

I have it on mine and BMW have tried to fixed but whith any good result. They changed something on the gearbox that have to do whith oilpump and pressuer. It is better now but I am still not 100% happy whith it. My dealer gave me extended warranty and BMW will fix it on " Good will" . Please serch the forum and see my topic about drivetrain clunk
Old 03-07-2007, 11:55 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 523i, Steptronic, Titanium Silver Metallic, Black Leather, Brown Wood Trim, Folding mirrors, Bluetooth, Voice Control, Sun Protection Glass, Park Distance Control, Sliding Armrest, Advanced Air-Con, Ipod, Electric Seats w memory, tires Dunlop sp1 225/55 R16.

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' post='400050' date='Mar 8 2007, 08:14 AM
Probably not normal... But has the car been fully stopped? or are you still rolling when you put it in D?
The car been fully stopped .
But When I wait fraction of a second on N then switch to D every thing is smooth.
The transmition slam is felt & heard when only switching gear quikly from R to D.
My dealer advised many times that this is normal . . . . .

------------------
523i/2006 - Silver/Black - Steptronic - Pdc - Folding mirrors - Electirc front seats w memory - ipod -
Old 05-13-2007, 11:16 AM
Members

Originally Posted by wowe' post='400074' date='Mar 8 2007, 04:27 AM
I have it on mine and BMW have tried to fixed but whith any good result. They changed something on the gearbox that have to do whith oilpump and pressuer. It is better now but I am still not 100% happy whith it. My dealer gave me extended warranty and BMW will fix it on " Good will" . Please serch the forum and see my topic about drivetrain clunk

Wowe, I replied to your older post on this issue and was wondering what BMW did to fix it, now I know. I seem to have the same issue from time to time. When I shift from reverse ? to drive (D) I get a clunk. It does not happen on every shift but it does happen. I have not addressed this with the dealer yet because it seems infrequent, at least at this point.
Old 05-14-2007, 03:20 AM
Members

Originally Posted by tomv' post='423957' date='May 13 2007, 09:16 PM
Wowe, I replied to your older post on this issue and was wondering what BMW did to fix it, now I know. I seem to have the same issue from time to time. When I shift from reverse ? to drive (D) I get a clunk. It does not happen on every shift but it does happen. I have not addressed this with the dealer yet because it seems infrequent, at least at this point.
hi Tomv,
this clunk happen when moving shift from R to D QUICKLY.
mean if you wait a fraction of seconds on N , it not happen , as it is smooth.
am I right ???????? just to clarify.
Old 05-14-2007, 04:39 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Batman' post='424125' date='May 14 2007, 07:20 AM
hi Tomv,
this clunk happen when moving shift from R to D QUICKLY.
mean if you wait a fraction of seconds on N , it not happen , as it is smooth.
am I right ???????? just to clarify.
Batman, I will try shifting in the manner that you suggested and see what happens. I will have to wait for a day when it feels like doing it, this does not happen all the time. Does yours happen everytime you drive the car?? I do think that when I was hearing and feeling the clunk in the past I was shifting from R to D at a normel speed, not too fast, not too slow. Did your dealer ever take efforts to resolve the problem, or do they continue to say this is normal. Wowe posted that his dealer resolved most of his issue with software upgrade and some AT work. Thanks.
Old 05-14-2007, 10:06 AM
Members

Originally Posted by tomv' post='424143' date='May 14 2007, 02:39 PM
Batman, I will try shifting in the manner that you suggested and see what happens. I will have to wait for a day when it feels like doing it, this does not happen all the time. Does yours happen everytime you drive the car?? I do think that when I was hearing and feeling the clunk in the past I was shifting from R to D at a normel speed, not too fast, not too slow. Did your dealer ever take efforts to resolve the problem, or do they continue to say this is normal. Wowe posted that his dealer resolved most of his issue with software upgrade and some AT work. Thanks.
thks Tomv, pls note:
- when shifting at normal speed or wait a while at N , it never clunk. all is ok.
- when shifting very quickly, most of times it make this stupid clunk.
my dealer clearly noticed , but as there is no faults in gearbox/AT transsmition parts when connecting car to computer, as usual he say all is normal !!
my last cip is 24.02
Old 05-15-2007, 05:01 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Batman' post='424240' date='May 14 2007, 02:06 PM
thks Tomv, pls note:
- when shifting at normal speed or wait a while at N , it never clunk. all is ok.
- when shifting very quickly, most of times it make this stupid clunk.
my dealer clearly noticed , but as there is no faults in gearbox/AT transsmition parts when connecting car to computer, as usual he say all is normal !!
my last cip is 24.02

Thanks Batman, yes you are correct, when shifting slow from R to D no clunk. I will still have dealer check this out when I go in first service, unless it gets worse, then will go sooner.

Quick Reply: transmission slam