E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

transmission slam

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2013, 01:34 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Bmw e60 530i _-_ professional navigation- mystic blue exterior- beige interior-logic7-18 inch rims-active steering-bluetooth-adaptive xenon lights-sunroof-sport steering wheel-comfort seats-tv-pdc

So today i found a mechanic which can replace the soleniods for me but told me the problem maybe from the mechatronics unit not the soleniod specifically so im not sure what to do.
Old 05-07-2013, 06:49 AM
Members

My Ride: Bmw e60 530i _-_ professional navigation- mystic blue exterior- beige interior-logic7-18 inch rims-active steering-bluetooth-adaptive xenon lights-sunroof-sport steering wheel-comfort seats-tv-pdc

Im just worried its another part in the mechatronics unit thats faulty, I forgot to add that I never changed the transmission fluid.

Last edited by bmwbimmer; 05-07-2013 at 07:47 AM.
Old 05-07-2013, 08:58 AM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bmwbimmer
Im just worried its another part in the mechatronics unit thats faulty, I forgot to add that I never changed the transmission fluid.
I have heard this response too. I am not an expert, but from what I've read on the bimmerfest thread potential areas of failure in the mechatronics unit are:

1. computer
2. the valve body
3. solenoids
4. seals

Valve body warping is possible, but rare. You're basically taking a chance that the valve body itself is still functional. Also note, the mechatronics unit itself is about $1500 from the CTSC and it comes with all the parts needed ( oil pan, fluids, etc ), so with service probably around $2k.

The decision lies with you - either go with a mechatronics replacement for over $2k or a $1.2k solenoids repair.

Good luck!
Old 05-07-2013, 12:09 PM
Members

Isnt it possible to remove the complete unit and diagnoise it ?
Old 05-08-2013, 04:56 PM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Isnt it possible to remove the complete unit and diagnoise it ?
Have you asked your mechanic yet to do this?
Have you gone through the other bimmerfest thread yet?

There are no error codes regarding a lot of these shifting issues.

In my case, I had a logged shift error code but I knew the exact instance of how it happened - it was long after the downshift jerking started to happen, and occurred while I was DS mode investigating this issue. My mechanic latched on to this code and was adamant about a transmission replacement until I accepted a no-guarantee on my work request ( after several back-and-forth emails including the CTSC ).

Without an error code, it is really difficult to diagnose this issue. From the slow progress on E60 transmission topics through multiple BMW forums I'm guessing most mechanics don't have the qualifications to properly diagnose this part, and thus can only recommend either a replacement of the mechatronics unit or the entire transmission.

Timely transmission fluid service is something I wish I had done when I initially bought the car.

Good luck!

Last edited by peachykonan; 05-08-2013 at 05:10 PM.
Old 05-08-2013, 11:19 PM
Members

So yesterday morning I started the car I got a low battery message, it went away after driving.
On my way home at night I was driving 100 or 110 km/h I heard the transmission bang and locked in a gear.
I got a tranmission fault message : certain transmission functions may be faulty. Gear may be engaged without braking. Drive moderately.
Everytime I switch from p r n d I hear a small bang
I went home I tried to restart the car but no use waited till the morning still no use. Took it to the mechanic which checked the codes and I had :
4e21 electronic pressure control valve 2

Tried to clear but it wouldnt go, he told me to keep the car as its software was not up to date he will try to update and see if its repairable by updating if not then its the mechatronics unit.
Ilupdate you.
Old 09-17-2013, 06:38 PM
New Members

My Ride: BMW e60 2005 545i 82k

So yesterday morning I started the car I got a low battery message, it went away after driving.
On my way home at night I was driving 100 or 110 km/h I heard the transmission bang and locked in a gear.
I got a tranmission fault message : certain transmission functions may be faulty. Gear may be engaged without braking. Drive moderately.
Everytime I switch from p r n d I hear a small bang
I went home I tried to restart the car but no use waited till the morning still no use. Took it to the mechanic which checked the codes and I had :
4e21 electronic pressure control valve 2

Tried to clear but it wouldnt go, he told me to keep the car as its software was not up to date he will try to update and see if its repairable by updating if not then its the mechatronics unit.
Ilupdate you.
I have the same issue currently with my 05 545i. What was your results?