E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Transmission shift rough and other tidbits

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2009, 03:34 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by porsche911targa' post='1051818' date='Nov 10 2009, 02:56 PM
Hi, I've only experienced the transmission slam from your list.

The first thig I did was I tried the 25 seconds reset. Here's a link: https://5series.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=78578

When that did not work, I went to dealer and told them that the transmission was harsh when shifting. They could not duplicate, but updated the software that supposedly would fix the problem. I got the car back and the problem was still there.

By that time, I was reading more and more about this, right on this forum, and learned that the correct term to use was "slam."

Made another appointment and asked them to have the shop foreman drive the car. He could not duplicate the problem, but when I described the "slam" he said he knew exactly what to look for and that he was going to perform some mechanical checks to confirm his suspicions. Later I get the call that his mechanical check came back positive and that they were going to replace my transmission under warranty.

I am happy to report that after more than 6 months, my new transmission has no slam and it still is velvety smooth. Hope you can get your resolved. G/L

Just to be clear as I am a newbie. If I'm experiencing the "slam" when coming to a stop, the 25 second reser could possibly fix that issue? My 530i is a 2007 CPO and when I told my SA about this issue he told me there was not a fix for this. Sounds like I need to do more digging.
Old 12-11-2009, 04:29 PM
Members

Just wanted to give an update on my transmission issue. I tried the 25 second reset and no changes. Today I dropped off my 07 530i at BMW of Annapolis and after they checked it out they told me that they have to talk to the BMW engineers to see what the proper fix is for the "slam" on the trans when coming to a stop. ONe other thing I noticed is that even in manual mode when at a complete stop the trans would jerk when downshifting from 2nd to 1st. Anyways, car is staying at the dealer until they talk to the engineers (in Germany apparently). I'll keep you guys posted on the details. Prior to this I had the transpan gasket/mechtronic sleeve replaced due to a leak and this did not fix the issue. I did get a loaner 2008 328i which is fun to drive around, but I do miss the smoothness and roominess of my 530. I'm happy with the service at BMW of Annapolis...got a good SA.
Old 12-11-2009, 07:44 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 550

when i come to a complete stop i hear a noise that i think is the same noise when u drive over a sewer cap..does this my suspension is going bad?
Old 12-14-2009, 05:00 PM
Members

Originally Posted by DB530i' post='1072391' date='Dec 11 2009, 08:29 PM
Just wanted to give an update on my transmission issue. I tried the 25 second reset and no changes. Today I dropped off my 07 530i at BMW of Annapolis and after they checked it out they told me that they have to talk to the BMW engineers to see what the proper fix is for the "slam" on the trans when coming to a stop. ONe other thing I noticed is that even in manual mode when at a complete stop the trans would jerk when downshifting from 2nd to 1st. Anyways, car is staying at the dealer until they talk to the engineers (in Germany apparently). I'll keep you guys posted on the details. Prior to this I had the transpan gasket/mechtronic sleeve replaced due to a leak and this did not fix the issue. I did get a loaner 2008 328i which is fun to drive around, but I do miss the smoothness and roominess of my 530. I'm happy with the service at BMW of Annapolis...got a good SA.
Update: Just picked up my ride from the dealer. Looks like the trans was 1 liter low on fluid. When the transpan gasket was replaced the fluid was not topped off properly. Apparently if the fluid is not at the correct temp, the amount of fluid in the trans can be misread. This sounds really complicated...too bad there is no dipstick to make it easier to check the trans fluid. The trans is smooth now and there is no more slamming or jerking when coming to a stop.
Old 12-17-2009, 09:51 AM
Members

Originally Posted by DB530i' post='1072391' date='Dec 11 2009, 08:29 PM
I had exact same experience with my 07 530xi early this year. Tischer BMW replaced the trans pan gasket twice (2 visits), follow by adding 1 liter of trans fluid (3rd visits). The trans was good for couple days, and then slam came back. I open up a case with BMWNA and they told me that I had to wait for a month (Oct) for the latest software release. I had trans software updated in Oct and it is much better now (not 100% smooth during up shift, still). The jerking almost never happen and when it does, it's very mild (hard to notice).

Ask for the software update. Now I am dealing with dashboard popping (1 vist already), smoke coming from the front grill (2 visits, 2 cooling pressure tested) and suspension bottom out sound in the cold morning.
Old 12-17-2009, 03:34 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.

BHA, have you had a chance to get your car checked? What was the outcome?
Old 12-17-2009, 04:30 PM
Contributors

My Ride: SOLD...Jet Black 2008 550i M Sport with SAT, black interior. RPI exhaust and air scoop, 35% huper optik tint all around, CF roundels, flat black kidneys, Springfield Armory XD-40 jet black in glove box, charcoal filter removed.

Hey, I did. Nothing wrong with the suspension at all.

Regarding the tranny slam, they couldn't reproduce it and said everything looked fine. They did find a fault in the system referring to a voltage regulator off the battery, i forget the part name now. they replace that part under warranty and told me everything else was ok.

I still have a slight tranny slam issue at times, but i'm thinking its just the way it's gonna be. I pretty much garaged the car for the winter now, so when it heats up outside again I'll take it out for some long trips and see how it goes.

Thanks for asking!
Old 12-19-2009, 04:59 PM
Members

Not sure if the drop in temperature has anything to do with the transmission, but 4 days after getting my car back from the dealer and getting the trans checked, the "slam" has returned when coming to a stop. all was good, but now not sure. I'll monitor it for a few more days and see what's going on. Hate to have to go back to the dealer, but this is not something I want to accept as normal. I don't like the jerking when slowing down to a stop. This is getting a bit annoying. :thumbsdown: