E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Transmission shift rough and other tidbits

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 05:44 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: SOLD...Jet Black 2008 550i M Sport with SAT, black interior. RPI exhaust and air scoop, 35% huper optik tint all around, CF roundels, flat black kidneys, Springfield Armory XD-40 jet black in glove box, charcoal filter removed.

So, my wife and I took a long weekend and stayed in Philly for two days then AC for one. Took the 550, first trip with it since i picked it up in September. A few items of note:

1. Awesome car when cruising down the turnpike.
2. Not so awesome when starting from a rolling or out right stopped stop - i mean if you try to goose it, like out of the toll booth, it slams into gear - the dreaded software issue where the software by default wants to start out in 2nd to increase efficiency versus my foot that wants to increase power and speed. So the car ends up slaming down into 1st. IS THERE A SOFTWARE FIX FOR THIS FROM BMW YET? AND IF SO, DO I JUST TELL THEM ITS SHIFTING HARD AND THEY UPDATE THE SOFTWARE?
3. While driving around the cities at slow speeds, I heard what sounded like the shocks bottoming (or topping) out, like a hard knock, when going over relatively minor bumps in the road. Nothing major, no grinding, nothing like that, but almost like the shock was fully compressed or something and these were not big holes nor was i going fast at all. Hmmmmm.
4. I took the spare tire out - then packed in a ton of luggage (mostly the misses). But, minus the luggage, I'm wondering what the effect on the cars weight distribution and handling the removal of the spare tire and the removal of my OEM exhaust with the RPI axle back replace, has? Together I'm guessing the weight loss from the rear of the car is around 50-80 pounds.

I made an appt for Fri the 20th at BMW to have the rough shifting and sound checked out. Any pointers on how to word it or what to look for, assuming this is a known issue that has been fixed with software but that software upgrade is a PITA to get approved from BMW NA?

What do you think?
Old 11-10-2009, 10:56 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.

Hi, I've only experienced the transmission slam from your list.

The first thig I did was I tried the 25 seconds reset. Here's a link: https://5series.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=78578

When that did not work, I went to dealer and told them that the transmission was harsh when shifting. They could not duplicate, but updated the software that supposedly would fix the problem. I got the car back and the problem was still there.

By that time, I was reading more and more about this, right on this forum, and learned that the correct term to use was "slam."

Made another appointment and asked them to have the shop foreman drive the car. He could not duplicate the problem, but when I described the "slam" he said he knew exactly what to look for and that he was going to perform some mechanical checks to confirm his suspicions. Later I get the call that his mechanical check came back positive and that they were going to replace my transmission under warranty.

I am happy to report that after more than 6 months, my new transmission has no slam and it still is velvety smooth. Hope you can get your resolved. G/L
Old 11-10-2009, 11:37 AM
Contributors

My Ride: A Car faster than yours.....

Its definately a software/electrical issue that can be pretty annoying. Its as if you cant have a cup of coffee and drive your car otherwise youll spill it if you come to a stop.
Old 11-10-2009, 02:44 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.

Originally Posted by RPIpower' post='1051851' date='Nov 10 2009, 03:37 PM
Its definately a software/electrical issue that can be pretty annoying. Its as if you cant have a cup of coffee and drive your car otherwise youll spill it if you come to a stop.
I found it particularly annoying when I used to spill my Veuve Cliquot all over my lap. It wasn't so bad with beer as the bottle had a long neck.
Old 11-11-2009, 12:08 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550i sport SAT 2012 535i Xdrive msport 2007 550i Sport w/SMG (gone) 2000 528i (gone) 1991 535i (gone)

Originally Posted by porsche911targa' post='1051818' date='Nov 10 2009, 02:56 PM
Hi, I've only experienced the transmission slam from your list.

The first thig I did was I tried the 25 seconds reset. Here's a link: https://5series.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=78578

When that did not work, I went to dealer and told them that the transmission was harsh when shifting. They could not duplicate, but updated the software that supposedly would fix the problem. I got the car back and the problem was still there.

By that time, I was reading more and more about this, right on this forum, and learned that the correct term to use was "slam."

Made another appointment and asked them to have the shop foreman drive the car. He could not duplicate the problem, but when I described the "slam" he said he knew exactly what to look for and that he was going to perform some mechanical checks to confirm his suspicions. Later I get the call that his mechanical check came back positive and that they were going to replace my transmission under warranty.

I am happy to report that after more than 6 months, my new transmission has no slam and it still is velvety smooth. Hope you can get your resolved. G/L

Boy, you are lucky!!! I have been to the dealer 6 different times regarding jerking when coming to a stop. BMW refused to replace my tranny saying that it will not solve the problem. that the jerking when coming to a stop is perfect normal car operation. I must be the only one that is getting screwed here by BMW. Glad for you that your SA did the right thing.
Old 11-11-2009, 12:09 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550i sport SAT 2012 535i Xdrive msport 2007 550i Sport w/SMG (gone) 2000 528i (gone) 1991 535i (gone)

Originally Posted by RPIpower' post='1051851' date='Nov 10 2009, 03:37 PM

I gave up coffee when driving. thanks for making me cranky without my morning coffee BMW.
Old 11-11-2009, 12:16 PM
Contributors

My Ride: SOLD...Jet Black 2008 550i M Sport with SAT, black interior. RPI exhaust and air scoop, 35% huper optik tint all around, CF roundels, flat black kidneys, Springfield Armory XD-40 jet black in glove box, charcoal filter removed.

you know what, i have come to the conclusion that I'm about to give up my morning coffee in the car too. I'm sick of cleaning my leather seat when the coffee spills out of the cup in the cup holder when I start and stop.
Old 11-11-2009, 03:22 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by lee1224' post='1052573' date='Nov 11 2009, 04:08 PM
Boy, you are lucky!!! I have been to the dealer 6 different times regarding jerking when coming to a stop. BMW refused to replace my tranny saying that it will not solve the problem. that the jerking when coming to a stop is perfect normal car operation. I must be the only one that is getting screwed here by BMW. Glad for you that your SA did the right thing.
From the looks and sound of it, it looks like I have been blessed with a great dealer. My SA is totally great and I'm pretty sure that I will be a customer for life.
Old 11-11-2009, 03:41 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 BMW 545I M sport suspension Active Steering M sport interior Navi Low ride sports

Originally Posted by bha7176' post='1051610' date='Nov 10 2009, 09:44 AM
So, my wife and I took a long weekend and stayed in Philly for two days then AC for one. Took the 550, first trip with it since i picked it up in September. A few items of note:

1. Awesome car when cruising down the turnpike.
2. Not so awesome when starting from a rolling or out right stopped stop - i mean if you try to goose it, like out of the toll booth, it slams into gear - the dreaded software issue where the software by default wants to start out in 2nd to increase efficiency versus my foot that wants to increase power and speed. So the car ends up slaming down into 1st. IS THERE A SOFTWARE FIX FOR THIS FROM BMW YET? AND IF SO, DO I JUST TELL THEM ITS SHIFTING HARD AND THEY UPDATE THE SOFTWARE?
3. While driving around the cities at slow speeds, I heard what sounded like the shocks bottoming (or topping) out, like a hard knock, when going over relatively minor bumps in the road. Nothing major, no grinding, nothing like that, but almost like the shock was fully compressed or something and these were not big holes nor was i going fast at all. Hmmmmm.
4. I took the spare tire out - then packed in a ton of luggage (mostly the misses). But, minus the luggage, I'm wondering what the effect on the cars weight distribution and handling the removal of the spare tire and the removal of my OEM exhaust with the RPI axle back replace, has? Together I'm guessing the weight loss from the rear of the car is around 50-80 pounds.

I made an appt for Fri the 20th at BMW to have the rough shifting and sound checked out. Any pointers on how to word it or what to look for, assuming this is a known issue that has been fixed with software but that software upgrade is a PITA to get approved from BMW NA?

What do you think?

depending on the mileage..the knocking noise you here could be coming from the swar bar link kits or the upper strut mount..if your links are loose this could cause a knocking noise over any imperfection in the road and the same goes for the upper strut mount...your knocking noise most likely will be coming from your suspension... good luck at the dealer and keep us posted
Old 11-12-2009, 04:34 AM
Contributors

Car only has 16,500 miles on it. I haven't noticed the knocking noise lately, but of course still have the transmission "slam" (thanks porsche911targa for the proper term).

Quick Reply: Transmission shift rough and other tidbits