E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Transmission Repair on 05 530i

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2014, 06:14 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 05 BMW 530I
Default Transmission Repair on 05 530i

Does any one know a good indy shop in Tampa FL to have the solenoids, bridge seal, and sealing sleeve in the transmission changed out.
Old 03-25-2014, 11:15 AM
New Members

My Ride: e60 2004 530i

i had rpm flutter issue . got solved by just changing transmission oil. all u need is transmission fluid, transmission filter pan , any trained mechanic can change it for you.
İ gave it a shot without changing solenoids. car runs fine
Old 03-25-2014, 11:43 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: 530i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54

If OP is having the issues most of us are having, a simple fluid change isn't going to do a thing.

seanjordan how mechanically inclined are you? do you have the space/time to do it yourself? I just got done doing this less than a week ago and can walk you through it if needed.

I would have recommended Lutz Performance over on Dale Mabry Hwy but apparently that place closed up. I pass by another shop called VORTEX that does a lot of work on German cars, they're on Hillsborough by the airport. I have no experience with them other than passing by on my way home every day.
Old 03-25-2014, 12:57 PM
Super Moderator

Received 311 Likes on 298 Posts
My Ride: 05 530i M54
Model Year: 05 530i
Engine: 3.0 M54

Originally Posted by KyleB
If OP is having the issues most of us are having, a simple fluid change isn't going to do a thing.

seanjordan how mechanically inclined are you? do you have the space/time to do it yourself? I just got done doing this less than a week ago and can walk you through it if needed.

I would have recommended Lutz Performance over on Dale Mabry Hwy but apparently that place closed up. I pass by another shop called VORTEX that does a lot of work on German cars, they're on Hillsborough by the airport. I have no experience with them other than passing by on my way home every day.
I do most of my mechanic work but am too scared to mess with the transmission. I know about Lutz and know they are closed and many of them are closing. I have no idea why. The one I did use and trusted closed early last year and now im stuck. I think I can do it with the right direction just have no idea where to start.

Space is not a problem. If it is too big for the garage I can go on Macdill to do it one Saturday. Was it an all day job?
Old 03-25-2014, 12:58 PM
Super Moderator

Received 311 Likes on 298 Posts
My Ride: 05 530i M54
Model Year: 05 530i
Engine: 3.0 M54

Originally Posted by syed fazlu
i had rpm flutter issue . got solved by just changing transmission oil. all u need is transmission fluid, transmission filter pan , any trained mechanic can change it for you.
İ gave it a shot without changing solenoids. car runs fine

Trust me syed fazlu if it were that simple it would of been done 50000 miles ago
Old 03-25-2014, 02:36 PM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by seanjordan20

Space is not a problem. If it is too big for the garage I can go on Macdill to do it one Saturday. Was it an all day job?
Definitely not an all day job. If you start early in the morning you'll be sipping a cold beer by 3.

If you're confident with your abilities, I guarantee you can handle it. It really isn't a big deal. The trickiest part of the whole job is getting the mechatronic sealing sleeve in; there is only enough room for the sleeve and one of your hands, and it's not visible. you have to install it by feel. But even that only took me about 10 to 15 minutes of trying before it dropped in and I continued on my way.

It's definitely doable working with a car on stands, but like everything else doing it on a lift makes it a million times easier. I am fortunate enough to have access to a four post lift.

If you decide to do it yourself, let me know and I can talk you through it if needed. what year and model is your car?
Old 03-25-2014, 06:44 PM
twh
Members
Senior Members

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 530xi 6MT
Model Year: 2006
Engine: N52

I assume you have to remove the valve body -- is that true? I did the equivalent job of mechatronic sleeve replacement on my daughter's Mazda 3 a couple months ago. The external connector watertight seal had failed and one of the pins disintegrated and caused the transmission to malfunction. I had never removed a valve body before this repair. A couple parts did fall out when I lowered the valve body, but I had the service manual, so I could figure where the went back. In the end, it wasn't that bad. All on jack stands. And, Mazda 3 transmission oil pan uses silicone gasket and not rubber gasket. That is an added PITA. Think clean and methodical and use a torque wrench. If you have tackled other medium jobs, you can do this.
Old 03-26-2014, 03:19 AM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by twh
I assume you have to remove the valve body -- is that true? I did the equivalent job of mechatronic sleeve replacement on my daughter's Mazda 3 a couple months ago. The external connector watertight seal had failed and one of the pins disintegrated and caused the transmission to malfunction. I had never removed a valve body before this repair. A couple parts did fall out when I lowered the valve body, but I had the service manual, so I could figure where the went back. In the end, it wasn't that bad. All on jack stands. And, Mazda 3 transmission oil pan uses silicone gasket and not rubber gasket. That is an added PITA. Think clean and methodical and use a torque wrench. If you have tackled other medium jobs, you can do this.
Yes, the valve body ("mechatronic") needs to come completely out of the transmission to do this. As twh said, if you have tackled other things of moderate complexity in your car, this will be a breeze. The keys are to take your time, and use a torque wrench.
Old 03-26-2014, 03:20 AM
Members
Senior Members

I'll post a DIY this weekend with pictures that I took along the way.
Old 03-26-2014, 03:36 AM
Members

My Ride: 05 BMW 530I

Originally Posted by KyleB
I'll post a DIY this weekend with pictures that I took along the way.
ok thanks

Quick Reply: Transmission Repair on 05 530i